Options

Anyone w/ Salary of $90,000 to $100,000, Current Certifications Held ?

ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am just trying to gauge whether or not this is even attainable given that i want to avoid being in Management/Networking.

icon_study.gif

So I have been constantly going back and forth in my mind about whether or not i should pursue a VCP. I've heard some bad stories about the exam as well as the fact that unless I get lucky getting a voucher/waiver I might have to pay $5,000 for the required course exams. I am getting ready to take my exams and get my CCNA over the next 60 days. Just thinking ahead..

And even at that If i do get a voucher it would likely be in VCP-NV, which i want to avoid. Not banging on networking, lets just say i dont want to go to work everyday and look at a bunch of numbers on a console all day long.

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That range is definitely attainable while still avoiding networking and management type jobs. Other solid options include development, security, data management, systems architect, etc... Virtualization (especially in the cloud) is definitely a growing field for which I think this would be attainable also. But in addition to certs, there are a lot more factors to consider. Location, experience, technical skills (of which certs are not always the best measure), and salary negotiation skills can all effect salary.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I make a little under $90k but I work in InfoSec. You can definitely make those figures in security. As well as in virtualization/data center work as well. I know some of the folks that post in the virtualization forum definitely make that much or even more. Also salary is dependent on where you live. Also don't forget cost of living as $100k in the southeast will go a ton farther than out west, or even up north.

As far as the VCP, there are definitely cheaper training options. Look in the virtualization forum section. There are two community colleges that offer a really cheap class that allows you to meet the training requirements. The most important thing is, don't pursue certain certs or even jobs with salary as your only focus. Would you rather make $80k and have what you consider the best job or make $100k and be miserable in your job?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not really the certs that get you there, but the experience. Find what you're interested in and focus on being the best at it. Have the certifications serve as validation for your skills and not the other way around. Not point getting certified in something you won't ever get production experience with.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with experience, at least in my industry. (Data integration). It's very possible to make 100,000+ if you are good at automating data. With that said an SOA certification couldn't hurt. Again this is in my niche field.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Similar to JoCal.

You can sign up on glassdoor and see companies/positions that will get you at the salary you want to get to and screen based on position, ect.
  • Options
    JoCal and SephStorm, what would your InfoSecurity tasks consist of?

@broli720.. i disagree their.. If i would have gotten my CCNA before changing jobs, I'd be $10,000 + easily. And to me Certifications do mean everything.. solely because of the fact that you get the notarity/exposure to new material/drive as an individual in IT. Money is everything.. It's the difference between having a better life or being miserable because of the lack of income.. especially if you have a Wife (or worse an additional 2/3 mouths to feed)

We are talking $100k.. not Millions -> at that point that's just greed...
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Similar to JoCal.

You can sign up on glassdoor and see companies/positions that will get you at the salary you want to get to and screen based on position, ect.

i've seen glassdoor as well as payscale and indeed statistics.. im just trying to get an idea vs what the stats really say..
  • Options
    @Thechainremains I doubt a CCNA will net anyone S10k+ with no experience. I understand the exposure to new technologies, but if you can't perform in a production environment then why would you or anyone else be worth the extra 10k over someone who doesn't have it? Trust me, the paper tigers are getting weeded out.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    broli720 ++

I know a guy in HongKong, he has no certificates (it would be a waste of time and money for him), CCIE's call him Sir and ask for his guidance when they are stuck.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I made over 100k with no certifications but I live in Silicon Valley. Now that I have a few basic ones, my base has risen to about 130k. CCNA/VCP here nets about 10k-20k so it's worth it - no doubt.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    @fuz1on But I'm sure you had the experience prior to the certifications. I just don't want people thinking "Hey I have a ccna, give me a more money even though I don't have experience". Off my soap box now....
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wd40 wrote: »
    broli720 ++

I know a guy in HongKong, he has no certificates (it would be a waste of time and money for him), CCIE's call him Sir and ask for his guidance when they are stuck.

Not everyone's that guy in Hong Kong. Us, mere mortals, benefit from certs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    My steps to more cash:

Make sure you can measure the business contribution of your efforts (or spin it best you can) i.e. "Used powershell script to automate workstation provisioning, decreasing time by half"

Apply relentlessly, even for reach/stretch jobs. Let the recruiter disqualify you instead of doing it to yourself. Tailored resumes and cover letters get interviews, not clearly generic submissions.

Experience + Cert + Education will get you in the door but you still have to sell yourself at the interview. You can have a killer resume but will be picked over for someone that the team can generally get along with.

Diversify. Get comfortable with windows, Linux, Etc. Don't be that guy who says "oh I only use Windows I dont want to even think about Linux". Calm down everyone, I'm not saying You have to be an expert, just spin up a red hat or centos vm just to say you did it.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Not everyone's that guy in Hong Kong. Us, mere mortals, benefit from certs.

But we all want to be like him :D
    As the others said, having some certificates does not mean that you will get a high paying Job immediately, it takes time.
  • Options
    fuz1on wrote: »
    I made over 100k with no certifications but I live in Silicon Valley. Now that I have a few basic ones, my base has risen to about 130k. CCNA/VCP here nets about 10k-20k so it's worth it - no doubt.

exactly.. Certs do matter people..
    broli720 wrote: »
    @Thechainremains I doubt a CCNA will net anyone S10k+ with no experience. I understand the exposure to new technologies, but if you can't perform in a production environment then why would you or anyone else be worth the extra 10k over someone who doesn't have it? Trust me, the paper tigers are getting weeded out.

If you get a certification without learning and applying it to your job.. I think you do BECOME a WEED. Im merely looking to plant seeds and then reap the harvest after doing the work.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I am within that bracket (albeit in British pounds) and work mainly with voice. I only have a CCENT at the moment, CCNA is booked for next month.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    @fuz1on But I'm sure you had the experience prior to the certifications. I just don't want people thinking "Hey I have a ccna, give me a more money even though I don't have experience". Off my soap box now....

Like in every good RPG, EXP helps you level up quick! icon_cool.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    As others have said, experience and location are a major factor. Next would be your role and industry. Working with specialized industrial control software that manages things like oil refineries demands a larger wage than a regular Windows server admin. Working where IT is a profit center - consulting, VAR, Vendor sales/support, hosting - rather than a cost center makes a difference. I know plenty of architects for various Microsoft products that make more than this range. For an example of the certs they hold, look at my profile to the left.

I caution you not to confuse leadership with management. As an architect or expert in your field that would demand a high salary, leadership ability is expected. Others will look to you for advice on issues and you will lead design and implementation teams. You may not be giving quarterly reviews, but you will have some level of responsibility for the performance of your team members. The jobs that let you hide in the corner of the basement and never talk to anyone while being able to collect checks with an extra zero to the left of the decimal place are few and far between.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Remember that an employer is paying you for your skills, not a piece of paper. Unfortunately IT is a field of work that is infested with some of the laziest and most unmotivated people on the planet, of course all of which want the Senior titles, respect, and of course the high salary.

It would be my advice to lose the mentality of "If I get this certification can I ask for $100,000?", the mentality that the true Senior level professionals and those with proven expert level skills is to strive everyday to learn something, stay on top of the technology. It is a non-stop battle and that is precisely why there are so few legit pros out there.

I would dare say it's 100/1 in favor of the morons. For every 100 IT "Pro" you come across, maybe 1 is legitimately a solid resource with a solid background/experience.

Sad but True...this is why the Enterprise environments are so popular with the morons, they can hide there and live out their pathetic "careers" as "Sr. System Admin", "Sr. Network Engineer", "Sr. Security Engineer" bla bla bla Titles schmitles..means nothing most of the time.

Again, it would be my advice to invest in yourself. how do you do that? Doesn't matter what you want to do, study and put yourself out there for opportunities and over time the I swear to you the money simply finds you.

Have you ever seen any of the senior level or experienced members here asking about salary? Nope, it's always those just getting started that focus on the money, the money is irrelevant, experience and knowledge are king and it's NOT easy...but for those select few who are willing to invest the time and effort, it pays off and then some.

One thing I did early on was that I took every opportunity to better myself, looking back it wasn't hard at all. It simply required drive and determination. Trust me I am nothing special but I have those two key qualities and my determination and grit to keep moving on only gets stronger over time, it gets harder and harder to forge on as you go..when you all of a sudden are working next to some elite resources and the more you study, the more you realize you don't know...it can be overwhemling but again TIME is key, it takes time..I digress...back to my story...I took a position once in which I was to take over an entire IT department. This position was 100% hands on (it wasn't a large Enterprise) and I was working as a "generalist" in those days, a little here a little there..anyway...I took it because it was a great opportunity, I would now be handling more managerial duties that I had never done before (work with CFO directly, do budgets, CAPEX etc.) all the while being the Sys Admin/Net Engineer. I had some desktop guys working for me..all was well.

Here's my point, I wasn't paid the salary I originally requested, they low balled me but it was a big improvement from my previous Sys Admin salary so in thinking long term, it was a no brainer. I took the job, I learned alot and knew it would pay off eventually. So, after a few years I moved on and took with me some valuable experience and low and behold the salary for my next job was a big jump, over $20,000

It's a journey, honesty and integrity will allow you to shine bright in this field and it's not a big world, ensure your reputation is good because you just never know when an opportunity arises. Do you want to be known in a positive light or just another sucker wannabe?

Good luck!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    INFOSEC with a CISSP. Most of us do more meetings and face to face than actual computer stuff.
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    INFOSEC with a CISSP. Most of us do more meetings and face to face than actual computer stuff.

WOW. really?

@emerald_octane.. i may take your advice on diversifying platforms..Linux will be in my near future. I barely know any linux other than Linux iOS and command-line for MAC/Mobile Devices..

@RouteMyPacket.. i get your message.. and i do agree job titles mean nothing..
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    CISSP opened the most doors for me. Actually i'm pretty sure the doors flew off the hinges. There is a thread over on the CISSP forum called "What has it done for your career" something like that, not sure who started it but it's filled with great stories. It's tough and expensive but way worth it.
  • Options
    Emerald this is what I have seen as well at my last two places of employment. The 100,000 security guys have the CISSP from what I have seen.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I make in the mid 100's and live in MKE. I've been in IT 3-4/yrs. You can check-out my certs and profile on LinkedIn. I do a little of everything, for instance I am troubleshooting web apps at a hospital this week and next week I am in Florida prototyping a RESTful API integration, and the last week of this month I will be designing a procurement path for our field sales team to source network equipment.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    CCNP Voice is what opened the doors for me. I had the normal CCNP and was working on the IE, but there was no passion for it, so I didnt excel. I cut my loses and took a support job doing cisco Voice, I got my CCNP V and some other non cert skills and I do very well for myself. So my thing is to follow what you are good at.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown I like that. "Follow what you are good at".

I am 100% on board with that approach.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am also in the mid 100's and not management (yet). I believe the MCSE's I hold may have helped me get passed the HR screeners for the position I am now, but I am sure my experience and solid understanding of AD landed me the job. As others have already mentioned, experience is key.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I find it interesting that OP doesn't want to spend $5k to earn $100k.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    dave330i wrote: »
    I find it interesting that OP doesn't want to spend $5k to earn $100k.

That is funny. There is so much of the 'I want it now' attidude nowadays.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Most of us do more meetings and face to face than actual computer stuff.

This is one of the main reasons I built a homelab...I can do technical "fun" stuff at home in my free time.

To OP...you have an MCSE but you sound so whiny. An MCSE alone will not get you to six figures...you must be worth it to an employer. Buy some non-technical books to try to adjust your mindset because it is narrow and negative at this point.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't read every single post but I will say Security Security Security Security. I will just speak for myself and my career not a what I heard or rumor mail. I personally would say that certifications hold weight in the Government realm. If you dont have X,Y, Z they will not even consider you. I cant speak for the private sector but the Government sector you have to have a minimal certification or certifications. So 0 Cert and 20 years of experience and your resume still gets put in the shredder. I am not going to personally recommend a cert you can do your own research. The state you live in plays a part, no secret you can live in West Virginia and say I will never make 60-100k more or less sometimes its your location, people complain but aren't willing to move, so I dont see the point of complaining. If the IT Field is horrible in whatever state you in and your looking for more $...MOVE. I will give you some advice. IF you had the Government required certification/certifications and the pay/benefits were pretty good but you were a few thousand short of 100K. When a job says 24hr Operations (not necessarily a SOC/NOC) and hiring for night shift (yes you are the new guy thats your shift) I would jump on it like a cowboy on a horse (if i were you). Night shift differential pay is "several" thousand dollars in addition to your pay (depending on hours working=%).

Addition..Extended Work Weeks and Holiday Pay can SIGNIFICANTLY increase your pay also. Lets say you work more than 80hrs.... that pay check ..=Yikes! It all depends on the company. If the company sucks or is small and they are paying you for 160 hrs a month and 160hrs only and you work 220hrs and still get paid for 160hrs a month....well.....I wouldn't make that company a part of the long term future. I would get experience not be a over achiever and leave in a year. Believe me I worked for one and was a O Achiever.