Options

It's finally happened!

2»

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You will do great. I too spent some time hunting for the first place to give me a shot (not as long as you though).

The thing you will soon find out, is while you had to hunt this job down and work hard to get i"n" your new coworkers may not have had to do the same thing. You will discover that you even have a few coworkers that don't like IT and that this is just better than "digging ditches"!!!

You have a zeal for this job that others do not. Thats why you will do well.
  • Options
    Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    big congrats. I've been trying for about a year now. I got a job offer, but it depends on a security clearance, and I'm not sure if i will get it, and i may have needed to get the interim clearance which i definitely didn't get. I'm still looking to be safe, and its pretty discouraging. every job i see wants a clearance or x years experience. The area I live in sucks too. No opportunity.

Anyways, just wondering how you finally got your job? What changes did you make in your approach? Did you have no experience, but then get a cert? Did you tweak your resume? Or did you just keep trying until somebody took a chance on you? Just wondering what your background is and how you got the job.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am wondering this too. What, if any, certs do you have? Did you get a degree in IT from a college?

I am going to graduate with an associates in the fall, and am working towards my CCNA, MCSA, RHCSA, Wireshark and VCP certs right now.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on your new opportunity!! Keep on learning ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Congrats, OP!
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    I am going to graduate with an associates in the fall, and am working towards my CCNA, MCSA, RHCSA, Wireshark and VCP certs right now.

Wait.. Huh?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kimura410 wrote: »
    big congrats. I've been trying for about a year now. I got a job offer, but it depends on a security
    clearance, and I'm not sure if i will get it, and i may have needed to get the interim clearance which i definitely didn't get. I'm still looking to be safe, and its pretty discouraging. every job i see wants a clearance or x years experience. The area I live in sucks too. No opportunity.

Anyways, just wondering how you finally got your job? What changes did you make in your approach? Did you have no experience, but then get a cert? Did you tweak your resume? Or did you just keep trying until somebody took a chance on you? Just wondering what your background is and how you got the job.
    Thanks!

In all honesty I didn't change anything. I just finally found a place willing to give me a chance. I'm going to stress to you though, what my professors in college stressed to me- NETWORK! I've been doing a lot of networking with people whom I know work in the I.T. field. I explain my situation, passion and drive. I've witnessed other people with no I.T. backgroud, experience or education get I.T. jobs because they networked.
  • Options
    I forgot to add I have a Bachelors in ITM (Information Technology Managment), basically the same degree as a Bachelors in MIS.
  • Options
    I am wondering this too. What, if any, certs do you have? Did you get a degree in IT from a college?

I have no certs, but I do plan to get some once I get the hands-on experience.

All I have on my resume are a B.A. in Information Technology Management along with a 6 month internship working in software development, help desk and networking. That is all I bring to the table along with my passion and drive.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Wait.. Huh?

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that, lol.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180

So are you taking all of the exams at once or what? lol
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    So are you taking all of the exams at once or what? lol

The only thing I can imagine is he is enrolled in several classes as part of his major with tracts leading to each certification, though, even then it is a stretch. Perhaps he just meant it's in his "plan" and not that he's actively working towards each one at this very moment...

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt (when I'm in a good mood anyways.)
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2