Options

Technical school or 4 year college?

GaryVGaryV Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello I am currently a senior in highschool that is interested in majoring in IT/computer networking. I want to know what is a better option Technical School or getting a 4 year degree in computer networking.
How hard would it be to get a job with a associate from technical school vs bachelors?
Salaries vs technical graduates and bachelor graduates?

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMO - if you are in the US I would go with the Bachelors in CIS, MIT, CS or whatever you decided. Different schools label their degrees different things. My next suggestion would be to go community college, I think they are usually cost effective and provide you with a good foundation to get a decent job. Last but not least is the technical schools. They do offer some hands on training but the ones I am aware of usually cost a lot. Most of the ones I have seen are national accredited and not regional.

I would highly encourage a bachelors, but if money is an issue would consider going for an associates. That's just my canned reply for each individual it's different so I can only offer my opinion from my view point.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I am going for my Bachelor's in Computer Science / Communications & Networking, and I'm currently in 3rd year. I only have 1 more year left, I think it's a great way to learn and also if you're looking for a higher salary, a Bachelor's would have greater precedence than Associates.

That's just my 2 cents though.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    If by Technical School you mean something like an ITT then I would tell you to run like hell from those types of places. They are a massive scam (do some research).
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Thank you for the fast reply, much appreciated. is a bachelors in information tecnhology or computer networking good enough to lang me a job?
  • Options
    If by Technical School you mean something like an ITT then I would tell you to run like hell from those types of places. They are a massive scam (do some research).
    i mean technical schools like TCI( technical career institute) in NY, Lincoln tech, and devry. all in NY
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a chance to get a Bachelors than take that. Technical Schools are rarely accredited if at all and pretty much everything won't transfer if you ever want a 4 year degree. The only exception is Community College but make sure to get a Associates that is not in Applied Science or you will have issues with applying that towards a 4 year degree or Masters later on. I know Technical Schools look like a quick way to get yourself started but I can tell you from personal experience that when I was your age I was also in a hurry to get started and I made some stupid decisions like going to ITT-Tech, be patient. Anybody on here that has a Associates instead of a Bachelors is now killing themselves to get that Bachelors degree while dealing with a full time job, screaming kids, and spouses that are not always understanding of the time required to get this done. If your parents are paying for your College than you are insane to even consider a Technical School, go to a 4 year school. All the classes which are part of General Core like English, Math, Psychology, etc.... may sound boring and pointless but trust me they are essential. I have to deal on daily basis with morons in their 30s,40s,50s,60s that cannot write a professional business email to save their lives.

Also don't take this the wrong way but as constructive criticism, but seeing your responses you would do well to take a College English class to refine your writing skills. Technical jobs are not all about pushing buttons and plugging things in, you have to be able to communicate clearly in both speech and writing. I think everybody on here has had to write enough technical documentation to make you wanna jump of a building.
  • Options
    A bachelor's degree would be highly essential for career-wise, but don't expect to land a job right off the bat. Certifications would also help. What I'm doing is continuing my Bachelor's (3rd year) and I'm also focused on studying for some certifications that may be very beneficial in helping me get my feet wet after I'm done school.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. That's what the forums are about.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    GaryV wrote: »
    i mean technical schools like TCI( technical career institute) in NY, Lincoln tech, and devry. all in NY

Those are bottom of the barrel. Don't waste your cash. If you are considering those sort of schools, you'll be better served by going for an AS in IT at your local community college. After that, if you want more, transfer to a state school to finish your BS. At your age, I wouldn't consider WGU or really any online school - you need the life experience more than you need to save a few bucks on tuition.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for the long term, bachelors over tech school, but whatever you pick, get an internship, coop, externship, something that will give you experience.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    These are the asses that i would take if i would get accepted into suny alfred in upstar New York. I would graduate with a bachelor technology.
    After completing a bachelor degree you would need cert before you get a job or can you get a Job without certs.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    These are the asses that i would take

Please don't do that. People don't react well when you take those away form them icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta ask, are you typing on a phone?

And let me make this clear, NOTHING guarantees a job. Certs, degrees, experience definitely help but are no silver bullet. Some employers give different levels of importance to those 3 elements. In a perfect world you would have a nice mixture, what we call the trifecta. If you go for the degree you can easily pick some entry level certs an get at least volunteer experience along the way. That will put you ahead of many others who will lack one or more.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you for the fast reply, much appreciated. is a bachelors in information tecnhology or computer networking good enough to lang me a job?

