When you don't have any workat your job what do you do?

EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any messes that were in our network have been fixed... updated floor plan diagrams, network diagrams, updated our configuration archive, tried to help out fellow colleagues.

What can I really do now? Hit the books? Other people in my workplace have inherited the attitude of not doing anything for days and just hang around in groups. I don't want to be one of them. I feel like that cuts into the efficiency of our workplace I think there are lots of cases like that in the world.

So, uhm, what other positive things do you get done when you don't really have any problems facing you?

If you have any suggestions, tips, please let me know.
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Automate something! That's generally what I do unless I have some pressing pdf reading to do (i recently acquired a lot more responsibility so this is actually an issue for me). I pick something, anything, that I think could be done more efficiently via script and I try to make it happen.
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hit the books, or look up something i met up on recently and research it but mostly i hit the books, i see you have your ccent, study to get your ccna ?
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually end up studying for Cisco CCNA or programming to automate a task.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually try to not study at work since that doesn't usually go over well, unless you do not have to worry about everyone looking over your shoulder. I browse tech websites when free or look up how something works that I recently encountered in the work place that I do not understand.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have IT books that I read when it is slow, sometimes I play Hearthstone though...... Also I read comic books on my iPad.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Study or browse TechExams.icon_cool.gif
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having a book in front of me, usually bothers co-workers. To resolve the issue, I simply download the PDF version of the chapter. For some reason it is OK to have it on my computer screen. Oh and come onto TechExams for some daily wisdom.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually try to write a batch script, prepare to plan for the next hardware purchase or look at tech sites. Lately I've been studying a little bit and haven't been caught. The company knows I'm going after certificates and seems really happy that I am. Is there a reason why companies would not like studying for certs during downtime? I'd think it would be much more preferred over the texting I see going on at work a lot. Maybe I should just ask.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is how I got past a lot of studying hours for ICND1. I was quite bad when I first parked myself in this job, it seemed like a death penalty. I asked a few times as well if it was good to study when there is downtime, and it seems the standard picture of habit now for me. I do see my colleagues scolding prior to pulling my books out of the backpack. I always said, I can't go around telnetting, RDPing into things that I don't have a confident grasp of yet. I will be saying that for a few years. Lol.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would study for certs and/or work on my WGU degree.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Comment and browse on these forums if not then I will be logged on to EDX courses and studying for my MCSA.
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    I usually try to not study at work since that doesn't usually go over well, unless you do not have to worry about everyone looking over your shoulder. I browse tech websites when free or look up how something works that I recently encountered in the work place that I do not understand.

A lot of that ^^^ . Or trying to learn our environment better.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bhcs2014 wrote: »
    A lot of that ^^^ . Or trying to learn our environment better.

It's good because it helps me learn still and shows initiative. Don't get me wrong, if I was not so out in the open I'd be studying too. I'm usually pretty busy though but there's times where I'm not (Friday afternoon usually) and I wish I could just crack open a book.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Study
    Consult (I don't suggest that unless you WFH, and are confident in your main job)
    Poke around our systems (ie, I might SSH into our UCS chassis and look at the fabric interconnects from command line, or I might go into UCS manager and practice creating the various options in service profiles, etc).
    Tech forums/sites
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I start to refactor my scripts to improve them or I start to build use cases for technology that can improve our operation.
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I look for upcoming projects in the pipeline. Two weeks ago I knew I was going to need to stig some open source database solutions so I spent my downtime building a lab and testing security settings.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,233 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I study when I have free time. I either have a CISSP or Cisco book on my desk.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CCIE is about all I'm thinking about at the moment - luckily when I get downtime I'm fiddling with a lab or reading something related to that.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    No brainier... use the time to read about what ever flavor of technology you fancy. Or you could start an underground illegal dice tourney with the rest of your co-workers...or study...ya maybe just study
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spend a lot of time on TMZ and making fun of what AJolie is going to wear next.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I start to study….But then my ADHD kicks in and I end up on CNN/FOXNEWS/random tech websites etc…
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Learn Python,
    Update Documentation
    Study for a cert if I can
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    I make work...

Any tips on this? I have a thread made to try to get myself more hours and might be on the verge of quitting my first IT job less than a month in because I can't get more hours. Going unemployed again could potentially save me $100,000+.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Downtime isn't the right term where I work. If not working an investigation, reviewing/approving changes, and doing general monitoring I am reading up on things to improve our operations. I just wrapped up a three week VPN project and thought I'd have some downtime, but then an investigation had to be opened so I was busy with that. My unit is slowly moving into the go to unit for automation and process improvement. It's nice to work on making things easier for others to do. All that being said, since we are free to do whatever we can to improve things I get to play with and configure/program open source software all day which is awesome.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    techfiend wrote: »
    Any tips on this? I have a thread made to try to get myself more hours and might be on the verge of quitting my first IT job less than a month in because I can't get more hours. Going unemployed again could potentially save me $100,000+.

In all seriousness. The first thing I examine are the processes and policies. If they aren't effective how can I adjust them and positively impact the business. Is something repeatedly slowing down our time to market, I create a spreadsheet and process document, or web tool that will make it faster. I call others and see if they need help, I work on projects outside of my direct role. I do sales calls with our sales people and then I write their proposals for them. I research interesting technologies and call the company and ask for demo kits. I code a software integration and pass it onto our products folks to sell.

Basically, I get to know a lot of people, see what they need and do it. I'm never not busy and quite often told I take on way to much and that "everyone from the VP role down realizes I do to much". Good place to be in, but most importantly you need to be having fun.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Downtime isn't the right term where I work. If not working an investigation, reviewing/approving changes, and doing general monitoring I am reading up on things to improve our operations. I just wrapped up a three week VPN project and thought I'd have some downtime, but then an investigation had to be opened so I was busy with that. My unit is slowly moving into the go to unit for automation and process improvement. It's nice to work on making things easier for others to do. All that being said, since we are free to do whatever we can to improve things I get to play with and configure/program open source software all day which is awesome.

Grinch saw your applying for DSU, I'm doing their MSIA, MSIS, and MSACS right now icon_biggrin.gif
  • BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ask people if I can help them with anything. Sometimes I'll go deep dive on some useful text.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work at an MSP

I'am in charge of reviewing all of the managed service tickets.

When it's slow, I do the following:

Review other techs managed service tickets

I check our monitoring software and make tickets for all the devices that have issues, but don't have tickets.

I watch training videos, which management has approved

Also, I look for ways to reduce the amount of tickets that are made.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    In all seriousness. The first thing I examine are the processes and policies. If they aren't effective how can I adjust them and positively impact the business. Is something repeatedly slowing down our time to market, I create a spreadsheet and process document, or web tool that will make it faster. I call others and see if they need help, I work on projects outside of my direct role. I do sales calls with our sales people and then I write their proposals for them. I research interesting technologies and call the company and ask for demo kits. I code a software integration and pass it onto our products folks to sell.

Basically, I get to know a lot of people, see what they need and do it. I'm never not busy and quite often told I take on way to much and that "everyone from the VP role down realizes I do to much". Good place to be in, but most importantly you need to be having fun.

This is my "downtime" protocol as well. I've been at this MSP for 7 months, I have had two times when I was sitting idle...both time were before a big staff meeting waiting for folks.

I help coworkers with their work, review older open issues, jump head first into something I know nothing about (ended up learning about exchange DAGs last time I did that), work up sales strategy info, build estimates, call current clients to drum up work or follow up on previous projects. Email my boss if I get real slow for something to do...

To the people who have said you get flack from coworkers regarding books and studying at work...

09haters.jpg