Options

Jacked up recruiters

2»

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If an out of town recruiter emails me for a position that is somewhat close to what I do/want to do, and in local proximity, I'll reply with a canned response of:

'Thanks for reaching out but this position is not a good fit. If you come across anything involving x, y, and z, pays at least $x/hr w/benefits or $y/hr without benefits, and is in my city, then feel free to shoot me an email.'

This helps them update their systems and even though it hasn't panned out yet, it might.

If a local recruiter contacts me, I'll typically talk or meet with them just to get a little chummy. I'm from the area I work in originally so I actually know some of the recruiters on a personal basis. If you know what you want and communicate it effectively, nobody can bullshit you.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bigdogz wrote: »
    Recruiters have to make money to get their quota and it is a fishing contest to some extent. The first one to say "I got one." wins. Some recruiters choose to force candidates in positions because they do not actually read the resumes and others will take the time.
    One day I had around 12 recruiters contact me for the same position on the same day. They ALL wanted an answer now. "Tomorrow is too late." These recruiters are all from small companies that might say they are based in the US, but I just assume they are based in India. Normally they are very pushy "Did you get my email?" "Read it now" I ask them a question about the job and they can't answer a single question and tell me to read the email. Then they ask me questions about my resume like the only thing they read was the phone number.

I've also seen very good recruiters who tell me about the job, ask me questions about what I do and the technologies I work with, and try to figure out if the job will be a good fit for both me and the company. I had one recruiter buy me lunch one day.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I lost a job once because the recruiter did not reached an agreement with the company in how manage the payments.
    Company was in Latin America. It was a position that required a lot of travel, lots of learning, very good position. It was with a big network vendor company and they really liked me. Their regional manager even paid for lunch to discuss projects n stuff with me.
    So... did not get hired because company wanted to pay recruiting company in X way, recruiting company wanted to be paid in Y way.
    After that I went ahead to do cell phone call center for a year before getting a good IT gig...
    meh
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Dude, this type of **** happens all the time, why take your frustration on this poor guy? When I get such emails from recruiters and I'm not interested, I pass it to my peers/network or delete. I take it one step further by building relationship and staying in touch on LinkedIn and/or even meeting in person for a cup of coffee.

You are better employed WHEN employed. Keep in mind it could be a struggle when you're desperately looking for a job, takes weeks if not months. Good to have 2-3 solid recruiters under your belt.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Blackout wrote: »
    So I interviewed for a team within Cisco for Blue Badge, I didn't think the interview went to well since my networking skills are rusty working as a systems administrator. So the recruiter texts me and says "You did well, you should hear from HR soon", so I was alittle shocked that I was considered, but I don't believe anything until an offer letter is in hand. Well yesterday she sends me another text asking if HR called me, and that the manager said an Offer letter should be incoming.

Well today I get a call from the Talent Acquisition guy at Cisco, telling me that another candidate was selected over me.........

Am I wrong for thinking this is messed up?

No you are right. The recruiter could of remained quiet until he/she had real feedback. Why jump the gun only to let down the candidate? I would bump them from my LinkedIn etc.