Options

How many vacation days do you have?

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been reading some comparisons between US and EU and just learned that in the US there is no law on this subject, so if the employer doesn't want to give you time-off, you are ****** up. As I assume this is not the standard case, how many days do you have?

Comments

• Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    28 days. Started with 22 days. Live in the UK... Also we get a few public holidays (Bank holidays)...
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've gotten two to four weeks paid time off at any place I've ever worked (excluding minimum wage jobs, which had no paid time off and no holiday time off either). I get most holidays off and they're paid for. Also, I get more unpaid time off then anyone could ever want.

As a general rule, I'd say that most minimum wage jobs don't offer any form of paid time off.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unlimited.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Got a good amount. But yes..
    Once I interviewed with a place that gave you 8 days per year... way less than 1 per month of work. But the usual is that at least they give you 12 days (more most of the times).
    meh
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    In US

I get 3 weeks, 4 personal days , 5 sick days
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I've always had 2 weeks or more, with the exception being a public school district where you get all the school holidays off.

My current employer gives me 3 weeks + bank holidays + the entire company shuts down Xmas week.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Unlimited in the US.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently three weeks. I had 5 at my last job.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    24 days a year as many work from home days and sick days as I need. I won't work for a company who is really ridged about leave, it bothers me.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Looks like 4 weeks per year of combined leave (vacation/sick/hungover), as well as 1-3 personal days.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    3 weeks vacation, 8 personal days, 9 holidays, 5 sick, very flexible WFH, lots of "<insert next work day> is a holiday so let's leave early today", some "it's <insert coworker name> birthday so let's bail and head to the bar early".
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    US, never counted them, but plenty. Never was able to spend all of them.
  • Options
    Good to see that most organizations are treating their people right. It's such a big deal to people. I had a friend who risk not getting a job paying ~120 annual with a 55% bonus structure and sales commission because they only offered him 10 days. He countered at 15, (he was used to 20+) but they stonewalled him. He later in gave in to 10 days due to the heavy salary.

Just thought that was an interesting story to toss out there. It's a big deal.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    US School District Job here
    Vacation time and sick time adds up to unlimited. Most people cash them out when they retire.
  • Options
    tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6 weeks..not all american companies are what you hear on fox news ^_^
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't understand those who are saying "unlimited" xD So you take 3 months vacation every year and you company is ok? xD
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    2 weeks PTO here + 3 sick days. We get the major holidays off as well.

My dad (not in IT) has been with the same company for 20+ years and gets 8 weeks PTO. Loyalty rewarded. I didn't know it could get so high icon_surprised.gif
    :lol:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    yzT wrote: »
    I don't understand those who are saying "unlimited" xD So you take 3 months vacation every year and you company is ok? xD

Well, there is no set amount. Within reason of course. They aren't going to let you take the whole year off, but if something comes up you're still getting paid even if you've taken a few weeks vacation.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well, there is no set amount. Within reason of course. They aren't going to let you take the whole year off, but if something comes up you're still getting paid even if you've taken a few weeks vacation.

That's called performing good business. :)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yzT wrote: »
    For me it keeps adding up with no cap.
    Meaning I can accumulate an unlimited amount of days.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I get 3 weeks a year. Sick leave is combined with that. So basically, I try not to get sick.

This is the struggle with only having 3 years of job experience, though.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    US, I get 16 days PTO per year with a cap of 28 days. No separate sick/vacation/personal days.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    US, I accrue 10.15 hours per pay period (2 weeks) with a cap of 39 pay periods of accrual (396 hours or 49.5 days). It's a combined use PTO bank and we can sell unused PTO back to the company at varying rates depending on whether we choose to pre-elect to sell (100%) it or sell it ad-hoc (85%). That's a nice option to have also. If I am ill for more than 40 hours of PTO it switches to Short Term Disability (with a medical note from a Doctor) with a 520 hour bank at full pay that refills annually.

Also, as a salaried employee I use PTO in 4 hour blocks. If I show up for work for 5 minutes and take the rest of the day off I use 4 hours, if I leave 5 minutes after lunch I use no PTO. If I have an appointment that doesn't take half a day or a whole day I just go, no PTO required. I also work from home two or more days a week.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently getting 4 weeks of PTO along with 8 Federal Holidays and the ability to work from home a third of the time.
    I knew I was working for a good company when I was getting paid to drink or play softball/volleyball on various days icon_cheers.gif
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick, 1 volunteer day, 8 paid holidays and ability to carry over.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh, we're talking accrual too? I get 4 weeks per year, can accrue a max of 8 (or 9, I'd have to check). I've been here 7 years now though, it didn't start this way
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Two weeks of vacation.

I got five weeks when I worked for a British company. icon_sad.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Paid days off: Zero
    Unpaid days off: As many as I want, within reason.

I am a contractor though, so I am paid more per hour to make up for the lack of paid time off.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wes allen wrote: »
    Paid days off: Zero
    Unpaid days off: As many as I want, within reason.

I am a contractor though, so I am paid more per hour to make up for the lack of paid time off.

Same, I'm scheduled to move to regular FTE within 6 months though. It really only stinks around holiday time but I'm able to save up any hours past 40 a week and bank them for time in the future. So really I rarely have to work over 40 set hours a week, not bad. In the past I've had jobs with 4+ weeks of vacation and unlimited sick time so it's a bit of a culture shock.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The contractor world was a shock from the military. Mil - 30 days paid leave, plus 10 vacation days, more depending on your unit, and unlimited sick days. Leave can roll over up to 75 days.

Contractor - 10 Days paid leave, 10 days vacation, 5 days sick leave. No roll over.