90 Days to MCSA Challenge

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I will accept the challenge also. I took the 70-417 exam almost a year ago and failed it. I just need to force myself to sit down and study for the exam again. I think I can get it knocked out in 90 days.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    @lmoworld.

I am in. but certainly a few days behind. It's time for me to step up and get some form of certification.

Has anyone thought of setting up some sort of Google+ group etc for this?

I will be starting when I get home tonight!.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nachodba wrote: »
    Just stepping in to let you guys know that this is a doable timeline. I had 5 years of systems administration experience when my boss told me to get the cert within 90 days. Just be sure to lab out everything and you guys should be good.

I tried to lab but some times I get stuck or run into problems. I think that's where I failed the most. I structure for me to learn and move forward. That's the best way for me to learn. Some books do have examples but I'm the kind of person that likes to follow step by step. Don't know if that's just me being SPECIAL... lol...

but I really need to work on that. I already failed twice and it really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

kick myself in the ASS for that.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I tried to lab but some times I get stuck or run into problems. I think that's where I failed the most. I structure for me to learn and move forward. That's the best way for me to learn. Some books do have examples but I'm the kind of person that likes to follow step by step. Don't know if that's just me being SPECIAL... lol...

but I really need to work on that. I already failed twice and it really SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

kick myself in the ASS for that.

You should try to find an offical M$ course material book (like you would use in a college class), they come with a 6 month license for online labs which makes the book expensive...but if you find one used/without that license you would then have a step-by-step lab manual for most of the objectives.
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Came across this individual's Blog today. A lot of good material. I will put his site link into the OneNote Document as well. Information is listed in his Archived items.

David M
    Good find!

Am setting up my environment right now
    Could you send me an offline version of your notebook?
    Please send PM with email for offline copy, will send tonight
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About a week behind everyone, but I will be joining in on this venture as well. I have been journaling my pursuit of my Exchange 2013 certs for a while in the Exchange forums. Ran into a wall a little while ago since I have never had any official training on Active Directory. Going to put a hiatus on my Exchange certs for a while until I get my 70-410, 70-411 and 70-412 done. Then i will pick things up again Exchange-wise. Best of luck to all of us.
  • SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote: »
    I think I will accept the challenge also. I took the 70-417 exam almost a year ago and failed it. I just need to force myself to sit down and study for the exam again. I think I can get it knocked out in 90 days.

Count me in. I've fallen behind in my certs, and I need something to motivate me. I just sat the SCCM 2012 test yesterday and passed, but it was close, even though I've been working with the product for years. I need to get back in the test mindset.

One question though, how tough is 417? I'm paying for my own tests at the moment, so I'd rather pay for one test vs three.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • AlisameerAlisameer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi , I haven't done any certs yet but would like to join you to start preparing.
    Could you please share any study material with me.
    Skelly wrote: »
    Count me in. I've fallen behind in my certs, and I need something to motivate me. I just sat the SCCM 2012 test yesterday and passed, but it was close, even though I've been working with the product for years. I need to get back in the test mindset.

One question though, how tough is 417? I'm paying for my own tests at the moment, so I'd rather pay for one test vs three.

I'm going the 3 exam path. Never sat the 417, so I wouldn't be able to tell you

@ Skelly
    The Link to the oneNote is in original post. If you want a copy for offline viewing PM email and I will forward to you.
  • shakedkoffeeshakedkoffee Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, just wanted to post a big thanks for yout Onenote notes, they're really helpfull!
    All the best for your exams!
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□

How long did it take you to prepare for the SCCM exam ?

Once I get the MCSE I might look at doing this.
    Couldn't sleep, so I Googled and came across Windows Server 2012 R2 Test Lab. Step by step guide to setting up lab.
  • WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    The test lab guides are great. Thanks for the resources posted.
  • SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pjd007 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to prepare for the SCCM exam ?

Once I get the MCSE I might look at doing this.

I took a couple of weeks reviewing the material over the Christmas holiday. I've been doing designs and deployments since SCCM 2012 was first released, which frankly didn't help much since all of the questions were Admin related.

I used the CBT Nuggets course and the SCCM Unleashed book to get through it. If you can only afford one, I would use the book over the course since everything on the test was covered in the book.

BTW: As of the time I took the test, there were no SP1 or R2 specific questions.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192

I am on board for the challenge as well. A recent job requirement has me upgrading to MCSE 2012 and I am curious how difficult the 417 is. I failed the 70-649 twice before putting it to bed, and wondering if this is as difficult. Given I had a few years in between my MCSE 2003 to MCITP, but it was an awful lot of knowledge to retain.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'm in. I've already passed 70-410, just started studying 70-411.

I took 70-410 like 18 months ago, been doing vmware/cisco certs since then. Back onboard with MS.
    Dustin Leefers
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took a couple of weeks reviewing the material over the Christmas holiday. I've been doing designs and deployments since SCCM 2012 was first released, which frankly didn't help much since all of the questions were Admin related.

I used the CBT Nuggets course and the SCCM Unleashed book to get through it. If you can only afford one, I would use the book over the course since everything on the test was covered in the book.

BTW: As of the time I took the test, there were no SP1 or R2 specific questions.
    Thanks.

This sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult after doing the 5 MCSE exams though I'm sure by that point I might be ready to put the study to one side !
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    as far as reading and writing.. me for example i like to highlight in the book and copy that to my notebook. Does anyone do that or have a better tactic for retaining as much information as possible?

icon_study.gif
    ed_003 wrote: »
    as far as reading and writing.. me for example i like to highlight in the book and copy that to my notebook. Does anyone do that or have a better tactic for retaining as much information as possible?

icon_study.gif

Read and Highlight, Take Notes, Google, Lab, YouTube, Read Notes again. Everyone has there own study method. I know my notes tend to have repetative information, but it works for me.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    It also works for me.. i do exactly all those things:D
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Finally got my job in SharePoint to then find out I have to bloody do these exams to get MCSE: SharePoint. I'm in. Doubt I will be able to do it but its worth a shot!

Thanks for the one note link.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am interested in doing this for MCSA. I am about to take and pass the 70-687 (next week), then start on the 70-410 and take and pass in February, with the goal of taking and passing 70-411 and 70-412 by April or May. It might not be exactly 90 days but it will be somewhat close. I had planned to do this last year, but ya know, life got in the way. :) After MCSA, its MCSE baby!
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
    TechNet Virtual Labs Decided to try out the labs offered through Technet. Definitely recommended to those who are trying to gain some hands on experience. Tried out the Migrating Active Directory Lab today.
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just scheduled 70-640 for 3 weeks from now. I just finished the client/server active directory class and lab at school and have been studying using books and practice tests. if I don't know exactly why a practice test question is right then I research and lab it if I can. I am doing the 200 R2 track because that it what I have been using in lab. I figure if I get MCSA in 2008 its just one test to move to 2012. My weakest area's are Certificate Authority and some of the command line utilities. Anyone have experience with this test they can share?
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lmoworld wrote: »
    Couldn't sleep, so I Googled and came across Windows Server 2012 R2 Test Lab. Step by step guide to setting up lab.

This guide is awesome can you please post a link where I can download any material that focus solely on the 70-412 exam.
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    This guide is awesome can you please post a link where I can download any material that focus solely on the 70-412 exam.

I just started studying for 70-411. I can put 70-412 Material in the OneNote book. If you would like a copy PM me your email and I will send it to you. You can always just copy paste the material into a OneNote Book yourself. I know I tend to have a lot of material that repeats itself, but this is just the way I learn the material. Good Luck
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lmoworld wrote: »
    If you would like a copy PM me your email and I will send it to you. You can always just copy paste the material into a OneNote Book yourself. I know I tend to have a lot of material that repeats itself, but this is just the way I learn the material. Good Luck

Will do, I don't mind don't worry about it.