CCENT/CCNA Study Group

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
I got a few PM's about a study group for the CCENT/CCNA, so those that want it, chime in and we can work together towards a common goal. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good man! Lets do it.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Reading a few chapter in my book tonight and re-hashing my lab from documentation to get back into the swing of things. Picking it back up quickly so it won't be long till I'm back on track. Was literally like 3 weeks of study back in September away from taking the exam, after a 4 months study.
    Will do the same. Which book are you reading? I plan on taking the CCENT for a third time probably in March.
    Will do the same. Which book are you reading? I plan on taking the CCENT for a third time probably in March.

CCNA R&S by Todd Lammle and Wiliam Tedder; it's brand-new; was using the CCNA Exam Cram and CCNA in 60 days back in September.
    I used CCNA in 60 days for my CCENT. It's good but doesn't seem to work for me. It's good but I think it can use some work. I'm going to be using Todd Lammle CCNA Deluxe Study Guide probably and Chris Bryant CCNA bootcamp videos.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm game for that. I plan on taking the CCENT late January/early February, and the CCNA soon after.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Switch1Switch1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I got a few PM's about a study group for the CCENT/CCNA, so those that want it, chime in and we can work together towards a common goal. :)

Sounds great! Maybe an irc channel or some form of chat room would be easier? Regardless, I'll still visit this thread if everyone else doesicon_cheers.gif.

So far my days consist of:
    ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom
    Cisco CCNA in 60 Days by Paul Browning
    Home Lab 2x 1841 1x 3550 1x 2940
    Boson Netsim Labs
    Chris Byrant CCNA Boot Camp videos
    Packet Tracer Labs
    Pearson IT Exams

I would love to find out where everyone is up too with their study so we can work towards a common chapter/topic all together each week/month?
    Currently Reading :study:
    100-101 ICND1 Official Cert Guide
    CCNA in 60 Days
    CCENT Study Guide Exam 100-101

OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol

Switch1 wrote: »
    Sounds great! Maybe an irc channel or some form of chat room would be easier? Regardless, I'll still visit this thread if everyone else doesicon_cheers.gif.

So far my days consist of:
    ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom
    Cisco CCNA in 60 Days by Paul Browning
    Home Lab 2x 1841 1x 3550 1x 2940
    Boson Netsim Labs
    Chris Byrant CCNA Boot Camp videos
    Packet Tracer Labs
    Pearson IT Exams

I would love to find out where everyone is up too with their study so we can work towards a common chapter/topic all together each week/month?

I'm picking up were I left off 4 monhs ago which is dealing with Security and NAT but since I've been afk for 4 months, going to re-read them all over the next month if not sooner, probaby like a week. I'm set on getting my CCNA, I mean like a man on a mission...

I used CCNA in 60 days for my CCENT. It's good but doesn't seem to work for me. It's good but I think it can use some work. I'm going to be using Todd Lammle CCNA Deluxe Study Guide probably and Chris Bryant CCNA bootcamp videos.

Well I got his video back on Black Friday for $7 but it's now $10, buy it if you want it, lol! - will be using those videos for a visual approach.

Giving myself a month to get back on track and once WGU starts Feb 1st asking my counselor if I can do the CCENT in March and bang it out quick, I'd like to be done with R&S by May, it's a tight goal but I think I can do it.

https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/

Well back into the CLi groove of things, blew away by whole lab last night (was up until 2 am) from the routers down to the L3's and the L3's to the L2's. Got initial security, basic routing on the 3750, 3550's and 2950's done (haven't even touched the two 3750X's yet though, those things are so sexy!) and OSPF flowing between the 2600's and now I'm just reading.

It took me oo about 10 minutes to start remembering the syntax commands. Ordered two 24 port punchdowns so I can get some more cable management for the VMware lab and other hardware, I hate cable mess with a passion. I got more 1 foot foot red, white, yellow, and blue Cat5e's than I care to have. Thinking of using a different color for a different role, ie, Yellow for iSCSI vs White for vMotion.
    Well back into the CLi groove of things, blew away by whole lab last night (was up until 2 am) from the routers down to the L3's and the L3's to the L2's. Got initial security, basic routing on the 3750, 3550's and 2950's done (haven't even touched the two 3750X's yet though, those things are so sexy!) and OSPF flowing between the 2600's and now I'm just reading.

It took me oo about 10 minutes to start remembering the syntax commands. Ordered two 24 port punchdowns so I can get some more cable management for the VMware lab and other hardware, I hate cable mess with a passion. I got more 1 foot foot red, white, yellow, and blue Cat5e's than I care to have. Thinking of using a different color for a different role, ie, Yellow for iSCSI vs White for vMotion.