It will help you get interviews, but no piece of paper alone is going to land you a job. You still have to have knowledge related to the position and interview well.
  • Options
    Yes I am typing on a phone. So for computer networking is there a degree that is better than information technology
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Do your general education at a community college and transfer to a 4 year for the major courses and save money. Get a job at school in the computer labs to build your resume.
  • Options
    What if i go to a 4 year school from graduating highschool and get a bachelor of technology in information tech.. Is a BT a good degree ?
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Stay away from the for profit tech schools. Plenty of community colleges have technical programs which meet or often exceeds anything you'll find at a for profit school. Plus you won't pay nearly as much for tuition and credits are accepted nearly everywhere.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104

Ok, all of those fit into the ITT area and are crap. I saw first hand what they're classes were like and I swear to you I saw people graduate who couldn't log into a router let alone know what one was and I am talking someone with a degree in "Computer Network Systems". It's all about $$$$, you will be in massive debt for nothing so do research before signing the dotted line.
    Raisin wrote: »
    Stay away from the for profit tech schools. Plenty of community colleges have technical programs which meet or often exceeds anything you'll find at a for profit school. Plus you won't pay nearly as much for tuition and credits are accepted nearly everywhere.

Agreed! Then again I don't see the big deal about degrees in the IT field. I can honestly say that my expensive waste of paper called a degree never helped me and is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed! Then again I don't see the big deal about degrees in the IT field. I can honestly say that my expensive waste of paper called a degree never helped me and is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

Ok do you put your Degree on your resume?
    Is the Degree on your LinkedIn account?
    Are you getting calls from employers because you have it?
    Does allow you to get through the HR filter?
    Does it make you a potential candidate for management or executive positions?

I think the answer to all of those is YES, YES, YES,YES, and another YES. In that case it was not a mistake and you are benefiting from it regardless if you learned anything or not. If there is a lesson to be learned is that sometimes knowledge means nothing and the only thing that counts is that you have that magical piece of paper that says you're qualified even if you're not. This is why you usually have complete morons working within your company and you are scratching your head wondering how the hell they are making double your income when in fact you can run circles around them on one leg, hands tied behind your back, and blindfolded to boot.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Hello I am currently a senior in highschool that is interested in majoring in IT/computer networking. I want to know what is a better option Technical School or getting a 4 year degree in computer networking.
    How hard would it be to get a job with a associate from technical school vs bachelors?
    Salaries vs technical graduates and bachelor graduates?

Per my experience, if i would do it again. I would not go to any school because any school which is technical school, college or universities will not teach you what you really need.

I would do it this way:

1. buy networking books and videos
    2. study hard
    3. collect those certs
    4. apply for networking jobs
    5. as soon as you got the job. be the best at it.
    6. make your work pay for your school.
    7. aim for the highest certification on networking = CCIE

From there, you will have less tuition to pay off. Now if I can only go back and fix all my mistakes.

Pertaining to salaries, I believe that graduating in a technical school or universities does not affect salary. In my experience, it's what you can produce in the company and what your certifications are that will get you a better salary. Having a bachelors in a technical school or university is seen by HR as the same.

EDIT: i forgot to add in the list to buy your own hardware and build your own lab.
  • Options
    I somewhat agree with NOC-Ninja with the fact that you don't really learn much in University pursuing a Bachelor's in Computer Science or going to Technical School because most of it doesn't REALLY pertain to what you do at work.

I'm in University myself but I don't find anything consistent yet with what I would like to pursue as a career -- Network Administration.

HR's do look at a University degree and of course it could be a making/breaking point of someone who has it vs someone who doesn't.

Do what I do, get your certifications done, continue with school (University if you can), and then within your post secondary institution, try to apply for internships and read more about them. I personally believe that is the most efficient way to get your feet wet, especially if you have some certifications under your belt.
  • Options
    So what everyone is saying is its hard to get a job from graduating out of a technical school?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with those that said you should avoid for-profit technical schools like the plague. You will be in debt up to your ears and will have nothing of any real value to show for it. I made that mistake myself after high school and I don't even include that crap on my resume. An $18,500 mistake.

Get your bachelor's degree, that's my advice. Hard work pays off.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    Get a Bachelors while getting certs and internships
  • Options
    Thank you all for the input
  • Options
    What program is better for getting a job in networking
    telecommunications technology
    Or
    software technology
    both programs are at suny farmingdale
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd look at one of your local community colleges, most likely they will have something in the field IT/CIS. Get your AAS, it'll be way cheaper. While you're doing that get some certs (A+, Net+, etc). Luckily I found a program where I didn't have to pay out of pocket for any of my certs. Take a resume writing workshop, and interview workshop. Start getting your resume out there, hopefully you'll here back from some people and keep interviewing. The more you interview the better you'll get, and hopefully you will land a job.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So what everyone is saying is its hard to get a job from graduating out of a technical school?

No, what they are saying is:

A. A degree will not guarentee you a job.

B. If you go for a degree, look for a four year non profit or a 2 year community college.

C. Try to get a IT job or internship while in school.
  • Options
    What jobs can I get with a degree in Information Technology
  • Options
    edgar2387edgar2387 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the love of humanity, stay away from technical schools, especially ITT Tech, HUGE scam, Im still in depth with them, biggest regret of my life, CS at a community college is the way to go, plenty of friends of mine regret going to a US for their degree when they later realized they could of done the same at a community college
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok listen like everyone is saying.. stay away from for profit schools. and make sure you attend a community college or a university and while you are attending school..do internships and you will get a job after graduating