Options

Anyone thinking of leaving the field?

Boxer77Boxer77 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been in the field for about 16 years now. I worked at my first job for about 15 years and just started my new position the beginning of this year. I like my job but I feel like there is something missing. There's also things about IT that I don't care for like being on call, the constant change of structure, feeling like this is a thankless career, etc. I'm mostly venting because I don't know what else I would do. Just seeing if anyone else feels the same.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is highly dependent on your employer and its work culture. It also depends which part of the technology group you're a part of in the org chart. As an example, in my case I'm not in IT specifically but I do work closely with that group for information security issues. I have a lot of autonomy in my particular position although it's extremely busy and the ground is constantly shifting. I personally like this speed.

I've been in positions where it sucked the life out of me and felt like a cheap commodity. Other places/positions may require the same or similar skill set, but your function and daily work may be more fulfilling.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think part of the problem is modern work in general sucks. Working an 8-5 job, for someone else's profit, is a totally unnatural state for a human being to live in. We evolved in independent groups of hunter gatherers, constantly searching, discovering, and learning. We've still got their DNA but live in the modern culture of boredom and repetition.

It might help to write out of a list of all the possible career options you can think of, research them, and see if you discover anything in the process. Even if you end up keeping your current path, you might find that you appreciate it more.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Boxer77 wrote: »
    I've been in the field for about 16 years now. I worked at my first job for about 15 years and just started my new position the beginning of this year. I like my job but I feel like there is something missing. There's also things about IT that I don't care for like being on call, the constant change of structure, feeling like this is a thankless career, etc. I'm mostly venting because I don't know what else I would do. Just seeing if anyone else feels the same.

16yrs eh? Ok, so what have your goals been over the last 16yrs? Have you had goals? Unable to meet them or what? What is it exactly that after 16yrs has you thinking of moving on?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Nope.

Luckily I still enjoy it but I truthfully don't have any other skills that could get me paid lol...
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope only getting better here
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Every single day.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe try a different part of IT? If your in networking go to servers, security, or virtualization.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think RouteMyPacket asked good questions. What are your goals, what aspect of IT interests you the most etc? It sounds like you stayed in one position for a very very long time and got burnt out
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not me, just got here... :)

But tell you what there are some factors that will make me leave like:

*working hours
    *Vacation
    *salary
    *Lack of job opportunites

If nothing falls into this category then I have no problem
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I've got the crazy notion that one day I'm going to drop out of the industry and focus on the other two things I love - beer brewing and making pork barbecue. But I need to have a pretty big safety net to fall back on before JR's BBQ Brewhouse can become a reality.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think most careers are thankless, it's just the way things are nowadays. Doing a good job is expected, it's the bare minimum for most jobs to stay gainfully employed - does that mean you will get a pat on the back for every time you did a good job, no, of course not - so don't expect one. They give you a job in return for money & results - it's that simple.

Motivation and contentment come from within, Dalai Lama like words there I know, but nobody can make you happy and nobody can make you want more from life - but you. If you are unhappy then you need to step back and look at the big picture. What are you doing wrong and tweek that little thing and then watch the results.

Good luck!
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would ditch IT at any chance I could get if I could go into being a pilot (rotary/fixed wing... doesn't matter). Getting my pilot license has been something that I wanted to do for about 15 years now... once I get out of the military and get a decent job with a good pay I will start working on it.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    I was in the same boat. I had to refocus what I wanted out of my career to get out of the slump. You talk as if an employer forces you to take "long hours, on call, change in structure etc..." If you acquire the right skill-set, especially in IT, you should never feel like you are forced to do anything.

My advice is to look at the overall picture or technology, everything from Virtual computing to Social Media. Look at all of the different types of jobs and technologies. Find what sparks an interest in your mind and go for it.

