Options

Anyone on the OSCP journey soon?

Comments

• Options
    melvinfzmelvinfz Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What information are you looking for ? make sure you know your linux commands well .
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    @mokaz: thanks for that list, I have read a few of those and never heard of others. I will definitely look into the titles I have not read. I am using your same approach in regards to metasploit, I have not used it once. I don’t see the point if we can’t use it for the exam and I always train as I fight (it’s a soldier thing).

@melvinfz: I was curious if anyone had found sources that help them when they get stuck on an issue. I don’t have a group of local colleagues (in this specific field, my colleagues are all R&D and general IT types) that I can converse with when I have a problem that I can’t get past.

The sources that I had found were heavily geared towards metasploit like “The hackers playbook” for instance. If I am staying away from metasploit, I need to think of another way to accomplish the same task manually and the answer is rarely, if ever, obvious. The forum and IRC channel help from time to time but I am often met with “try harder…” which I am not asking for the specific exploit but rather an inkling or a topic that I can go research.

• Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    da_vato wrote: »
    @mokaz: thanks for that list, I have read a few of those and never heard of others. I will definitely look into the titles I have not read. I am using your same approach in regards to metasploit, I have not used it once. I don’t see the point if we can’t use it for the exam and I always train as I fight (it’s a soldier thing).

Easy bro -- shoot me a PM and we'll get in touch via good'ol smtp.. Also, this is what i've read at offsec about labs metasploit and the exam:

Metasploit usage is encouraged in the labs. Metasploit is a great tool and you should learn all of the features it has to offer. While Metasploit usage is limited in the OSCP certification exam, you don't want to place arbitrary restrictions on yourself during the learning process.

So im using msfcli msfvenom and try metasploit here and there although i force myself in systems manually...
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep in mind that msfencode, msfpayload, and other things are allowed during the exam. I agree with the statement that you should use the heck out of it in the lab and see how it all works. One thing I did in the labs was to use msf for an exploit, then rework the exploit manually myself. I learned a ton doing that.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got to my 5 machine, two of them I got access using web application misconfig, I prefer that way that modifying the exploit, LOL.

Now keep trying harder.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Keep in mind that msfencode, msfpayload, and other things are allowed during the exam. I agree with the statement that you should use the heck out of it in the lab and see how it all works. One thing I did in the labs was to use msf for an exploit, then rework the exploit manually myself. I learned a ton doing that.

I've been using this method as well, and it is paying dividends for me. It kind of provides a demo of how things should work before going back to learn how to do it for real. Also, given how standard Metasploit is, I think knowing how to use it is very important.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    impelse wrote: »
    I just got to my 5 machine

Great, nice to see you moving on !!!!

I've just seen my 8th system falling today.. not the one I've been after the whole night, but one I've had a low priv shell on from before and manged to see how to priv escalate...

So it's not very much pwnage since April 12th although i'm learning everyday pile of things..
  • Options
    In my case I was moving slowly because I concentrated not to move to the next machine until I hack the one I was working, I lost a lot of time, now I can comeback with more confident that I will able to own them, take me the average 6 to 7 hours per machine )if I take the average with the ones I was not able to hack).

• Options
    impelse wrote: »
    In my case I was moving slowly because I concentrated not to move to the next machine until I hack the one I was working

I sure know what you mean; i've had a hard time movin' on to the next host although i really really think it's a good approach, you see things differently once you're back on something you've spend hours...
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Glad to hear you guys have been making great progress. Unfortunately life has been getting in the way and I have not had any time to mess around in the labs.

I am going to take BlackBeret's advice of using metasploit then manually rework... I think that is some of the best advice I have heard in regards to OSCP.
  • Options
    da_vato wrote: »
    I am going to take BlackBeret's advice of using metasploit then manually rework... I think that is some of the best advice I have heard in regards to OSCP.

I tried to do that two years ago and never worked, you become to used to metasploit that you never go to manually, in this occasion not metasploit only for payloads and I've getting better result, sure in the real life you use all of them

• Options
    ohmohm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One additional resource that might be helpful is OWASP Testing Guide https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Testing_Guide_v4_Table_of_Contents
  • Options
    it is amazing how the web attack vector make it more easier to hack the server, I am attacking my third machine using web attack, I almost got root in this one.

• Options
    justjenjustjen Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mokaz wrote: »
    These are my array of resources i'm currently using (in bold are my favorites):
    Black Hat Python
    Conquering The Command Line
    Coding for Penetration Testers
    Command Line Kung Fu
    Counter Hack Reloaded, Second Edition
    Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Guide
    Google Hacking for Penetration Testers
    Kali Linux Network Scanning Cookbook
    Linux Pocket Guide, 2nd Edition
    Mastering Kali Linux for Advanced Penetration Testing
    Metasploit Penetration Testers Guide
    Netcat Starter
    Ninja Hacking - Unconventional Penetration Testing
    Python Penetration Testing Essentials
    Python for Secret Agents
    Python Programming for Hackers and Pentesters
    Penetration Testing with the Bash shell
    Penetration Testing - A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking
    Professional Penetration Testing - Creating and Learning in a Hacking Lab
    The Linux Command line - A Complete Introduction

Although after reading a lot, i understood that hacking is not really something a book can/will teach you, i mean for me the enumeration is not a problem but i tend to have issues at seeing clearly and rapidly enough "how" will I break in this system or "how" will I escalate privileges correctly and efficiently.

