Options

Does anyone ever feel bad about leaving a company?

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So I haven't left my current company, but kind of looking around right now. My current company is just my IT manager and me. I pretty much take of everything day to day in our office and the manager works alot on our in house app our techs in the field use and takes care of issues with the servers.

I setup/disable all the accounts, setup all the equipment, and take care of all the equipment/account issues in the office and in the field... The problem is, the company doesn't pay that well, I don't think there is much (if any) room for growth, I would like to work somewhere where I can learn more from other people (my manager has alot of "manager" experience, not really an IT expert), and my company doesn't help pay for any education.

My boss is a really nice guy and I like most the people at the company, just don't see this job helping me improve much anymore. I know it would pretty damn hard for my manager if I put in my 2 weeks notice today.

Just wondering if other people ever felt bad for a place you were leaving, knowing you leaving is going to make it pretty hard for another person?

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hell no!!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've felt bad at some, not at all about others, but it boils down to fact that it's a job, and you have to do what's best for you and your family first, work second.

The flipside is, if you find a good job/boss, hold on as long as you can. :) With my current job, as long as my current boss sticks around and they keep letting me work from home, there's no chance I'll be leaving (unless someone offers me at least double my current pay, which is not likely ;) )
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never.

The only thing I've ever felt bad about is losing out on some of the relationships I started to form.

Or not leaving sooner.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have felt personally bad, but never professionally. Your career has to progress, if they aren't or can't give increased responsibility and pay don't feel bad about leaving.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have felt personally bad about leaving on several occasions. I usually get over it within a day or two though.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    shodown wrote: »
    I have felt personally bad, but never professionally. Your career has to progress, if they aren't or can't give increased responsibility and pay don't feel bad about leaving.

I can't agree more.

It may not be their fault there's no room for growth, sometimes you simply outgrow a job. I was in that situation recently where I absolutely loved the work environment, but technically the job was killing me.

I felt bad leaving the people, but not the work. At the end of the day it's nothing personal
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    hell no!!!!

I have this new profound love for you LOL
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Left my 1st contracting gig because work got slow so I had to use vacation hours to keep getting paid.

Left my 2nd contracting gig because I was offered a permanent hire position with benefits.

Left the NOC because the team was being offshored.

Left config because the team was being offshored.

Laid off from the SOC because the team was offshored.

I never feel too bad because I always end up in a better place. I do wish I could bring all of my good colleagues with me. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Mutata wrote: »
    I can't agree more.

It may not be their fault there's no room for growth, sometimes you simply outgrow a job. I was in that situation recently where I absolutely loved the work environment, but technically the job was killing me.

I felt bad leaving the people, but not the work. At the end of the day it's nothing personal

Yea, its a small company. My manager actually said they are probably going let me hire someone else this summer to work with me (kinda of under me to take care of small stuff on my plate). I just can't see any extra tasks they would give me to do. If any issues come up I pretty much take care of it all... The only way I see staying here helping is me is if my manager left and I took over his job.

I actually have a phone interview with HR at a consulting company. Thinking consulting could definitely be interesting and allow me to learn more.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use to feel bad about it, but in the end its just business. I have seen loyal employees let go for the dumbest reasons. I look at it as a relationship, as long as both sides are getting what they want out of it, it works.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Short: Depends....

Long: ... on the reason I left. If it's because of a better opportunity and not because I didn't like being there, it's usually bittersweet. Just left a gig I really liked, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. It sucked my last week there but the first hour at my new gig made up for it.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As a wage earner I am in the business of selling my time and skills for money. If I am not being compensated fairly or enjoy the work then it is time to move on.

Ever hear the phrase "It's just business"? This is one of the circumstances where you should remove emotion from your decision and say the phrase.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Would they feel bad about firing you?
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why so cold ? Lol
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've felt sympathy for a former boss because I know I'm leaving them with a group of incompetents. Not for the company itself. It's just business.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, it wouldn't hold me back at all giving my 2 weeks notice. Just know its going suck for my manager to have to find someone else and relearn everything here. Not the most organized place...

Just had an HR phone interview, going in for an in person interview next Friday. Its kinda of sideways move as far technical aspect. But it would be more money, they pay for training/certs, and would have room to advance up there at least.
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If he is a true leader, and not a manager, he would want what is best for you, particularly if you mentored under him, so he will get over it.

As should you,
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about it. I feel bad, but the Sr. Systems Engineer's last day is Friday. Mine is next Friday (and I've been here just 7 months). Only leaves the CTO. It is what it is. I feel bad but it happens. I've been on the other side of it where work ended earlier than it should of and I was left unemployed, and I'm sure they did not care too much.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I generally feel quite bad leaving a company, and I can't imagine how bad I'll feel leaving the current company I'm with.