One thing that might help is to focus on an employer. Find an employer that practices the core values that you embody and shoot for employment there ie: google, facebook, oracle etc...
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like my job, but i feel limited knowledge wise, which frustrates me. I just keep studying and gaining experience though am not where i want to be and i know i should be patient. I honestly don't know anything else outside of IT. I love philosophy but i don't want to have deep thoughts about being unemployed so i went for an IT major instead.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Honestly, I'm getting closer than at any point before. While I enjoy IT (and specifically security), it has always been a means to my end working in real estate. Some days are tougher than others where I feel like my job is not fulfilling and boring, but I can't really complain because I get paid a lot for not doing much (in my eyes anyways). So I work on things behind the scenes and have been laying the groundwork to make that move eventually.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm getting closer than at any point before. While I enjoy IT (and specifically security), it has always been a means to my end working in real estate. Some days are tougher than others where I feel like my job is not fulfilling and boring, but I can't really complain because I get paid a lot for not doing much (in my eyes anyways). So I work on things behind the scenes and have been laying the groundwork to make that move eventually.

Better make the move while you can! I was talking to a friend one day and I told him I was bored as hell and wanted to try and do something exiting with my life/career. His response was, "You already know what your current state is, boring. Why not try to do something fun now, what’s the worst that could happen, you end up coming back to what you already know is boring."

For some reason that has stuck with me, you have to take chances in life to get what you want. That’s kinda the fun of it!
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do think about it a lot, but it's mainly because of the job market where I live. As soon as the youngest graduates high school we'll be seriously looking at the possibility of moving to someplace a little more populated.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I transitioned from IT to Data. While I use a lot of the skills I have learned in the past, there is a new set of skill sets I am picking up. I don't regret it, however I maybe transition again.
  • Options
    5502george wrote: »
    Better make the move while you can! I was talking to a friend one day and I told him I was bored as hell and wanted to try and do something exiting with my life/career. His response was, "You already know what your current state is, boring. Why not try to do something fun now, what’s the worst that could happen, you end up coming back to what you already know is boring."

For some reason that has stuck with me, you have to take chances in life to get what you want. That’s kinda the fun of it!

I fully agree and have always had that mindset. However for the next two years I'm still the sole income for a family of 5 so that's a no go. As soon as my wife graduates and starts working then I plan on getting the ball rolling.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I fully agree and have always had that mindset. However for the next two years I'm still the sole income for a family of 5 so that's a no go. As soon as my wife graduates and starts working then I plan on getting the ball rolling.

I understand 100% (Family myself). Calculated risks are what I take lol. Just out of curiosity, what do you think you are missing in the real-estate market that you cannot get in the IT realm?
  • Options
    The reason I ask is becasue I know a realestate agent that ownes his own business. They do well, but thier job seems boring to me. They are always annoyed with thier customers:)
  • Options
    I understand 100% (Family myself). Calculated risks are what I take lol. Just out of curiosity, what do you think you are missing in the real-estate market that you cannot get in the IT realm?
    The reason I ask is becasue I know a realestate agent that ownes his own business. They do well, but thier job seems boring to me. They are always annoyed with thier customers:)

First and foremost is my love of real estate and properties. When I was 10 years old I used to always bug my parents to buy me house plan magazines and I used to always look at the real estate sales flyers and maginzes like Homes and Land. But honestly I am a people person and I love working with and interacting with people, in person. I love the flexibility that real estate provides and I love the entrepreneurial aspect of it. I like certain sales positions (real estate, cars, tech).

While I do have interest in owning my own brokerage (I have had my FL RE license for the better part of 4 years), my primary interest is in homebuilding and development (spec building and small scale neighborhoods), and investment (building a portfolio of rentals). I had a master plan in place that took a hit when I met my now wife, and we had kids. But I've still been laying the groundwork and working on the underlying infrastructure so that when I am ready, I can hit the ground running. Obviously some aspects I can start sooner than later, like investing. So that's what I'm starting with. I've been studying all aspects for the better part of 15 years and am very knowledgeable in the areas, I'm just waiting to put it into practice.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I do understand where you're coming from but it will probably be like this anywhere you go. Yeah you don't get a lot of credit in this field, so you need to no expect it! I'd say that if you're still on the payroll they must think you're pretty good at your job. I've been in the field a very short time and I've just continue to better myself and seek the highest salary possible. I can really careless if you thank me, just pay me the money!!!
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Every. Weekday. Morning.

I'm 17 years in and it's changed an awful lot. For me, the 'fun' factor has disappeared. Although I still enjoy the technology aspect, there's so much extra baggage these days to contend with. I don't particularly enjoy being 'constantly connected', and that very blurred line of 'work/life balance' that always did exist within IT seems to have been turned upside down and flipped inside out.

