Options

It's finally happened!

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got a job offer for an entry-level I.T. position (Help Desk) within a medium sized organization. I thought this day would never come. After going on 30+ interviews over the span of 2 years, and feeling as if I would never be able to get my foot in the door... I can definitely say the feeling is unbelievable. I am so glad I can now couple my degree with the experience I will be obtaining. For others out there who are going through the same thing, don't give up! It will happen.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I remember your posts and know you've been struggling for a while. I am delighted to see this. Best of luck and congrats!
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Congrats and enjoy your new opportunity, hope you have plenty of chances to keep learning
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Incredible determination. You kept at it and succeeded! Learn all you can :)
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    Thank You All! and everyone else that encouraged me on previous posts. I was growing frustrated and wanted to give up, but I kept going. I definitely want to learn more. I was told I would not only be doing Help Desk, but some networking as well. I'll also be troubleshooting not only Windows OS, but Apple OS as well including Ipads. I think this position will give me a lot of experience and I'm looking forward to it.:D
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yes!!!!!!! Good job brother!!!!

Party time!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very Cool! Make the best of it.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You kept trying for 2 years? Now that's determination! Great work!
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, took me a while too. I bet you feel great.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Well done, congratulations.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Congrats on the new job! I just accepted an offer myself for my first help desk position.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Congratulations! That's some serious dedication. What kind of technologies will you be working with and supporting?
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Way to go. Just know that your journey doesn't stop here. Continue to improve yourself everyday, and learn as much as you can. Volunteer for projects, take on additional trouble tickets, and show them how bad you want to grow. I'm sure you will move up within the company or get enough experience to make it where you want to be. Congratulations sister.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Nice, what's funny is you will look back on this years from now and tell others "Years ago when I first started, I worked for a Help Desk bla bla bla". It all starts somewhere and now it is only up to you where it leads.

Congrats again! You should not spend much time on a Help Desk if you are solid and show you have more to offer. If you have RDP, ping, dns, dhcp, traceroute down then you should already be a step ahead of others. :)
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just for the record, she's a she icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats with the new job, keep us updated on how it goes :)
  • Options
    Thank you.. I was tired of informing everyone and I understand that there are not that many women in I.T. so I'm part of the minority in the I.T. world.
  • Options
    Actually Ping, DNS and DHCP were some of the interview questions. I want to go in there and absorb and do as much as I can. I'm very eager to learn.
  • Options
    Way to go. Just know that your journey doesn't stop here. Continue to improve yourself everyday, and learn as much as you can. Volunteer for projects, take on additional trouble tickets, and show them how bad you want to grow. I'm sure you will move up within the company or get enough experience to make it where you want to be. Congratulations brother.

Yes, that is my plan. To learn and do as much I can.
  • Options
    tkerber wrote: »
    Congratulations! That's some serious dedication. What kind of technologies will you be working with and supporting?

So far I know I'll be troubleshooting Windows OS, Apple OS, including Ipad's. From they told me it's a mix of both networking and help desk. They're I.T. department is pretty small so from what I understand I'll be able to work in a bunch of different areas, and I couldn't be happier. I would love to learn networking and not just do help desk all day. I believe it will make me more valuable. Once I feel confident with my knowledge and skills my plan is to sit for a few certs...
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job! I just accepted an offer myself for my first help desk position.

CONGRATS! Looks like we're both on our first journey into the world of I.T.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    So far I know I'll be troubleshooting Windows OS, Apple OS, including Ipad's. From they told me it's a mix of both networking and help desk. They're I.T. department is pretty small so from what I understand I'll be able to work in a bunch of different areas, and I couldn't be happier. I would love to learn networking and not just do help desk all day. I believe it will make me more valuable. Once I feel confident with my knowledge and skills my plan is to sit for a few certs...

That's the way to go! Smaller companies like that are a great place to start because they often times allow you to get your hands dirty in a lot of different areas that would otherwise be considered out of your pay grade. I would also check if this new company would pay for your certifications. That would be a huge plus as well.
  • Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS. I remember you posing on my thread when I got hired saying how it helped keep you encouraged. I am glad you finally found a position. sounds like you will get to work on a lot. Just make sure that you keep learning and challenging yourself. I know the relief that you feel right now knowing that you have that first IT job in the bag.

Good luck, and great job persevering through all of the rejections and no responses that I am sure you had before getting where you are now.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    cygnus21 wrote: »
    CONGRATS. I remember you posing on my thread when I got hired saying how it helped keep you encouraged. I am glad you finally found a position. sounds like you will get to work on a lot. Just make sure that you keep learning and challenging yourself. I know the relief that you feel right now knowing that you have that first IT job in the bag.

Good luck, and great job persevering through all of the rejections and no responses that I am sure you had before getting where you are now.

Yes, I remember being inspired by your post. I definitely related to your frustration. I'm so glad my search is over and I'm able to add this job to my resume. Thanks, and yes it was tough to persevere through all the rejections, but I honestly think things happen for a reason and maybe this was supposed to be the job for me. It's only ten minutes away from my home so that's an even bigger plus. :D
  • Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is an amazing plus. My job moved to a new office that is 15 min from my home and I love it.

Good luck to you!!!
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    TawazTawaz Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hie
    I am new here.Congradulations!!!!
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats OP!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the job offer. I wish you well in your endeavor into the IT world. Make sure to have fun with the job and learn as much as you can from fellow peers.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.