Options

Need Advice: For Profit or Private Not for profit university?

fusestonefusestone Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.
I'm going back and forth on this I would like some advice particularly if you have knowledge of what employers or HR folks are looking for or how they view degrees.
Currently I am enrolled in an online program at a for profit university that is regionally accredited. All Gen Ed are about to be completed and I will move into the core courses for IT.
That being said I live near a private non profit university that also has an IT program though the school is expensive (28k) a year. Being military I get an amazing discount It will still be a considerable cost on my part from what I am currently paying (but I can swing it without loans). I have applied to the private uni and I have been accepted with all of my Gen Ed completed. I can start the program soon and a majority of it is online.
My question is this: will employers be that much more impressed with the private school degree over the for profit online school that I can justify the eventual cost that i will pay out of pocket?

Thank you for reading. And for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Even without naming the schools don't do a for profit program.
  • Options
    Maybe that will help if anyone needs to know the for profit is AMU. Personally I think its a decent school but I understand the stigma that's why I'm considering the move and would like advice.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I spent the last 2 years in higher ed. I really don't recommend for profit degrees.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not really sure if employers would be THAT much more impressed with a private school, unless it was a well known one like MIT or Stanford, or if it has a good reputation in your area. Like Polynomial said, it would probably be best to avoid a for-profit school, mainly because of their methods. I'm not sure if it would be necessarily worth it to go to the private school either because of the cost. Is there a state college or university that you could go to? Usually they'd be much cheaper than a for-profit school and a private school.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Employers will be more impressed by people who were smart enough not to make someone else rich with their tuition dollars. Nonprofit every time! You simply get more for your money.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think you're over-thinking the investment of an undergrad degree...you should not be blowing $100k just to get a BS. I would cap it at $40k max and call it a day.

Also, aside from the military benefits you should look into what other grants/scholarships you qualify for.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    My old roommate got $100k in debt with one of those for profit schools, now his parents get a monthly eviction notice when he fails to pay his $500 payment.

If you can, jump ship ASAP bro.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    AMU has a very good reputation. That said, what program are you in and what is the cost to finish it? How does it compare in cost and time to AMU? Would WGU work for you? Total cost likely under $6500.
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    AMU has a very good reputation.

I take issue with that statement. All my research points to a mixed-at-best reputation.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    fusestone wrote: »
    Hello.
    I'm going back and forth on this I would like some advice particularly if you have knowledge of what employers or HR folks are looking for or how they view degrees.
    Currently I am enrolled in an online program at a for profit university that is regionally accredited. All Gen Ed are about to be completed and I will move into the core courses for IT.
    That being said I live near a private non profit university that also has an IT program though the school is expensive (28k) a year. Being military I get an amazing discount It will still be a considerable cost on my part from what I am currently paying (but I can swing it without loans). I have applied to the private uni and I have been accepted with all of my Gen Ed completed. I can start the program soon and a majority of it is online.
    My question is this: will employers be that much more impressed with the private school degree over the for profit online school that I can justify the eventual cost that i will pay out of pocket?

It doesn't surprise me you're going to a for profit because you're military and that is who they target most. I would honestly RUN from any for profit school and never go back. They're not about higher education, they're about taking something honorable (a degree) and turning it into a cash cow for profit. Just google for profit school reviews (ex: ITT, Devry, NAU, University of Phoenix, etc)--they're all bad. Some better than others, but at the end of the day I would seriously avoid any for profit like the plague.

Recently I called WGU because everyone on here seems to highly recommend them. I called them up, talked about my certs, experience, etc. The counselor was really laid back not trying to push me, just giving me information. I then asked what tuition was and he said for my program and with what I told him so far it would be about 6.6K a year....With books....

WGU is also non profit and is regionally accredited. Besides just WGU several state universities now have fully online and affordable programs. For me I could go to the U of M (Big 10 school) online for about 10K a year (instate tuition).

Also some for profit degrees really do get you in trouble with finding a job. A tech I used to work with had a degree for ITT, he said it was the worst idea he ever had. He's told me that he's actually applied to a few jobs and left it off his resume. It's sad because he is a smart guy and has a lot of experience but hasn't busted past entry level help desk.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Unfortunately I went to a for profit "college" back in 2002 for my AS degree. Biggest mistake ever but back then people really didn't know any better. I'll be paying for that mistake for some years to come. I started all over in 2004 on my AA through a public community college, before going onto my bachelors at UF. Don't invest another dime or minute into a for profit college. Run. As fast and as far away as possible. There's just absolutely no reason to even consider a for profit college nowadays.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Go work at Burger King, go into the woods and forage for nuts and berries, do not go back to college.”

- how I feel about Heald/ITT Tech.
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    AMU has a very good reputation. That said, what program are you in and what is the cost to finish it? How does it compare in cost and time to AMU? Would WGU work for you? Total cost likely under $6500.
    Yes I have considered WGU however A. I Do not have an associates degree (going straight for BS) B. I do not work in IT (I do volunteer work almost every weekend.) C. I currently have no certs. Those three from what I have read at the moment shuts me out of WGU. Even though I currently have over 70 credit hours at the university level.

The private school I am considering I will take some hands on courses though a majority is online. I also like the idea of being able to speak with professors if I have an issue in a course on campus if needed.
  • Options
    If that's really all that is keeping you from WGU, go get a CIW Web Foundations cert for $150 and you're in.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    If that's really all that is keeping you from WGU, go get a CIW Web Foundations cert for $150 and you're in.
    I hear you If I want to attend WGU its easy enough. My question to you or others is this: Your obviously not a shill for WGU so if all things were equal and you had the money (you could only use it for an education) to attend a private reputable college that cost upwards of a 100k to attend or you could choose WGU do you believe in the program at WGU so much that you would pick them? I understand someone can say "well just because its expensive doesn't mean its solid" usually it does equate to being solid so throw that out of the equation. I am by no means being argumentative I respect your opinion more than you probably know. I have one shot at this the onus is on me to choose wisely. Thank you.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hear you If I want to attend WGU its easy enough. My question to you or others is this: Your obviously not a shill for WGU so if all things were equal and you had the money (you could only use it for an education) to attend a private reputable college that cost upwards of a 100k to attend or you could choose WGU do you believe in the program at WGU so much that you would pick them? I understand someone can say "well just because its expensive doesn't mean its solid" usually it does equate to being solid so throw that out of the equation. I am by no means being argumentative I respect your opinion more than you probably know. I have one shot at this the onus is on me to choose wisely. Thank you.
    I would rather spend $120k to go to MIT. Personally, I would rather not rack up that kind of debt though. It makes more sense to me to spend $6k, be done in 1 year, and not have to always worry or be stressed out about deadlines and taking exams at specific times. I can take my proctored exam for WGU at 2am. I dont know who in their right mind would do that but it is possible.

Just 30 minutes ago I interviewed a potential intern from Heald. Perfect example of a waste of $60k. He was going for "AAS - Network Systems Administrator". They just dont teach them anything related to being a network admin. They arent even prepared for a helpdesk role... By your account, that $60k is justified just because it's expensive?? Maybe it is just my local campus? Only about 10% of the individuals I have dealt with are ready for entry level work.
  • Options
    if all things were equal and you had the money (you could only use it for an education) to attend a private reputable college that cost upwards of a 100k to attend or you could choose WGU do you believe in the program at WGU so much that you would pick them?

Depends. If you're fresh out of high school or maybe even a short stint in the military, and are in your early twenties, I'd go for a B&M, as nice as you can afford. If you are late twenties or higher, I'd go for the fastest/cheapest accredited degree you can get, which is WGU.
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello.

Why not go to Liberty University? For military/vets and even the wife's of both groups get reduced tuition rates. All credit hours for all degree levels are 250 dollars per after the discount. LU is an established private non-profit B&M University and a much better alternative.

To answer your question and as someone that was in the military and still involved somewhat, you are better off not considering any for-profit. I can't say your résumé will be thrown out by HR because that's just not true. But I've seen what happens went the hiring manager gets a résumé with a for-profit and it's not good. Just try not to get into large amounts of debt for any school. No debt would be best.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    Depends. If you're fresh out of high school or maybe even a short stint in the military, and are in your early twenties, I'd go for a B&M, as nice as you can afford. If you are late twenties or higher, I'd go for the fastest/cheapest accredited degree you can get, which is WGU.
    Great advice thank you. The school I'm considering is well above a school like Heald. Its a tier 1 along the lines of a Xavier University, Thomas Moore College, King University, Oberlin college etc.
    Seriously I appreciate your input. I like WGU and am considering it. I just really wish they had a B&M I could attend I don't mind the online but I really want to get my "hands" involved. I have about 3 months left and I will have completed I think every gen ed I could possibly need. Time to figure out where to get the Major Core work done at.

