Options

Each day my mind continues to be blown... religious request from potential employer

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
So I applied for a position on dice last week at what is apparently a Christian School. I have no problems with any religion of any background and I felt like the position requirements would be a great fit for my knowledge and skillset.

I applied, and was contacted today to schedule a phone interview for tomorrow.

I was then presented with this.

ylTAmPb.png

xVPfUgS.png

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered. Has anyone else ever seen something like this?

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're getting baptized through an email.
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    I would take my expertise elsewhere, not because of Christianity, but because they won't allow you to work unless you sign that ridiculous statement.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is totally awesome.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly which role did you apply for? LOL
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »

Network and Virtualization Engineer position.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your still interested in the job, see if they will respect your decision not to sign it. If they will not accept that, then chances are you might be gone after not attending service at some point.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure which state you are in, but isn't that illegal? Or maybe it's only if they choose not to hire you if you don't sign it.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This doesn't even seem legal. Church or not, you can't discriminate based on religion/race/anything so it seems unlikely that an organization would be allowed to make you sign something like this.
  • Options
    This doesn't even seem legal. Church or not, you can't discriminate based on religion/race/anything so it seems unlikely that an organization would be allowed to make you sign something like this.

It's apparently legal if the organization is focused on religion, such as a church or I guess in this case, education.

However, the position has 0 to do with the educational aspect and only to do with infrastructure and support. It's absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thacker wrote: »
    It's apparently legal if the organization is focused on religion, such as a church or I guess in this case, education.

However, the position has 0 to do with the educational aspect and only to do with infrastructure and support. It's absolutely ridiculous.

That seems unfair. I would take my talents elsewhere honestly, devote Christian or not. Next think you know, that new VM you're spinning up is turning into a holy crusade.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bahahahahahaha, that's insane. Thanks for posting that letter! Definitely the funniest thing I've read today.

Edit: Also, I would probably be a-hole and respond back making fun of that.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Am I the only one who is not surprised by the stuff that religious or political entities get away with?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277

Network Messiah.... why?

I've seen stuff like this before when presented with religious work sites. They do it as they prefer to work with someone with their belief structure. Not a clue about the legality of it.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is totally awesome.

This is really hilarious! I would do the phone call just to argue with the person.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Network Messiah.... why?

I've seen stuff like this before when presented with religious work sites. They do it as they prefer to work with someone with their belief structure. Not a clue about the legality of it.

So what if a man believed that all women were below him and as a result only wanted to hire people with his same belief structure? What if that man asked people to sign a document stating as much before he even gave them an interview?

Can we see how that argument completely falls apart under scrutiny?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Pretty sure this is legal if they're a verified religious institution by the government.

Not to branch into this topic, but if you're not straight, I would certainly go no further.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Government approved discrimination, gotta love it. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I once got accepted for a position like this. On what was suppose to be my first day, I was let go because I was a different denomination.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure most of the faculty signed the same thing, I wouldn't be too put off by it though if you really need the job. It's not forcing you to attend sermon or preach on it, if the pay is good I'd sign it and start right away!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    I'm sure most of the faculty signed the same thing, I wouldn't be too put off by it though if you really need the job. It's not forcing you to attend sermon or preach on it, if the pay is good I'd sign it and start right away!

Only to get written up when they hear AC/DC Hell's Bells blasting from your car.

I mean if it's that or nothing, then I'd probably suck it up, but if those were not my beliefs I wouldn't feel comfortable walking on eggshells and faking my religion for a job.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My employer is very open about its Christian values and so are the employees, but they didn't give me anything like this to sign lol. Employees have given me handouts on Christian living, but I just put them in my drawer without making a fuss (no chick tracts yet lol). Had my co-worker cry about the souls of me and my children since I'm agnostic, but I thought it was nice that she cared. Even had to explain to her why my wife and mother-in-law would go see the Dalai Lama speak when they are atheists because she is under the impression that Buddhists think Dalai Lama is God. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completely believe that a christian school would do something like this, and it's apparently legal since they're obstensibly a religious organization. I actually attended a christian school from 7th grade until graduating and what you posted is nothing to what they made their employees go through. As I recall, in order to be employed there, all teachers had to sign a similar statement of faith, write an essay describing their "personal walk with the lord", and provide a character statement signed by their pastor. They also had to abide by a morality clause saying they wouldn't drink, dance, use tobacco, see movies rated higher than PG, wear "immodest clothing" (no pants for the female employees), listen to "inappropriate music" (even contemporary christian music was banned) and many other actions. Mind you this morality clause applied to them outside work hours as well. They even controlled what type of church the employee attended to make sure it was the "right" kind of church. Violating this clause was grounds for immediate termination, and I remember a couple of teachers who suddenly weren't there one day. In many ways that place was a cult, and I'm lucky I escaped with my sanity intact.

I echo the sentiments of others, take your ball and play on someone else's court. Any possible experience isn't worth the environment of scrutiny you're likely to find at places like that.
  • Options
    Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My employer is very open about its Christian values and so are the employees, but they didn't give me anything like this to sign lol. Employees have given me handouts on Christian living, but I just put them in my drawer without making a fuss (no chick tracts yet lol). Had my co-worker cry about the souls of me and my children since I'm agnostic, but I thought it was nice that she cared. Even had to explain to her why my wife and mother-in-law would go see the Dalai Lama speak when they are atheists because she is under the impression that Buddhists think Dalai Lama is God. :D

That's because eastern philosophy is very complex and god is not "required" unlike western's where god is must.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, this is a religious organization. I worked for a hospital system that was Catholic. You had to wear their bulleted list of religious values with your name tag. They pay no taxes. Ain't religion grand? :)

If you can put up with the hoopla, then go for it.. It sounds like they only want 'like minded' people around the children and apparently you are a little too realistic and logical.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, got a similar thing once when I applied to a Catholic Church run origination. It's perfectly legal, but for sure different then your normal job requirements. Teachers sign something a long the same lines.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    While I personally don't agree with the seemingly forced conversion through signature, I have no issues with the notion.

You are applying for job at a Christian school ran by a Christian organization with students who were sent there by Christian parents to get an education in a Christian environment, so they are more than likely looking for anyone who wouldn't disrupt the "harmony" for lack of a better word. It's the "whole picture" approach to it.

From reading most of the comments of the thread, even if you didn't have to sign that form, would probably complain because the environment is too "religious" and just wouldn't be a good fit for the company anyway, regardless of your skill level.

I woudn't sign that form and just request that the employer just be upfront with the belief portion instead of having people apply and then are blind sided by this form
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I swear I just saw this post at either r/Jobs or r/Sysadmin..
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally would take that job. Anytime anything broke that was my fault I could just say "It's just Jesus Christ himself testing me and he wanted this to break. Hopefully he will reign down his divine will to make AT&T fix their switch, oh praise be to God."

And virtualization, isn't that a bit "blasphemous" for them to believe in? lol. Sorry, just had to laugh at that.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    This is religious discrimination plan and simple. It's the last line in the document that makes it so. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the mission of the organization and asking potential candidates if they can respect the ideals of the organization but you can't hang a sign up and say convert from Judisam or other religions or you will not work here.
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This has got to be the most amusing thread on TechExams...thanks for posting! Cannot believe they would try and force their beliefs on you. Let us know which route you decide to go!

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd