The funniest questions you would get on a help desk :)???

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
You know how the customers call the help desk? Well duh well
one questions i been asked that was funny was
Are you married?
Whats a computer?
Why doesn't my computer turn on?
Is this the IT Department?
Can I have my coffee pot and my computer running at the same time?

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not really a question but it's funny when I see obvious signs of malware and the user starts going out of their way to deny any misuse or downloading of anything. I ask a couple basic questions to quickly determine the root cause but I don't interrogate them or even care if they were doing stuff that wasn't business-related. I don't care if you went to a nudie site or tried installing games, I'm just there to fix your computer and move onto the next ticket.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The FBI locked my computer and says I owe them $300
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "I flipped the power switch on the wall and now the PC wont turn back on".
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    The FBI locked my computer and says I owe them $300

I had a girl come in with a similar virus when I was doing repairs, a locked screen with scary phrases surrounding a screenshot of the girl in a dressing gown yawning.
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The coffee machine is broken, do you think you could send someone down to have a look?
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "What do you mean my internet and computer won't work if the power is out?"
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    "I can't connect to our network printer." (Asked by IT staff. The printer is inside their network. We are their ISP.)
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    "What do you mean my internet and computer won't work if the power is out?"

Adding to this: "Can you ping the utility pole to restore electricity?"
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "My mouse stopped working, is the server down?" (batteries were dead)
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    This was a service call.

Me: Ok can you describe the problem.
    Customer(c): I can't get this system to work right.
    Me: Can you describe what is wrong?
    C: No matter what I do I can't get this text off my screen. I've restarted it multiple times.
    M: Can you describe the text.
    C: It says 60 hz.
    M: Do me a favor. Can you turn on and off your monitor?
    C:It's gone what did you do?
    M: (I didn't want him to feel like an idiot. For being stuck in the screen options) It's a common issue with the newer monitors. Restarting your monitor clears the bug.
    C: Thanks so much, I've been dealing with this for hours.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    My favorite phrase is "The internet dosnt work" or "SOmeone is using all of the internet"
    I just think... yes the entire world wide web is down everywhere lol

i also get: "I removed wire 3,4,5 from the ehthernet cable and now the device dosnt work do i need those wires?" (well obviously)

My favorite so far was a female tech that called in, "Yah i just plugged the switch into the modem and nothin can get on line"....me: "you plugged the switch or the router into the modem?" "uhmmmm.... **** *click*(hung up) LOL
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Me: "So if you plug this charging adapter into the power outlet and the USB end right into your tablet's charge port, it will charge the device. It usually take about 4 hours to charge however you may resume your regular work while its plugged in.

Student/Client: "Wait, I am confused...so how do you charge the adapter?

Me: "Excuse me ma'am?"

Student/Client: "I see no way to charge the adapter, how can we charge the tablet if we cant charge the adapter? This is silly"

Me: "..."

This happened during a Windows 8.1 tablet class I was teaching with over 20 people in session. It took so much patience and discipline to not laugh or even make a face at her...

I know its not a helpdesk call but the situation above was probably one of, if not the most ridiculous things I have ever heard someone say to me in my short years in IT.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not really a question, but I always thought the misconception between having a wireless router and being able to connect to your wireless network ANYWHERE (even if you were on like the other side of the country) was pretty humorous.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    "Can't you guys just log into the matrix and fix this issue?"
    lol
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pevangel wrote: »
    "I can't connect to our network printer." (Asked by IT staff. The printer is inside their network. We are their ISP.)

That's probably the worst one so far. Users that don't know IT are going to ask dumb questions but IT staff asking something like this is pretty bad.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My manager, who is really a software developer that's been doing IT support until I got there, asks me a lot of strange questions like Q:Why isn't my monitor working? A:drivers aren't installed. I think it's mainly mind blanks because he does a pretty good job supporting others.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    My manager, who is really a software developer that's been doing IT support until I got there, asks me a lot of strange questions like Q:Why isn't my monitor working? A:drivers aren't installed. I think it's mainly mind blanks because he does a pretty good job supporting others.
    In my 7 years in IT, I don't think I have ever installed a monitor driver to get it to work... or do you mean video card drivers?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Customer: My internet doesn't work, I bought it this morning.
    Me: No problems, let's fix it, is your modem powered on, do you see any lights on it?
    Customer: I haven't opened the box, I thought the internet just worked.
    Me: <loooong pause> I wish things were so magical.
    Customer: I should stick to driving me truck I guess.
    <hangs up>
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Customer: My internet doesn't work, I bought it this morning.
    Me: No problems, let's fix it, is your modem powered on, do you see any lights on it?
    Customer: I haven't opened the box, I thought the internet just worked.

I've had that one multiple times when I worked tech support for a DSL ISP in 2000 - 2002. People would call in angry stating that their Internet connection wasn't working.

My first question would always be, "What are the lights on the modem doing?"

Their answer: "I haven't taken it out of the box yet."

Wow. Just...wow.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah totally stumps me too. Here's another one I just remembered.

Customer: I havent received any email in my mailbox.
    Me: Right, lemme check your webmail from this end.
    Customer: Thanks
    Me: I see there are about 30 unread emails in your inbox
    Customer: Cant be true, I checked the mailbox this morning too when I was walking the dog, there were just dried leaves in there.
    Me: Dried leaves? Jeez, were you checking the mailbox out the front of your house?
    Customer: Of course mate.
    Me: <looong pause> There's a difference between your postal mailbox and your email mailbox.
    Customer: So you are going to give me a English lesson now?
    Me: A computer class may be more handy Sir.
    <customer hangs up>

Ah the joys of helpdesk!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I was asked to change a light bulb on an executive's desk once. This is while being the sole admin for a multinational smb. I was slightly perturbed but eventually moved on.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a nurse call in the other day and ask me, "Can you give the the address to the short mail.?" She wanted to find out the address for our webmail server, LOL.
    Gotta love those computer savvy users.
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    I had a customer call and complain that his printer wasn't working. I asked him to make sure it was plugged into the outlet. He assured me it was. After walking him trough several things I finally went to his house. Guess what? I plugged in the printer and it worked! He was really embarrassed, but I asked him a few times to check. I felt sorry for him but I had to charge him for a service call. Some people.
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was just asked to "build more WiFi" by someone.
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    srabiee wrote: »
    I've had that one multiple times when I worked tech support for a DSL ISP in 2000 - 2002. People would call in angry stating that their Internet connection wasn't working.

I used to get this kind of thing pretty frequently when I worked for a certain notorious satellite television and internet service provider. People would call up and ask "How much for the password to the WIFI?" like it was just all one network and you could just call someone up and pay for the password.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    This is no word of a lie. This actually happened to me.

I worked in the government so we (the government) would send out letters informing of ways you can now pay bills online etc.

Customer: "Hi I have this paper you sent me, nothing is happening when I click the link"
    Me: "Erm, can you explain some more please?"
    Customer: "Yeah I am clicking the link on the paper and nothing is happening"
    Me: "You're clicking the link on the paper?"
    Customer: "Yeah the one you sent me to pay bills online"
    Me: "Can I call you back?"
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    User: "Yeah I got a prompt to change my password, so I changed my password and now my old password isn't working anymore"

Me: "Lets try the new password"

User: "I'm in. So this is the password I use now?"

Me: "......"
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Whatever you did fixed the issue. But can you now tell me my yahoo email password?"
    I reset her browser and she had her password saved.

my face -______-
  • AboorAboor Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you IT or are you Mr. Computer? No madam I am Aboor