Options

Network Admins/ Network Engineers, What is your salary?

2»

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I should take some pics of my windowsill and bookshelf, they are overflowing with IT books.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    shodown wrote: »
    Plot a path to it. Write 2 milllion dollars on a board, and look at it everyday and set a time table. Repeat it to yourself everyday. With the right focus the opportunities to make that kinda money will start appearing.

Robbing a bank could also do the trick icon_thumright.gif
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Lol,

My desk...

Are these books effective, are you there yet or you think you heading somewhere, what is it about these books vele?
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Are these books effective, are you there yet or you think you heading somewhere, what is it about these books vele?

Well, when my ADHD isn't acting up and I actually follow through on my plans yes the books are very effective. There is something to be said about focusing on a goal, (e.g salary, position, ect). When you write down a goal, read it multiple times a day your brain naturally seems to be drawn to it.

For example, I setup a salary and position goal. I read this goal multiple times a day. Once I did this, I started noticing things related to the position and salary. I started picking up on conversations, and started finding myself in situations that drove me towards this position. I know it sounds kinda hokey, but I firmly believe that when you set your mind to a task (and I mean really set it to a task) it will go and find a way to make it happen.

The reason this doesn't work for some, is that it is VERY hard to focus your inner dialogue. For example, I will say I want to make $2M dollars/yr. Then I find my inner dialogue saying well 200k is ok, or well you don't have x,y,z skill, or you should go play Arma 3. Making a goal a burning desire is really freaking hard.

Something I am going through right now, is comfort. I have a good salary for my age, and I am pretty good at my job so things are, easy, for lack of a better word. It's hard to have that intense drive when you are comfortable. I am trying to figure out my passion so I can focus it on a goal. Right now my mind is like a scatter-shot, one day its MCSD, the next is OSCE, then the next day is CCDE. If you can figure out your passion, the books will give you the tools to create a goal and a plan for execution.

What the books cannot give you however, and what coincidentally I believe the majority of people struggle with, is the burning desire and commitment to pursue, what in your mind at the time, is a vision that many have told you (family, friends, society, ect) is not possible. This doesn't mean you're lazy. Most people equate what I just said with laziness. Laziness is not the problem, the problem is purposeful direction. How many people bust their butts working 12 hour days for $10/hr. They aren't lazy, they just aren't focused on the right things.

I mean look how many people here say it is hard to achieve above 50k? That is their focus, if I could just get to 50k. If you work towards 50k, you won't hit 100k. If your like me and work towards 200k you won't hit $2M. I work with literally hundreds of folks in their 30's who make more than 100k. Just because your experience tells you something does not mean it is accurate.

Hope this helps make some semi-balance of sense.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271

Too add on it does affect my thinking, because it made me believe in the power of "Belief". I read the books years ago when I was bored. Years later I saw several successful people doing the things in the book they said. I started reading them more, and starting following the principles. I have a burning desire to be the best VoIP engineer with my own businesess. I work at it everyday, and it actually gets harder I passed the 200K a year mark last year, and it makes you lazy which is why I set my goal at 500K which I was way off last year, but working towards it again and will do everything I can to get there.

As far as the opportunities popping up when you "believe" I got a email from someone on this board about some jobs. I knew I didn't want the full time opportunities, but I felt I could still do business with them. I called him we had a chat. Convinced him I could help him solve his problems. I did some work for them and a few weeks later got a check in the mail for 10K. So when people say they want X amount of dollars it can be done.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Makes perfect sense. Would you say that all these books carry the same advise based on one theme or do you think they carry the same belief?

What similarities can you observe about these books?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Makes perfect sense. Would you say that all these books carry the same advise based on one theme or do you think they carry the same belief?

What similarities can you observe about these books?

um, they all have different angles they approach things by. The most common one is the power of belief to where people around you are going to think you are delusional.

I'll give a quick example of something else.

In the masterkey systems book one of the things it talks about is control over your mind in a since. So for one of the chapter you have to teach yourself to sit still for 10-20 min. You are not suppose to move onto the other chapters until you "master that task". This one took a while for me to do it, but I got it done in a few days. I still havent gotten 100 percent with this, but I feel this is the one I need to get me into the next level.

Nersesian brought up a point.

These all have a cost. You have to ask yourself what are you willing to give up. I posted a copy of my board. I erased a few things that are private, but this should give a idea of things I look at and say to myself everyday.

Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    If I am not mistaken I get the impression that all these books are based on one thing that Bob Proctor (philosopher) and company have been preaching about for quiet some years now, the law of attraction. But any way the OP was about an IT salary we don't want this branch out to some thing irrelevant.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Nersesian wrote: »
    - I know it sounds kinda hokey, but I firmly believe that when you set your mind to a task (and I mean really set it to a task) it will go and find a way to make it happen.

I'll chime in here and say this is the absolute truth for me. You're going to have to sacrifice something in order to get what you want and most folks are not willing to forgo having a family, move across the country or even to another country altogether to obtain that goal. This is why you see people being ok with knocking down 90k - 120k when they could be making double that if only they were able to move and ok with travel.

Really, and how do you explain away all the cases where someone REALLY set their mind to a task, but failed to make it happen? I guess you could argue that they didn't believe enough, but there are scientists all over the world who are intensely working on solving difficult problems, and failing. Are you saying that we haven't cured cancer because people aren't believing enough?
  • Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Really, and how do you explain away all the cases where someone REALLY set their mind to a task, but failed to make it happen? I guess you could argue that they didn't believe enough, but there are scientists all over the world who are intensely working on solving difficult problems, and failing. Are you saying that we haven't cured cancer because people aren't believing enough?

You can't look it as "failed to make it happen". There is a "haven't made it happen yet" though. Huge difference between the two. If "someone REALLY set their mind to a task, and failed to make it happen" its means they have given up. If someone really wanted something and they haven't succeeded yet but is determined to get it, I'd say they "haven't made it happen yet".

Those scientist just "haven't made it happen yet"
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fredrikjj failing is all apart of the process to succeed. If you attempted the CCIE lab 10 times and failed but the last attempt you passed, have you really failed at all?
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    Your looking at it from a black and white perspective. If you decide to cure cancer as you say and do not find a cure but in the process you find things that increase survivability by 5% then you have made an achievement.

I like the definition of success as pursuing a worthy idea. You may not achieve your goal but you are working towards it.

However you must also be realistic. For example believing you will start a pencil company that will sell pencils and make a billion a year is probably not a good business idea...
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    philz,

+1 on Arma 3. I've wasted countless hours of my life playing Operation Flashpoint, Arma and Arma 2. I love military simulators (I was an Officer in ROTC, had a Army Scholarship but decided to pass it up, came pretty close to joining though).

My PC isn't enough of a beast to run Arma 3 though....I got tired of upgrading my PC and just decided to buy a PS4 and a Wii U.

I would love to hit six figures, but I just don't see that happening if I stay in KY, not at least for another 15 years. I'll keep going to school and taking certification exams until I do.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    vtradervtrader Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Failure is a nasty concept, the more absolute concepts get, the sharper the notion of failure becomes. Failure is a very healthy part of life learning. The huge negative attachment society gives it creates more damage.
    Some people need xyz to be success, some people need efxzy to get the same success. Then there is serendipty, some times just s*it happens.