Awesome to hear it all came back to you, especially within 10 minutes! icon_thumright.gif. Patch Panels are something I really ought to invest in sometime.. never installed them before but I can see how much more efficient it would make my lab at home. If the weather holds up I think I'm gonna lab some OSPF and basic NAT today. Need to nail into my head the election process and visibly see it happening. It's been 35-40 degrees celcius the past few days and my equipment can't handle that without the proper ventilation icon_cry.gif
    CCNA in 60 Days

• Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would love to join. I have studying off and on. The holidays really killed my momentum. Currently, reading:

CCNA Deluxe Study Guide
    Todd Lammle

Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide Library
    Wendell Odom

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Wendell Odom
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • JohnLJohnL Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im definitely in. :)

I pretty much have the same books as Killj0y. I had to go through the books by Wendell Odom when I went through my Computer Networking courses. I still feel like I have a lot to learn though.
    B.B.A. in Finance - 2007
    A.A.S. in Computer Networking & System Administration - 2014
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance - 2016
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: Routing & Switching
    Working on CISSP
    Guys,

Was thinking of a good conference tool, you guys have Skype? ...we could get a call going and just hash out topics.

If Skype isn't good for some I could spin up a Teamspeak server on one of my public IP blocks, just would take me a few minutes to do port forwarding on the Sonicwall to the server.

Let me know what you guys think. icon_smile.gif
    So I'm thinking of making a different lab scenerio at home:

I'm thinking about making a two forest domain with in one VMware cluster. I have (3) 2600 routers, (3) 3550 L3 switches, and (3) 2450 L2 switches.

Think I'm going to split the domains physical between the 2600's and one 3550 and one 2450 and make it a a self-contained network. As for VMware side, plug two nics per production VMkernels ports in each forest on each vlan'd subnet. I think I'll need to do to two different datacenter clusters. Might need two more servers. I'll keep my primary switching fabric the same as use that for management.

My OS of choice will be 2008 R2.

Thoughts?
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Good morning guys.
    I'd like to join. I'm in Oregon if anyone is near by.
    irc.rizon.net
    #cisco

come say hey and join the study group icon_study.gif
    CCNA in 60 Days

irc.rizon.net
    #cisco

come say hey and join the study group icon_study.gif

When I get home I'll hop on!
  • pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool! Count me in.
    Is that the site for the study group to share and collaborate?
    Is that the site for the study group to share and collaborate?

Not a website, just an irc channel I created for text based conferencing/collaboration.

Server: irc.rizon.net
    Channel: #cisco

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1459

Can be accessed from an IRC Client, or from a webapp like Mibbit.

Don't feel like it's the only way we can all communicate.. I just enjoy using irc icon_rolleyes.gif.
    CCNA in 60 Days

Not a website, just an irc channel I created for text based conferencing/collaboration.

Server: irc.rizon.net
    Channel: #cisco

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1459

Can be accessed from an IRC Client, or from a webapp like Mibbit.

Don't feel like it's the only way we can all communicate.. I just enjoy using irc icon_rolleyes.gif.

doesn't bother me. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Do you guys want to meet up in iirc say Saturday at like 3 pm? - does that work for everyone?

Would like to introduce ourselves, see were everyone is at and help each other out.
  • santanacsantanac Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you guys mind if I join?
    Do you guys want to meet up in iirc say Saturday at like 3 pm? - does that work for everyone?

Would like to introduce ourselves, see were everyone is at and help each other out.

Timezones are a funny thing aren't they icon_wink.gif.
    Pretty sure 3PM your time is 7am here.
    See you then ! icon_cheers.gif
    santanac wrote: »
    Do you guys mind if I join?

Not at all!
    CCNA in 60 Days

Is that EST timezone or a different timezone? I may be able to meet tomorrow at 3pm. I'm getting the client setup on my computer now. I think that should work out so long as it is 3PM EST. However, Switch is located in Australia so i'm not sure how everyone will meet up at the same time. But we will find a way to work it out.
    lol didn't think about different zone, but yes I'm EST, I'm in NY.
    I just tried out Skype, we can do a group meeting on that, do you guys have a webcam?

BTW, I recommend this simulator, it's awesome! - just starting into the OSPF part of it now. :)

• mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just tried out Skype, we can do a group meeting on that, do you guys have a webcam?

BTW, I recommend this simulator, it's awesome! - just starting into the OSPF part of it now. :)

What Sim is it again? I looked at your .gif post but I'm not familiar with the program
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    What Sim is it again? I looked at your .gif post but I'm not familiar with the program

It's from Pearson Vue.

here is what it looks like, just re-installed it on my laptop and been cruising along for the past oo 40 minutes or so. there is easily over 500+ labs in it, for the 59.99 I paid for it, it's helpful.

I think what I'm doing though is doing this simulator full-through before I hit my home lab again, just so I get some guided learning on the many different features in iOS. I was really far along back in September and it's slowly come back to me.

Just finished last night with Bryant's video training on Udemy. Off to the other CCNA training that was discounted 92% over the weekend tonight. Once I'm done with that... I'll read Scott's book, lab my heart way another time through the Pearson Sim and then just take a few practice exams and subnet my heart away for a week and schedule and eitiher wait for March 17th or take sooner.