I consider every employee of the company to be a personal friend, and my position is critical to quite a few of our large contracts. Leaving them will cause many friends great hardship, and that doesn't exactly excite me.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I generally feel quite bad leaving a company, and I can't imagine how bad I'll feel leaving the current company I'm with.

I consider every employee of the company to be a personal friend, and my position is critical to quite a few of our large contracts. Leaving them will cause many friends great hardship, and that doesn't exactly excite me.

some of ya'll get too emotionally attached to a firm. I could never do that. I make some friends where i'm at, but i'd never feel bad for leaving a firm. I can always chill with the few friends i've made anytime anyways, especially since we all live in the NYC area.

I can only imagine how devastated some of you would feel if your job let you go...be it for financial reasons or otherwise. My loyalty to a firm only goes as far as doing the best i can possibly do while i'm there, but never get attached to a place. I've been laid off twice, and it never fazed me. I've enjoyed working certain places, but if a better opportunity comes along, DEUCES!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't feel bad at all. If I died tomorrow life would keep going and they'd have to get someone to replace me. The company may be in a tough spot but life goes on. There will always be someone to take your place. It's just business.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    some of ya'll get too emotionally attached to a firm. I could never do that. I make some friends where i'm at, but i'd never feel bad for leaving a firm. I can always chill with the few friends i've made anytime anyways, especially since we all live in the NYC area.

I can only imagine how devastated some of you would feel if your job let you go...be it for financial reasons or otherwise. My loyalty to a firm only goes as far as doing the best i can possibly do while i'm there, but never get attached to a place. I've been laid off twice, and it never fazed me. I've enjoyed working certain places, but if a better opportunity comes along, DEUCES!!!
    I guess I can't only look out for myself, I look out for both myself and those around me. They've given me many amazing opportunities and are very loyal to all of their employees. For a few months the owner was paying my salary out of his pocket when the company wasn't doing the best to avoid having to lay me off.

In the two years with this company I've been given access/training to systems I could only dream of before, a promotion that helped me break into management and I'm currently making 100% more than I was in my previous position after the frequent pay increases.

Sure I could make more elsewhere, but finding a group of people this great willing to place their full trust in me will be nearly impossible.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Nope.

I usually miss the people I work with or will feel bad, as previously stated, for a boss who is going to have a rougher time with the crew he has.

Otherwise I need to do what is best for me to learn, grow, and be happy.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is pretty much the same situation I'm in except there's a consultant that still comes in once a week to do pretty much nothing since I've taken care of everything. Does the IT manager know all the little nuances of the system or is he strictly a developer? In my case he doesn't and this is where the feeling bad in me comes about and he doesn't have much desire to learn it. When I plan on moving on, after I graduate from WGU, I might ask here if someone is looking for a desktop support/sys admin entry level position and then hopefully train them in on the nuances before I leave. There's tons of people in the twin cities on here and there's at least one that could probably use a position like this right now. How long have you been working for this company?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I've only worked there for about a year and a half but feel I'm limited there. And the fact they won't help pay for any education or certs just kind of annoys me.

Pretty sure the manager knows most, if not all, the nuances. He will just insanely busy... I do feel this position would great for someone looking for someone trying to break out of the level one help desk role. Thats pretty much what I am using it for. Its pretty much like you said a "desktop support/entry sys admin" role.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know the feeling, the company I work for thought msp prices were too expensive and they'd get someone in that has the desire to learn while underpaying them, to stay significantly below the msp price. It's nice because the job is there for people to get great experience but get's frustrating when the pay stays well below market with no sign of advancement.

Do you have any cisco or linux there? If so, that's great experience to list, unfortunately for me it's all unmanaged switches, all in one router and strictly microsoft but there's esxi.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    No cisco or linux... unmanaged switches, I couldn't even tell you the brand of them. They are definitely old and cheap.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've gone from fixing mission critical communication circuits in the Navy to pretty much doing my WGU homework for 12 hours a day...that and Techexams lol. I wont feel any sympathy when I leave my current position. I'll feel bad about leaving behind the relationships and work friendships I've made but nothing else. If your current position isn't giving you what you want/need, find one that will!

Off note, is this that CDW position you talkind about in your resume post?
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Never heard back from them unfotunately. Not completely surprised since it was for a security position and I don't have any security certifications. Will be working on those after my CCNA R&S though.