Options

How to tell my employer to pay for my "unofficial" work

2»

Comments

• Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Good save on your part. Happy that they did not get to take advantage of you.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one. One of those cases of something sounding too good to be true, because it isn't true.
    This. I can't believe he went ape on you, well, I can cause you were on to what he was doing. You should really think about setting up your own business even if it's part-time if you got the skills. DO NOT harm the guy's business FULL STOP - But that doesn't mean you can't win over his customers at a later date... just keep it fair competition. A non-compete clause on an island(s) doesn't sound like a good thing! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Well, that, and. . .

Something I'm not seeing anyone point out here yet is that it could become more common to do unpaid "work" to get jobs. Internships, work trials, etc. In fact, I'm seeing some well-known and trusted career advisors (e.g. asktheheadhunter.com) advise in favor of finding ways to demonstrate to potential employers that you can do the work. To me, the dividing line is where you feel uncomfortable or getting taken advantage of. if you like a certain employer and/or role enough that you're willing to do a certain amount of prep work to demonstrate competency, fine. The second you feel like you're getting taken, get out. (Personally, I think the more worthwhile potential employers would at least offer up a minimum wage while they're trying you out, but that's just me.) When people try to tie you to contracts beyond basic internship-style waivers, it's probably a bad sign.

There is a difference between doing Intern work and well Work work. Doing your job before your official job start date is not "intern" or work trial type work, in this example it was clearly production work to prepare for the release of a product.

Since you mentioned California, there are specific laws concerning interns and the work they perform. There was a recent lawsuit concerning interns for film production studios and they won because they proved that the work they were doing was the same as those being paid. The typical condition of an internship is that as the intern you are not to do the work of a paid employee or else you really should just be a paid employee. Thats why its typically project based and menial.

Its harsh to put a dollar sign next to your time but thats what it comes down to in this industry.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I would be very concerned about someone asking me to do months worth of work, for free, before I even start a job. My biggest worry is they would use the power point templates and pen test outlines to sell services, then just outsource them to another security company, using you for the sales material work and never even bringing you on.

My first thought too - happened to me. In fact, way before that .. Interviewed for an architect position and they had me, as part of the process, designing all sorts of stuff.

I didn't get the job but little did I know - my design ended up on their website as a blueprint customers were able to use and it was used (according to a guy I know there) to redesign their infrastructure.

One way to get cheap consultancy .. or free in that case. ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh and as for doing work pre-start date. Sometimes I do that too. I interviewed for a position where one particular skill I was lacking. I did offer to work my socks off during my notice period - in my spare time - to catch up.

But that is obviously different as it was in my interest and they don't gain anything but .. me :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p