Options

Does anyone ever feel bad about leaving a company?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would they feel bad about firing you?

I used to feel bad about leaving a company, but after a few lay offs, not so much any more.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No. It's a contract. They buy your time. You give your time. You have other needs and they can't meet them then you leave. It's nothing vile, or contemptuous about it. It's just an amicable break because they no longer can provide the needs you're asking for.

I've often found the company more offended of my leaving than me. Which seems silly. If I was so valuable, why didn't you engage and train and keep me? Now that I leave, I free your payroll up for someone cheaper, or through attrition you've cleared a spot and will save money.

It's always so funny to me. You want me, but can't afford me. So, I leave, and you're resentful for me saving you money (since you can't afford me in the first place my work becomes a donation instead of a paid agreement).

So. In short. Don't feel bad. I miss the personal relationships, not the company.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    On my previous job, for my team. But besides that nope.
    meh
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, if you've had great co-workers.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    hell no!!!!

^^^ This. icon_pirat.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I've felt sympathy for a former boss because I know I'm leaving them with a group of incompetents. Not for the company itself. It's just business.

This is something I completely relate. My current job I like but I can't see long-term for more than 3 years. I'll get bored. Even my co-worker I'm seeing him seeing the company politics not what we both expected but kind of presumed.

He's mainly a programmer/SQL developer and I'm the system administrator. So our roles are separated. If one of us left it would be bad.

If I left I'd feel bad cause the end users are um...dumb? My only vent of my frustration is working out at the gym after work.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    This is something I completely relate. My current job I like but I can't see long-term for more than 3 years. I'll get bored. Even my co-worker I'm seeing him seeing the company politics not what we both expected but kind of presumed.

He's mainly a programmer/SQL developer and I'm the system administrator. So our roles are separated. If one of us left it would be bad.

If I left I'd feel bad cause the end users are um...dumb? My only vent of my frustration is working out at the gym after work.

You're replaceable. I'm replaceable. We're all replaceable. Just always remember that and you won't feel bad. I'm training my temporary replacement next week, and they're already lining up a permanent replacement for the Sr. Systems Engineer. People move on incredibly fast. I only feel bad because I'm quitting 7 months into the job, but they weren't giving me what I need and the pay is going up 45% + larger bonus. Plus I didn't spend all this time getting certified for nothing. Hard to care too much honestly. If you are moving on to something better people are usually supportive.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    My co-workers were like family at my previous job, so it was very difficult to leave.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for yourself and for your career development.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't have to time read all of the responses but I have a very simple opinion about this.
    Make the choice that's right for you. A good boss will probably ask you to stay but wish you luck when you decline.
    As someone else pointed out everyone is replaceable and if they want the work done they will fix it as part of their business.

From a personal point of view I felt bad I was leaving friends behind but the minute I gave my notice I felt better. It sucks keeping that information from people that you are close to but it is just something that has to be done.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a capitalist society and you can't let a companies bad staffing practices prevent you from advancing your career. Maybe push towards bringing someone new on by telling your boss that you need help with the work load. I wouldn't tell him you're ready to move on unless you really know you can trust the guy not to fire you on the spot.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    W Stewart wrote: »
    I wouldn't tell him you're ready to move on unless you really know you can trust the guy not to fire you on the spot.

even then, i still wouldn't do that...only would let my mngr now when i'm putting in my notice...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, only when ready to submit your notice and not a minute before. Nothing good can come from it.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)