At this point I don't know anyone in IT full time that I could bounce things off of. So thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I went to a for profit "college" back in 2002 for my AS degree. Biggest mistake ever but back then people really didn't know any better. I'll be paying for that mistake for some years to come. I started all over in 2004 on my AA through a public community college, before going onto my bachelors at UF. Don't invest another dime or minute into a for profit college. Run. As fast and as far away as possible. There's just absolutely no reason to even consider a for profit college nowadays.

I had a similar experience, did an AOS at Remington in the mid-90's prior to starting over a few years later and it still entails what the majority of my student loan debt is tied to. That said, I've heard decent things about AMU but the stigma of being for profit is a big one to overcome. I'd check for not for profit, public options unless the private school's reputation is better and costs are comparable with your discount.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Private schools will beat for profit any day. I state this as fact because I believe it to be so.

Also B&M usually beats online. Times are changing but there is a very large part of the population that just does not understand distance learning. So your value to them is lower.

Research all of your options and pick one that works for your life. Don't take two OK options and settle.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Private schools will beat for profit any day. I state this as fact because I believe it to be so.

Also B&M usually beats online. Times are changing but there is a very large part of the population that just does not understand distance learning. So your value to them is lower.

Research all of your options and pick one that works for your life. Don't take two OK options and settle.

Good Luck!
    Thanks Jon for your input. Its a tough decision for me its constantly on my mind. I am older I've spent almost a decade in the armed forces plugging away and going to school at night. I can afford the private school I've saved for it along with my G.I bill and TA Its very doable and I won't have any debt when I'm done. In all honesty I'm leaning toward the Private University I want it on my resume. A part of me though knows ratbuddy is correct and at WGU I will graduate with certs, in the long run it may be a better option I'll be up and running faster. The certs are not part of the curriculum at most schools so those I will still have to do on my own if i go the Private B&M route. I have to hope the education is so good some of them are a walk in the park.
  • Options
    I think I missed it, what is the name of the private school?
  • Options
    I think I missed it, what is the name of the private school?
    Arcadia University
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I graduated from ITT-Tech in 2003 and let me tell you it was the biggest mistake of my life, they are crazy expensive, classes suck and use outdated technology and let me tell you these type of schools love the military and their GI Bill, i would say about 7 out 10 students in my classes were military. I was not able to find a job worth a damn, the school has a horrible reputation. My A+ held more weight than that damn degree. And until WGU i was not able to transfer my credits anywhere as they are not regionally accredited but nationally accredited which means they don't transfer to any regular university until WGU came along. I also have a family member that went to University of Phoenix and had a 4.0 GPA and they are on the hook for over $100,000 for student loans and all they got was a Bachelors degree and it was not enough they had to get a Masters from a state university because the Bachelors did not have any credibility with employers. All i got to say is RUN!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Arcadia University

Sorry, but no way is that name worth anywhere close to $100k :)
  • Options
    Sorry, but no way is that name worth anywhere close to $100k :)

It does not matter if your opinion is its not worth it at 100k I may feel the same way however if I attend Arcadia University it will cost me $0. WGU will cost me $0. Which would be better in the long term? A private university I physically attended (I will pick up basic certs on my own) Or WGU?
  • Options
    What you need to do, then, is find the best school you can attend for that same $0 cost. If it's Arcadia, then great. Somehow, I doubt it is..
  • Options
    MauiMaui Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It does not matter if your opinion is its not worth it at 100k I may feel the same way however if I attend Arcadia University it will cost me $0. WGU will cost me $0. Which would be better in the long term? A private university I physically attended (I will pick up basic certs on my own) Or WGU?
    Interesting thread. fusestone no matter the University there will always be people who think there are better. There will always be someone who knows a better route to be taken. Here is my 2 cents, Don't even think about WGU if you can attend on campus at a school like Arcadia University. I've been there for a friends graduation beautiful school! My friend loved the academic rigor. Sadly I'm well beyond the point where I could ever do something like that. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your cost is $0 then there are a dozen schools with amazing reputations that will open doors that you could go to, the only thing that will prevent you from attending some of them is possibly your grades but the fact that you are or are former military it will help a lot. Here is a university that you should not go to for example Southwestern University it's a liberal arts college that nobody has ever heard of and they been around since 1840, do you know what their cost is $35,000 per semester, do not go to a school like that find one with name recognition and spend your GI Bill wisely.