Options

How do you make your job bearable?

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
If thoughts like "I'd rather be doing something else rather than being stuff in an office" creeps in, what do you do?

How do you deal with the mundane nature of corporate jobs?

How do you make your 9-5 routine bearable? What's your strategy? Any tips?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    overklockoverklock Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a student working in customer service, I envy you. I am still going through my CCNA course at the college, and am about a semester away from getting my degree. I cannot wait. When you start thinking how unbearable your job is, remember that you don't have to put up with idiots in a VERY mundane store.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the hard work up front and got a job that I love.
  • Options
    Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always having something to listen to like a podcast or tv show.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get up and walk around and network with people. I am always calling project meetings with my developers to make sure we are on track and delivering code at a fast pace, always driving down cycle time. I find when I engage with my staff time flies. I usually do my administrative and development outside the hours of work.

Here is how I manage it though. I am visible always throughout the week, it could be 10 or 11 at night. My justification is release and promotion windows. The nature of release is outside the hours of operation and this is where I gain insane traction. I will sometimes just go to my boss and say my calendar is clear I am heading and she literally doesn't care. I do it all the time, so that's how I manage it. When I am in the zone I deliver and remain transparent. That way when I get tired or want to bounce, I bounce.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I work from home so I relax by reading a book or doing school work.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Follow blogs. Podcasts. Write a blog. Make Podcasts. Up Skill. Lots of things to do!
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my job me and my coworker make jokes about the users in their face and they still find it funny cause they know its true. It's nothing mean though just funny. Plus since we're an outsource company I get the see different people everyday except my coworker.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    overklock wrote: »
    As a student working in customer service, I envy you. I am still going through my CCNA course at the college, and am about a semester away from getting my degree. I cannot wait. When you start thinking how unbearable your job is, remember that you don't have to put up with idiots in a VERY mundane store.

This is one the reasons why I'm so grateful I went through the hell of retail before getting a "real" job. It helps out when I'm experiencing these types of first world problems.

I'm lucky enough that I work in a casual environment with a few jokesters. Work is work, but when we have the time it's all talk about Game of Thrones or Star Wars or whatever.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tend to remind myself that this is just a job and that life is much bigger than sitting in a office cubicle making someone else richer...
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always move forward, have a plan and never get complacent. I really want shift work as a NOC Engineer, once I get this role, I really want my CCNP, once I have that, I would like a Bach etc etc.

Its always bearable when your always working towards something.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually get up and walk around the building a bit to catch up with people. Find out if there is anything we can help with or any issues we may not be aware of that are affecting users.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just go to Russia or Africa or other 3rd world country without any money and survive there for a year or two.

Then go back (if you managed to survive, of course) to the office and kiss your cube and desk each day and work in peace for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I kill time here on TechExams icon_smile.gif

I walk around, talk to people, practice Dutch in my car using Duolingo, listen to music, or walk on the pier since my office is minutes from the beach.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I use streamus and listen to music.

If the weather is well enough I will go for a walk a lot of times down to the lake front and walk around for 20 minutes then head back in.

Study if I can on something i find interesting like Python or Linux.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Walk around the office and see if colleagues are having issues, with some of them it leads to a lengthy discussion. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of desktop support\sys admin work for me along with the challenging projects which are becoming few and far between. It's funny how it's pleasant to deal with issues when you approach them but can be a real downer when they come to you with issues.

I wish I could study my wgu courses but they don't want me doing that, while others are regularly on facebook, is that strange?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spend most of my spare time at work studying for something or reading a book. From time to time I browse forums. My coworkers really make it a good place to be, if ever I feel that I am drowning away I just scuttle over and have a good chat. I do see enough crazy things from time to time to keep things interesting.
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    Research and Development. I look for new things to test, come up with new ideas, and look for new software and hardware to play with that will improve operations. I'm a software engineer also, so during free time I like coding up quick programs that will speed up business processes for the users.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    1. plants.
    2. specialty coffee.
    3. music in phone.
    4. Brookstone massage chair.
    5. mini-fridge
    6. microwave - popcorn!
    7. BCAA drink mix, Amino Acid energy boost!
    8. breaks on here and on Youtube research stuff.
    9. quick 5 to 10 minute reading blurps in my study books.
    10. I'm the office joker, so I'm always doing small little goofy things to my co-workers to make them like 'that little monkey, he's a little S@$#!'
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mate you really need to start thinking about doing the thing you told me about. Research about it and if it's feasible, give it a whirl on the side. Keep your current job so if the thing doesnt work out you have the job to go back to.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm lucky in with my job they're ok with taking a few minutes for yourself. Sometimes I'll stop in and starting talking with my boss, typically it starts as work and then we start shooting the breeze about interesting things. Other times I'll go chat up coworkers or run over to 711. Finally, I'll usually take a break from my big projects and start working on some short investigations into regulatory compliance. Nice to take your mind off of one task and then dive into the fun stuff.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    If thoughts like "I'd rather be doing something else rather than being stuff in an office" creeps in, what do you do?

How do you deal with the mundane nature of corporate jobs?

How do you make your 9-5 routine bearable? What's your strategy? Any tips?
    Change jobs. Seriously, if it's like that, find another job, find something you enjoy doing...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    If it has become unbearable, it is time to find a new job, because the one you have is obviously missing the target with you.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Took up lock picking, have some practice locks with 2-5 pin tumblers in them, and my pick set with all the different torque wrenches and pick tools.

Kind of like having a puzzle to solve on your desk for those lulls in productivity.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    .......Get a new job or career. I'm in the same boat man, I have always been an active guy so IT wears on me every day. Luckily I just got an officer job in the Air Force so I will hopefully get a nice change of pace.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Browse forums
    Random studying
    Look up video game stuff
    Talk BS to department co-workers
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Awesome replies guys.

Let me clarify, I have an awesome job. Actually, all my IT jobs have been awesome. Good pay, great colleagues, ..etc.

I really don't like complaining, but I can't help but feel 'trapped' in an office environment. I still have family responsibilities so just quitting IT altogether is not an option (yet), but it's getting clearer now that working in an office is not for me.

I try to chat with my colleagues, read up online, learn something...but still watching the clock to get out of the office, and everyone is like that one way or another I guess :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Everyone goes through this cycle. My ex became a digital nomad and started roaming the world cause she got tired of the office life. I often think about what if I was a Secret Agent etc...Then reality hits in with my next mortgage payment.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are options for folks tired of the office; field tech, line tech, datacenter, sales engineer, etc.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Browse Techexams looking for a new certification to go for. :D

I try and find something new to learn... I'm working on Powershell right now.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    PC509 wrote: »
    Browse Techexams looking for a new certification to go for. :D

I try and find something new to learn... I'm working on Powershell right now.

that's my motivation, work experience plus the constant studying I'm doing is what helps me pass the time. Each certification I acquire means a 5 to 10k pay increase and that is motivation for me. :)