Options

McAfee rescinded job offer

2»

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experiences like this are why I just said "f it" and am hammering out my degree. I'm 4 classes away and just completed my math credit today after pushing it off for the past 8 years. My degree will have nothing to do with what I work in but it's just one of those "check boxes" that needs to be done with in this day in age.

Someone said not too long ago that a bachelors is becoming the new high school diploma, that is, the de facto standard of education.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    My experience is that the job listing says related industry but the HR department is satisfied with anything. I am sure every company and department will have a different take on this.

They wanted any IT related degree.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow - How incredibly lame of Intel Security or whatever they call themselves today. I'm often amazed by how dysfunctional some companies can become where support functions like HR set policies which do not align with business needs. It's kinda pathetic actually. You are better off looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Wow - How incredibly lame of Intel Security or whatever they call themselves today. I'm often amazed by how dysfunctional some companies can become where support functions like HR set policies which do not align with business needs. It's kinda pathetic actually. You are better off looking elsewhere.

To be honest I never applied to the position, I got a call outta the blue. I'm like why not, I don't have anything to lose. Anyways, thats in the past I'm focused on my current job and my degree. I'll be fine. As long as I continously improve myself and keep my membership of techexams for good information, I'll be fine lol.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ...so you were contacted about the McAfee job first, and they later rescinded the offer because your credentials - which they knew about well in advance?

Sounds fishy to me, I'm wondering if they got a 'home run' candidate at the last minute - or perhaps the job was given to someone with connections. I definitely wouldn't worry about this one, it stands out to me as extremely odd and not the norm.
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    ...so you were contacted about the McAfee job first, and they later rescinded the offer because your credentials - which they knew about well in advance?

Sounds fishy to me, I'm wondering if they got a 'home run' candidate at the last minute - or perhaps the job was given to someone with connections. I definitely wouldn't worry about this one, it stands out to me as extremely odd and not the norm.

Just updating your resume on several job sites and changing the status to seriously looking for a job will turn your phone to something else. Recruiters blow up my phone like crazy, offering all sorts of offer I don't like or I don't qualify for or I'm over qualified for.I turned down a position with the NIH on Friday because it wasn't a good fit. I've used McAfee tools alot that's why I wanted this job.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IT is becoming an industry where folks need to be able to learn alot very quickly. In addition IT folks are more and more needing to have other knowledge outside of the IT realm. Like it or not, a Degree shows that someone can learn and retain a wide array of information and thats why companies ask and sometimes require them. Granted many folks without a degree can do so as well. But i'm not surprised that companies do this especially for more senior roles. That Degree may not be that important early on in an IT career, but the deeper you get the more important it becomes for access to better roles as well as acting as a bit of insurance. And like someone said earlier, with the Bachelors becoming the new HS diploma, that really only means that more and more companies will require them.
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The timing of all this really does suck for you and I am sorry. I think they should of hired you becuase you are close to being done with your degree. I guess they had to draw the line in the sand somewhere, just a tad extreme for my taste.

I am on the other side of that coin you just experienced. The company I currently work for doesn't really value degrees or certs. Only time it matters is when the annual evals are due. Since I do my own eval and my managers just write in comments it's only mentioned becuase I mention it. Otherwise I doubt they really care. As long as every employee meets the minimum job requirements the government mandates they don't care about anything else.

So while it might suck for non degreed folk when a degree requirement is mentioned sometimes it might show the company values things like that. That's a company I wouldn't mind working for. This is just my opinion it's not a one size fits all one either.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    He was contacted by a recruiter. A lot of them have the title of "manager" so it can be misleading. But, that explains what is happening.

Recruiter wanted him as they are very familiar with the requirements for a specific contract. A lot of contracts allow for someone who is a non-degree with ample experience and/or certifications to hold a position that dictates a degree. You simply may not have enough experience to qualify depending on how the rate sheet was written. I have seen it skewed one way or the other, it depends on the Fed side and how that PM or Branch Chief sees "talent". Some like degrees, some like experience and certs, some want it all.

The odd part is that you were to be hired as a consultant. So, I think you were to be hired as a stop-gap for them to have a hot body to charge to the contract for them (McAfee) to make money and maintain their projected ROI. It's better that you did not take this contract as it maybe have been rather short.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    curtisc83 wrote: »
    So while it might suck for non degreed folk when a degree requirement is mentioned sometimes it might show the company values things like that. That's a company I wouldn't mind working for. This is just my opinion it's not a one size fits all one either.

It's not that they require a degree that sucks, it's that the manager and the engineer, the ones that know what it takes to actually do the job, picked this person and where obviously confident in their abilities. Yet some HR tick mark stopped it from happening. Who would want to work for a company with such ridiculously rigid standards? What's next, you are 10 minutes late back from lunch and get written up?

HR in most of the companies I have worked for do not really get in the way of hiring outside of back ground checks and things like that. I've obviously never worked for a company that has a strict degree policy though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.