Passed Security+, what's next?

seflyerseflyer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ the other day. I've already registered CISSP (associate) on April. I am trying these two basically because they don't ask for working experiences which I have none, and I need some certifications to begin my career in this field.

Here is the question: I would like to get a certificate on the skills. I have been thinking of CEH but it says they will check out your experience before giving you the certification. Besides, I have been suggested to take the OSCP instead. Which one should I take, or any other choices? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• catqueenbbcatqueenbb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats. I passed the Security + today and I am thinking about the OSCP because it's more hands on than the CEH. You are right, the EC-Council requires experience for taking the CEH, but i heard that if you do take a formal training, the 5 day bootcamp (expensive), you will be eligible to take the CEH. Same thing for the CISSP, I believe you need 5 years of experience in some domains.

I would strongly recommend the OSCP because it's more practical and like I said hands on and they don't ask any experience. I want to be a Pentester and I believe the OSCP would be best for me as well.
  • seflyerseflyer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @catqueenbb Thanks! Me too I would like to have a more hands-on certification. I am still not sure if we have testing places here in Shanghai but I think I'll try that kali-linux course anyway.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Senior Member EuropeMember Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    من طلب عزائم الأمور ، هان عليه بذل النفس فيها - محمد إبن ابي عامر
    www.keyboardbanger.com
  • SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601
    Congrats! You said you don't have any experience, I would look into getting some before pursuing these more advanced certs. They won't help you land a job if you don't have experience to back it up.

• guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job. Mission complete
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the Sec+!
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck!!
  • balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was just reading about the OSCP exam, goodness, that would be one highly intense 24 hours eh?
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • aliceklaaraliceklaar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi catqueenbb
    Someone with same Username as yours has just created an account over at the TechNibble forum. They claim to have "passed A+ last month" - so I assume it is a fake / spammer. https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/hello.64828/#content.
    Please contact the forum admins at TechNibble if you wish to report this.
    Good luck with the OSCP:)

alice
    ceh,cissp,oscp
    too many SANS
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,175 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cicon_thumright.gifongrats
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember CISSP deals more with the administrative aspect of security and it is also considered a top tier certification. It would also be good to obtain a masters degree or MBA just to polish yourself, IMHO if you are looking at moving to the higher echelons of the tech ladder. If not, then thats ok as well.icon_cool.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever