Options

The IT Stereotypes you have gotten in your career?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I finally made it clear to my parents that my job is not trying to make Windows XP faster
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    That was my last job

Also

People always thought I would pirate software/music/movies for them due to my knowledge. I would tell them that it ain't happening. Even happened to me when I worked at Staples as a part time gig as a lead technician, people would say "Why should I buy office 365 when you could download it for me and I give you half the money", hinting I pirate their software for cash on the side. Yes, it happened quite often, but I never did it. It's just shady business and wrong.

I'm not going to debate the ethics of pirating software, but that would be foolish for anyone to do in that situation. You'd be just asking to get fired at the very least, if not have legal trouble. Good move passing on that.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I finally made it clear to my parents that my job is not trying to make Windows XP faster

+1 on that one!
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jasiono wrote: »
    That was my last job

Also

People always thought I would pirate software/music/movies for them due to my knowledge. I would tell them that it ain't happening. Even happened to me when I worked at Staples as a part time gig as a lead technician, people would say "Why should I buy office 365 when you could download it for me and I give you half the money", hinting I pirate their software for cash on the side. Yes, it happened quite often, but I never did it. It's just shady business and wrong.

But you did show them how to do it for themselves, right? :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was perfectly happy not having to provide any tech support to the family. Now, my dad has decided to get into big data (he's a former quant)...

"Derp, when are you going to configure an SQL database for me."
    "How do you connect to the database?"
    "Okay, how do you SQL? I'm so confused."
    "This Python sh*t is $@#^% and makes no sense. Why do I need %#$^ indents??"
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The worst one, I simply cannot handle, is being "in IT" and you randomly get some smartphone shoved in your face with a question of "my friend has this game with the balls I really like, wont you put it on here for me"

Then its usually an aunt or something, you cant say no....
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Being able to succinctly dumb down what you do for non-technical people is actually an important skill; especially as you move up in the ranks.
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I know how to use every feature in every piece of software, can navigate to any part of any website in existence within a split second, know about every new product on the market and in development, and do any PC work for free.

Pretty much every customer I deal with.
  • Options
    lo_____ollo_____ol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We have so much in common, we should probably be best friends.

Hey fellow Auggie! icon_thumright.gif I'm a current student at the Burg myself. I can't wait to be finished.