I think I've understood that books will give me a quick answer to this or that but the attack angle should be my own jiu jitsu, which can only come after failing for the 100 times hence the Try Harder i guess..

RTFM is really good as well and super handy to have on your desk everyday really...

On your last question, I've read somewhere that PWK/OSCP rely uniquely on exploit-db exploits. Which i think makes sense. So i guess that a correctly targeted searchsploit on your updated db should bring the goods to surface i'd say.

Last, i've made a statement not to touch metasploit (i mean as an automated point and shoot weapon) in the labs so i might move slowly but i'm moving manually hehe..

Cheers,
    m.
    Some of these are already in my personal library; others on the list I will looking for, based on your recommendations. Books are no substitute for hands-on, but they definitely are useful as a reference and to broaden the horizon and one's view of what's already known to be possible. ;)

Thanks much!
    ~justjen
  • Options
    So after a bit more then a month in the labs here are my numbers:

10 systems pwned
    2 limited shells
    1 secret network accessible

Some times its really frustrating i've got to say.. and i'm having a lot of pain of letting things go; i mean movin' on and coming back at one system later -- but every time i do so the next system falls within minutes..

Another thing i'm lacking a bit is a close (physically) friend doing the same path / PWK-OSCP / if you can do so i think it's far more interactive and you'll find yourself less in dead ends so to say..

I'll keep you posted.. all in all i really enjoy this journey very mucho !!

cheers,
    m.
  • Options
    My case is:

7 Systems pwned.
    No secret network yet.

• Options
    griffondggriffondg Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am just over 2 weeks in and am about 75% through the videos, guide and exercises. Have learned tons so far and hope to start cracking lab machines this weekend.
  • Options
    robantonuccirobantonucci Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone taking the live class (PWK) at BlackHat in August?
  • Options
    Anyone taking the live class (PWK) at BlackHat in August?

I wish. My goal is to get the OSCP on my own this year and then put in for training for one of the advanced classes at Blackhat next year.

Eric
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mokaz wrote: »
    These are my array of resources i'm currently using (in bold are my favorites):

Black Hat Python
    Conquering The Command Line
    Coding for Penetration Testers
    Command Line Kung Fu
    Counter Hack Reloaded, Second Edition
    Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Guide
    Google Hacking for Penetration Testers
    Kali Linux Network Scanning Cookbook
    Linux Pocket Guide, 2nd Edition
    Mastering Kali Linux for Advanced Penetration Testing
    Metasploit Penetration Testers Guide
    Netcat Starter
    Ninja Hacking - Unconventional Penetration Testing
    Python Penetration Testing Essentials
    Python for Secret Agents
    Python Programming for Hackers and Pentesters
    Penetration Testing with the Bash shell
    Penetration Testing - A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking
    Professional Penetration Testing - Creating and Learning in a Hacking Lab
    The Linux Command line - A Complete Introduction

Many Books form the list are from PACKT publishing, any one have a subscription with them? I think 12.99$ per month is a good value ..

https://www.packtpub.com/books/subscription/packtlib
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    Many Books form the list are from PACKT publishing, any one have a subscription with them? I think 12.99$ per month is a good value ..

https://www.packtpub.com/books/subscription/packtlib

Yes i've thought about doing this although where i live the prices double from the advertised price so i felt a bit awkward about it.. Although for the advertised price and if this is really your end billed price it has a decent value plus there's 1 free book download a month... For the advertised price i'd do it.
  • Options
    robantonuccirobantonucci Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know how deep we need to go with the buffer overflow/reverse engineering portion of the training? I have limited python experience and I'm currently reading "Assembly Language Step by Step Programming with Linux". Should I have IA-32 down pretty good before starting the class?
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can do the activities in listed in the training guide, you will be fine. I paid a lot of attention to that section to make sure I could do it should I encounter it in the lab or exam. I practiced it for a couple of weeks until I was able to understand everything that was being done and why. It proved to be a good move on my part.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just an update, I've been on vacations for 3 weeks and I've got back on track and got 2 more systems.
    So I've got 12 systems owned now.

While on vacation i've crawled the videos in whole.

I'd love to move faster but hey well, there is no race at this / indeed id just really want to clear OSCP before autumn this year if possible...

cheers,
    m.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some progress is better than no progress. Keep it up!
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finally after completing OSWP over 2 months ago I am starting my journey July 4th. This is great as I'll have a couple of days off before and after the 4th. I can relax and then dive straight into it. Anyone else starting on this date?
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    cjbischoffcjbischoff Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started last week Saturday 06/21 - just started on the lab - unfortunately I started to with Bob.
  • Options
    I am about 2 months in and not as far along as I'd hoped due to work/vacation/family but I'm still plugging away and should be able to dedicate a lot of time over the next month. I'm prepared to extend if I have to but would love to give the exam a shot at the beginning of August. Frustrating but totally worth it!
    Eric
  • Options
    cjbischoffcjbischoff Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I anyone wants to partner-up and share some notes/direction - Im game.? Not looking to give or be given the answers, but the overly vague points or try harder isn't really working for from a learning experience. I generally learn from "tearing apart" the end result - most days just "banging my keyboard"
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my packet with everything yesterday and started reading the PDF. Ready to start hitting this hard.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP