Options

In the tech field, no one cares about education. Just experience now WOW eye opener!

Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
So every time I get a new job I am finding out more and more that going beyond an AA is a waste of time. I love my new job and don't really plan on having a family, house, or an expensive car. I already make enough money right now and I am finding that whenever I get hired they always just care about my experience. No one gives a crap about school or certifications. I think I am just going to concentrate on getting more experience. I love my new IT job right now and don't plan on being an engineer or anything like that. Being a Supervisor requires you to have previous leadership skills so no IT Bachelors degree there.

I regret signing up for WGU and wasting 3k, but now I won't make that same mistake again. Just going to try to finish one quarter and then cutting school loose. I may go back if i really need to, but as I am finding out more about life. It is amazing. You have to have people skills to move up or your education and certs don't mean jack squat. I am going to concentrate on my job now and getting my people skills up.

Just thought I would post this here for anyone who is stressing out about stupid school.

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your frustration is understandable. However, I think it's clearly blinding you and causing you to resent an equally important aspect that will add tremendous value to your career. This forum is literally mostly about pursuing education that compliments your experience, and then leveraging both for maximizing your success. You should strive to be the total package.. anything else and you're just selling yourself short....

It sounds to me like you need a mentor and need to figure out what your long term aspirations are versus defining your opinion of education on the fact that you don't want a family, house, or nice car... people like that tend not to find school that important... and in the long road.. it doesn't work out that great. Things change... education will always be extremely important, and if you think otherwise you are in for a rude awakening.

Experience will always be number 1, but in lots of cases knowledge and experience goes hand and hand, and school/certifications help to develop your ability to absorb new information, think creatively, critically think, and make better decisions because your foundation is solid. I know people with plenty of experience in IT ( and most of that experience is in being lackadaisical and not very good at their job.) So don't be blinded... experience matters, but so does knowing your %^$^%$
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem with your plan is when you do need the degree later in you career it will take you years to get it, there are no 3 months shortcuts to a degree.

I have been working on getting a degree for the past 12 years (switch universities, dropping courses etc), I did not care that much, I mean degrees are useless pieces of paper.

And then came an opportunity last year for a dream job that REQUIRED a degree, needless to say, I really regretted not finishing my degree sooner, one year later it still causes me pain and anger when I think about it.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    So every time I get a new job I am finding out more and more that going beyond an AA is a waste of time. I love my new job and don't really plan on having a family, house, or an expensive car. I already make enough money right now and I am finding that whenever I get hired they always just care about my experience. No one gives a crap about school or certifications. I think I am just going to concentrate on getting more experience. I love my new IT job right now and don't plan on being an engineer or anything like that. Being a Supervisor requires you to have previous leadership skills so no IT Bachelors degree there.

I regret signing up for WGU and wasting 3k, but now I won't make that same mistake again. Just going to try to finish one quarter and then cutting school loose. I may go back if i really need to, but as I am finding out more about life. It is amazing. You have to have people skills to move up or your education and certs don't mean jack squat. I am going to concentrate on my job now and getting my people skills up.

Just thought I would post this here for anyone who is stressing out about stupid school.

Funny you say that because, i've been recently in talks with a recruiter and after sending in my resume and having a little talk with them they send me to an assessment test. After passing the assessment test with 87%, they came back and asked if my Computer Science Bachelors degree was a B.A or a B.S. . That should tell you, that not only the degrees still matter, but also what type of degree you have. Experience is good, dont take me wrong, but education also counts.

If you are satisfied with being a follower then that is perfectly fine, but every individual has different aspirations.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    It really depends on what you want to do. Once you cross over the 100k threshold expert level certs or a minimum of a BS are almost manadatory across the board.

Additionally operations management and sales all have different reqs.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here - a college degree is mandatory to even get considered.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Experience is always king. Most people have aspirations to move up in their career and with that a degree is usually almost mandatory. if you are happy staying at what you are doing, that is great. People should always do what makes them happy.
    I disagree about the certification. They helped me get my last position.

They are many places that will not offer anything to candidates that do not have a degree.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sometimes without education, people can't get experience. Even if people don't care about education in technology, people should always try to improve themselves and continue to learn.

Having a 4 year or maybe even a masters will help you out so much in the future but you won't see it right now. Stay motivated for yourself.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    How can you assess the value of a BA/BS if you don't have one yet? I don't understand the logic. I understand that school is very expensive and not everyone wants to deal with it, but to say it's not worth it is a bit disingenuous.

FWIW I look at resumes all day. Not having a BA/BS makes one stand out. Why? The majority of our applicants have one, even if it's not called out in the req. In my experience, the individuals who are certified have the best experience to complement. It's not like we usually have someone who has no certs/education but tons of experience, or someone with absolutely no experience or degrees but certifications to the hilt. The candidates who come in ready to win often have all three (experience, degree, certification).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    True, experience is king. You can go through life and have a successful IT career and a good life without any degree, certs. etc. The problem is that when the time comes to make a move you will see the potential pool of opportunities limited by every qualification you are missing. No degree? Pool of opportunities reduces by 30% (making up a number for the sake of an argument). I'm in security, so no CISSP reduces my pool another percentage. No this, no that, it adds up quick. By the time you are done you may find yourself looking at just a few opportunities. I like to keep my options open so although I never had a specific need for a degree decided to finish my undergrad in 2011 and started my masters last year.

The situation wd40 mentions above is exactly where I would hate to end up, therefore I keep learning and certifying. What emerald_octane mentions is also true. Many highly skilled, highly educated, certified teams what people like them working by their side. I know I do.
  • Options
    Having a 4 year or maybe even a masters will help you out so much in the future but you won't see it right now. Stay motivated for yourself.

It shows potential employers that you can finish a project that is filled with ambiguity, bureaucracy and tedious work with inane deadlines...kinda like real-life work! icon_lol.gif Also, finishing a degree - like your AA - really shows people that you have the soft skills to work with people - aka counselors, deans, professors...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've also been frustrated and have halted my education after getting my 2 year degree. Fortunately, it looks like I'm catching a break and getting an entry level job. I would like to get into better financial shape and knock down my student loan debt.

I'm undecided at this point on going for my Bachelors because college has become ridiculously expensive, but I would at least get certifications. Especially, since I think this company will reimburse me.

Also, I'm wondering if possessing Certifications and Experience can itself be applied toward College Credit?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'd also like to point out that the OP says that he has no plans for family, a house or expensive car and is 100% okay with making the money he makes now. While that might be great for the OPs ambitions but I know that wouldn't work for me.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm making a little over $70k with just a crappy technical diploma from a trade school, cost was about $8k. Could of finished through with my BS in EE from FSU and would be still paying off my loans. Experience and certs have moved me up pretty fast. IT is a strange field, I have worked with a Sr. Server admin with a degree in photography making 100k. Really depends on the job market your in and what's on your resume.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    VIDEODROME wrote: »
    Also, I'm wondering if possessing Certifications toward College Credit?

Lots! Many exams are worth 2 units; some are equivalent to a college course.

ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    If there are two people with 5+ years of similar experience, the one with a degree will get hired 90% of the time unless the other guy has some great project experience.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    -hype wrote: »
    If there are two people with 5+ years of similar experience, the one with a degree will get hired 90% of the time unless the other guy has some great project experience.

hmmmm, not sure about that icon_exclaim.gif

I have a BS in networking and no experience at all. I have applied probably well over 50 jobs and only got about 4 interviews. This is back in 2010. Every job posting I see wants experience. icon_cry.gif

Since I got my A+ and still nothing until 3 years ago I finally got a job in Break/fix which really has nothing to do with Networking.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    moparbob wrote: »

I have a BS in networking and no experience at all. I have applied probably well over 50 jobs and only got about 4 interviews. This is back in 2010. Every job posting I see wants experience. icon_cry.gif

Since I got my A+ and still nothing until 3 years ago I finally got a job in Break/fix which really has nothing to do with Networking.

Not the same situation at all to which you replied to. Also having only an A+ after 3 years isn't that great. If you're trying to get into the networking field get some Cisco certs or at least a N+.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□

As mark stated, if you want to get into networking, you need at least the Net+, or go for CCNA. A BS may help get you in the door, but if you don't have experience, you'll need some certs to show you have some kind of experience in networking, even if it wasn't on the job experience. If you need help, there are plenty of people here that will help out. Good luck!
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978

Did you even read the post you are replying to? He said two people with 5 years exp and your trying to compare your situation in which you have no experience thats like comparing apples to carrots.

