How many vacation days do you have?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get 5 weeks a year
    We also have off on holidays
    I can also work from home any time I am feeling sick

The managers in the company I work for strongly believe in using vacation time only for vacations, not appointments or because you or someone is sick in the house. They want that time used for going away without any connection to work, whatsoever.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    10 days vacation really. But they combined sick+personal+vaca into one big sum of PTO time this year, which totals 19 days, not including holidays. Not terrible, but not great.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    US here. At my last job 19, plus 1 per year w/ the company, so when I left I had 23. At the current job 15 days, which seems pretty standard when the company combines sick and vacation into one pot.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    5 days sick time, 5 days vacation time.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We don't get any benefits, not unless you count free coffee and water.

We don't get holiday pay, vacation, or personal days.

Holidays are not paid

No health care benefits ( it's to expansive, because we are so small)

I think the salary guys get paid vacation and a company car to use.
    Is this normal in IT?

My last company (NOT IT) had health benefits, vacation, and holiday pay.

If you have benefits. (please remember the word "benefit" ....this is not a right when you have a job)
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We don't get any benefits, not unless you count free coffee and water.

We don't get holiday pay, vacation, or personal days.

Holidays are not paid

No health care benefits ( it's to expansive, because we are so small)

I think the salary guys get paid vacation and a company car to use.
    Is this normal in IT?

If you have benefits. (please remember the word "benefit" ....this is not a right when you have a job)

Sounds like you're an hourly employee, which is something you might do when you first start, or you're a contractor and charge enough that the benefits don't matter as much. Typically most IT jobs fall more into the career vs job category and you'll expect benefits or it's a major negative to the job offer.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I negotiated 25 vacation days plus I get a floating mandatory 1 week vacation in late summer.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Not too good for me, 2 weeks after a year plus 4 floaters. and major holidays. Almost every other benefit is good. I interviewed with an unlimited vacation company. It seemed to me like those plans would either turn into a guilt trip if you took two weeks off or total irritation with other co workers who would push the limits. Maybe I am wrong but I know it only takes one or two people to screw up a good thing.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    120 vacation hours, 40 sick leave hours, and 40 volunteer hours. The best part is that I don't have to accumulate hours. I get all those hours right away at the beginning of the year.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Is this normal in IT?

I think that is normal in (non-Federal) contracting, but not for actual employees of a company. You're correct, it isn't a right, but it is an expected part of a compensation package. My employer provides a "Total Compensation" print out, and it's worth about an additional 15% on top of your paycheck itself. They're not a right, but if you aren't getting them, you had better be getting paid more. They're a part of your comp, not something benevolent your employer does out of the kindness of their heart.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get 10 up front at the start our work year (starting at our anniversary of hire), 2 hours of sick time gained every pay period, and every federal holiday off.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My pay isn't doesn't make up for the lack of benefits.

I'm an hourly employee.

We never got a total compensation package.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I accrue leave at a rate of 7.5 hours per payday (every two weeks). This works out to about 24 days a year, which includes sick time, holidays, and personal time. Once I have been there five years, I will start to accrue at 9 hours per payday. We can accrue a total of 300 hours and sell back in blocks of 40 hours
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    10 days vacation, 5 days sick/personal (I think it's 3 sick 2 personal, whatever, same pool), and around 9-10 days paid holidays. It's not quite enough - I'd like to be able to take a day off once a month, plus a week off once a year. Unfortunately, the company doesn't negotiate this stuff, and it takes 5 years to bump up to 15 days vacation. Sick/personal stays the same forever.

If it wasn't for that, I'd happily work there till retirement :-/
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    alias454 wrote: »
    I accrue leave at a rate of 7.5 hours per payday (every two weeks). This works out to about 24 days a year, which includes sick time, holidays, and personal time. Once I have been there five years, I will start to accrue at 9 hours per payday. We can accrue a total of 300 hours and sell back in blocks of 40 hours

This is my style exactly, except the company recently killed sell back options. You must work for a hospital like I do.
  • Options
    TylerBarrettTylerBarrett Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Working at my MSP in Canada I get 10 paid days off per year and 3 sick days (that require a written doctors note to use). Don't allow them to get rolled over at the end of the year, they'll just pay the days out. Unpaid time off is acceptable, however as busy as we are taking time off (vacation or unpaid) is generally hard to do.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    4 weeks in Australia (per law). I thought US companies had it worse...I was wrong :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get 196 (~5 weeks) vacation hours a year (16 a month, rolls over, 400 hour cap), 120 sick hours (resets on my anniversary date, can be used for doctors appointments, sick kids, etc.), 6 paid holidays, and 4 season days which are used between Christmas and New Years. We also get bitched at if we don't use our vacation time, as work/life balance is very important.

I work for a large University in the US.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    25 for PTO, 15 sick, holidays off, but I also get to work from home when needed and if I need to take some hours off during the day for a doctor's appt or whatever, my employer tends not to care.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    4 weeks in Australia (per law). I thought US companies had it worse...I was wrong :)

A lot do have it much worse. In the last 5 or so years it seems PTO has become a big perk in the tech industry used for recruiting here. Stylish offices, MAC books, things like that as well. Before then I always got the basic two weeks or something along those lines and stuffed in a standard cubicle.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    25 Days per year.

Although, I hardly use any of them and they do not roll-over.

It's more of a recruiting tool than anything, I don't think that there is anyone on my team that uses all five weeks.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    A lot do have it much worse. In the last 5 or so years it seems PTO has become a big perk in the tech industry used for recruiting here. Stylish offices, MAC books, things like that as well. Before then I always got the basic two weeks or something along those lines and stuffed in a standard cubicle.

That's what I thought too! Here 4weeks is the standard, I also have unlimited sick days, and WFH whenever you have an excuse (or make up one really).

The fancy tech companies try to emulate the US ones so they have ping pong and beer and stuff but I haven't worked for any, I feel it's a trap to work you longer hours but I could be wrong.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have 26 days.

I have not taken long vacations yet. I can accumulate as much as i want but every three years thay have you take a week at least.

2 weeks a yer per law. In the goverment people get an extra day after 5 years and 2 extra days after 10 years with a top on 20 years.
  • Options
    LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6 weeks, which is pretty standard here.... Also all sick days are paid, and holidays as well.

It is illegal here to work without having health benefits.

When I worked in the US before I got 9 days per year. Glad to see that so many people are getting more than that, I was under the impression that 2 weeks was as good as it gets there for anyone other than teachers...