I've tried different companies, roles and more recently, management (hated it, you assume people are adults but that's not necessarily the case). In my case, I think its partly because of culture changes and also because I'm getting a bit older and approaching 40. In the early days I would happily respond to an out of hours call, and work silly amounts of time to get the job done. These days, on an evening I'd much rather sit on the sofa eating chocolate and enjoying a nice drop of Rioja with my wife.

It's all relative though. I'm sure if I asked friends of mine who have different careers they'd say something along the lines of "You get paid THAT for doing IT stuff!? I need to move into IT tomorrow!".

For me, I have to focus on the positives now, small things like 'I've learned X today' or 'I've picked up this bit of info' and making sure my time outside of work is as fun as possible. I've also started cycling again (gotta burn off all that chocolate I've scoffed on the sofa, right?) and this helps my mental state massively - though thinking about it, it does remind me of work in a way (continually pounding down a long, straight road with nothing to really show for it apart from pain :D )

I don't think I'll be changing careers though. I've been involved in Healthcare a lot recently and when a nurse/doctor comes to you to thank you for fixing something that was stopping them providing proper care, it does pull at the heartstrings a bit and gives me some small hope that I'm actually doing something that benefits someone for reasons other than money....... Although if the worlds best chocolate makers are reading this, I'd happily become a professional Chocolate Taster. I'm very well qualified!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone here knows I thought about leaving IT a few years back. I came from law enforcement and was taking a decent pay cut (along with a number of other issues) so I questioned why I made the switch. But the main reason I stayed was due to the fact that switching to something else would require a lot of sacrifice. I had looked into nursing, but that would require a year of school just to get the pre-reqs complete. Law enforcement was an option, but that would be starting at the bottom and in my area everyone wants to be a cop. I drudged along and now I am extremely happy where I am along with making the money to keep things good. Also, I am slowly (hopefully) moving back into law enforcement, but with the technical spin. I ultimately find they don't call it work for nothing. Sometimes are tougher then others, but you need to know how to unwind. Also, as others have said, where you work has a greater effect then the career itself. Keep your head up!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can say I left and came back. In Nov 2009 I went to the education field and taught IT and then became a chair then a dean for almost 4 yrs. Before I came back in field last year in May. I can say that I am almost 40 and while I love my work, I still am not totally satisfied. IT and the technology fields have changed so much and it has become so flooded with people from other industries that the true IT Infosec field now does not resemble what I left. Business and PM have flooded into most places IT department. I remember when I would say that I need a piece of equipment. We would call the vendor and demo it and if it met the standard we bought it. Now it takes months to get a solution and several approvals and cost justifications. As well as taking bids and going through procurement. It really has created a lot of work for something that we used to be able to do quickly. Yeah I miss the good old days of the 90's and early 2000's. We would shotgun it go cowboy buy the product look at the network and slap it in. Need met problem fixed. Yee Haw less than a month to install.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm kinda surprised by some of the replies to this thread, I thought everyone on here lived, breathed, and pooped IT. I guess its nice to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. But I think feeling burned out happens with every career. Whether you're in IT, accounting, or nurse. I actually made the switch into IT, was in college for something total different, realized I wasn't into it as much as I thought. I had always had a interest in computers/technology, so I changed schools and started taking computer classes. Honestly I'm pretty content with my decision, I really don't see myself doing anything else. I also got tired of working dead end or hard labor jobs. My other passion was sports, but my playing days ended a long time ago. But maybe down the road when I gain more experience I could find a job that can mix the two. I think the biggest thing is you have to set goals for yourself. I'm still in my first IT gig, and I know I'll probably be here for a few years, but eventually I will want to get into something more advanced. My ultimate goal is to become a independent consultant, you know have a few smaller business that I would support and stuff.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a master plan in place that took a hit when I met my now wife, and we had kids.

Kids and family obligations tend to do that. Its a sacrifice we have to make. When my kids are older I will probably take more chances on employment.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope, and if I did, it'd only be to go into technology research.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If winning the lottery counts then yes other than that I feel like I belong here and the only thing I could be decent at.