-Phil
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's always the ones w/out education & cert that claim education & certs are worthless. icon_sad.gif
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think a lot of people in school feel the way you do. There are always exceptions but if you look at society for bigger patterns and play the odds then you will be better off with a degree.

Don't trick yourself into thinking you are better off without a degree. Accept that it wasn't for you but don't lie to yourself it's not worth it.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□

There's a lot wrong with this "rant", but what I would caution you with is to not underestimate the value of a college degree. If anything it tells an employer you can commit to a long term goal and complete it. You're right for the most part that the "tech" field doesn't care about education, and the reason is that the "skills" to be a tech are not that hard to come by. Leadership and skills to make difficult decisions usually require people to think outside the box, and that usually comes from experience combined with theory. You may love your IT job now, but if it's a "tech" position, don't be surprised if you're burnt out soon - everyone who's worked the help desk can attest to that inevitable reality.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm.

Going to send a detailed response about this one.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    "I love my new IT job right now and don't plan on being an engineer or anything like that."

That pretty much says it all. If you don't have the desire to expand then why even ATTEMPT to advise others??????????????? Yes Experience is KEY; however, your competition has experience, certs and a college degree appeals more to HR and the Hiring Manager then someone that doesn't.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□

This is simply not true for most situations and areas in IT. You're just in an entry level rut/area in your career, that's all. We have all been at a stagnant and sometimes frustrating point in our IT careers. You're not the only one. If you're comfortable with where you are at that is COMPLETELY fine, however let me say this...

Don't take your anger and/or frustration out on a college institution that makes it affordable and easier for you to get a better career. Just because you don't want to reach higher grounds in your career doesn't mean its someone else's fault. School isn't "stupid" and you're making society weaker by saying that (even on an online forum, you're not helping).

That expensive shiny piece of paper called a "degree" is what separates the drones and the leaders. It separates those who go with the flow and those who create said "flow". A degree (even in IT) helps a lot in regards to your career. You're not seeing the fruit now because you're short-sighting yourself and you haven't even EARNED it yet.

Yes experience is a number one priority in IT, however "experience" will only get you so far before you reach the inevitable limit in your career due to the lack of a degree.

As you stated above, you are quite comfortable with you're job. Yes? There is NOTHING wrong with that, however...

9 times out of 10, the job you're "comfortable with" NOW will deteriorate in many ways. You will get tired of it and eventually your job will be outsourced, made obsolete by new technologies or someone who will take your position for lesser pay. Aside from that, judging from your current mindset ultimately you WILL get burnt out very quick.

Trust me, you don't want to live with "what if's" and regret.

Bite the bullet.

Suck it up and get the degree. Get those certs while you're at it.

This post of course is my honest opinion though. I apologize if it sounds harsh but I am a very blunt individual. PM me if you have any questions. We're here for you Armyman! Good luck and blessings on all of your endeavors!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    "Also, I'm wondering if possessing Certifications and Experience can itself be applied toward College Credit?"

No.
  • Options

A+ is the only cert you got in 3 years? How come year 2 you didn't get a Network+? And year 3 you get a CCNA? You want to get into Networking yet you only have a cert that deals with Help desk Hardware/Software. Better start hitting the books.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    "Also, I'm wondering if possessing Certifications and Experience can itself be applied toward College Credit?"

No.

Incorrect.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the specific school. I'm actually looking at one (here in Canada), Thompson Rivers University, which will let you sub your experience, certification, and previous higher education credits and apply them towards a certificate or diploma.

I will probably do it some time next year just so I also have a piece of paper with "Diploma in IT" (or something like that) for an extra tick, considering the only thing it will really cost me is time. Classes are dirt cheap (on the order of $100 class + 100 exam for a 3-credit course), and I can use my degree for general ed requirements, and experience/certs for most of the IT stuff. Then I'll only really have to take the required business courses, which would be useful anyways.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    OP, you have a lot to learn. A good place to start would be school.

See what I did there? :)