Help asap. Network team. Im a newbie in this field

JoloNationJoloNation Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me the simplest explanation of a broadcast domain.

Please. Im having trouble understanding it

Comments

  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The simplest way I can explain it is:
    A broadcast domain = a subnet = a network
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The simplest way I can explain it is:
    A broadcast domain = a subnet = a network

    ^This


    Imagine going into a building that has a bunch of rooms with people conversing about. If you walk into one room and talk to just those people, your broadcast stays in that room. Going into a different room will be a different broadcast domain/subnet/vlan/network.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho CCNA, CCNP Enterprise, CISSP, CASP, SEC+, Pentest+, CYSA+, CISA, CGEIT, CRISC, CISM, VCP 6.7 San DiegoRegistered Users, Member Posts: 861 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JoloNation wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the simplest explanation of a broadcast domain.

    Please. Im having trouble understanding it
    We can use an elementary school class to discuss the three types of IPv4 communications. A Unicast is a one to one communication. Example: Teacher to student. Or Student to student. A Multicast is one to many. Example: Teacher to all of the female students. Or Teacher to all of the male students. A Broadcast is one to all. Example: Teacher to ALL of the students. But this only covers IPv4 communication. IPv6 is another can of worms.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    ^This


    Imagine going into a building that has a bunch of rooms with people conversing about. If you walk into one room and talk to just those people, your broadcast stays in that room. Going into a different room will be a different broadcast domain/subnet/vlan/network.

    This is how I always explain it.

    if you want to talk to some one in the room you are in (you broadcast domain) you put your hand up and shout there name out and hope they respond. so once you get enough people in the room it gets very noisy.

    If they are in another room (not on your broadcast domain), you walk quietly to the door open it and ask the kind gentleman (router) in the corridor to pass a message on to the guy in room B.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    This is how I always explain it.

    if you want to talk to some one in the room you are in (you broadcast domain) you put your hand up and shout there name out and hope they respond. so once you get enough people in the room it gets very noisy.

    If they are in another room (not on your broadcast domain), you walk quietly to the door open it and ask the kind gentleman (router) in the corridor to pass a message on to the guy in room B.

    And if you run in the hallways with your eyes closed and scissors in your hands then you might collide with someone and then it's a fight to the death :)
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    The simplest way I can explain it is:
    A broadcast domain = a subnet = a network

    I don't really like the idea that a broadcast domain is equivalent to a subnet. A subnet is a layer 3 addressing concept, while a broadcast domain is layer 2/Ethernet. You could put two nodes that are in different "subnets" in the same broadcast domain and they could communicate if you configure it a certain way. That they normally can't is a limitation of the implementation, not the broadcast domain.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Doyle would agree with you, Fredrikjj. Technically, the two are not the same. In most real world settings though, that is how networks are designed. As a matter of course, not a matter of requirements.
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    A subnet is a layer 3 addressing concept, while a broadcast domain is layer 2/Ethernet.

    Agreed, but you are reading too far into it. Don't want to go above and beyond someones breadth of knowledge and confuse them more than what they already are. Eventually they will learn the specific nuances.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • JoloNationJoloNation Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANKS EVERYONE. its much more clearer now. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.