Options

At what point do you just kind of give up?

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
lhgtNl4.png

In 2.25 months, I have applied / sent my resume to 300 positions in or around my area.

I've interviewed in person with 2 companies, including the last one I posted about that took 10 interviews for them to tell me the position requirements had been changed.

I get called constantly, but it's always by India based recruiters who I either can't understand half the time, or they want me to modify / change my resume substantially before they will submit me along in the process. Other recruiters who I speak with about positions will get my resume, and then I won't hear back even after trying to follow up with them.

I guess I just need some motivation to keep going. I officially start my WGU program July 1st for Software Development... but I am in dire need of an income.

/rant

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those indian recruiters bring up some interesting positions though. I feel you it took me awhile to find an it job and now taking awhile to move on to a better position. While job titles are mostly meaningless in IT, are you qualified for all the positions? Are you having any luck with Craigslist? I found my current job on there but haven't gone back to it yet, mainly rolling the dice.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Just curious, I see your list of certs as sysadmin-based, but you're going for a Dev degree. Are you looking to switch tracks in your career?
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE
    I am. I've spent the last 6 months learning programming, self taught the basics of a few different languages along with going through some MOOC courses. I feel that development is the only place to really earn a decent wage as the salary for system admins and helpdesk positions are just abysmal at this point.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Thacker wrote: »
    I feel that development is the only place to really earn a decent wage as the salary for system admins and helpdesk positions are just abysmal at this point.

Yeah, unless you're a virtualization rockstar, and even then you have to be in the right market. The thing that always scared me about development is the fact that the big companies seem to either hire college kids or H-1Bs, and the outsource potential is way higher. It's like Russian Roulette to pick the right IT career. What's hot one year may be a wasteland the next.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESAARY QUOTE

That's why I am trying to diversify as best as possible.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can tell you it took me a long time to break into the career field. I was applying for a good year before I got my break, but you look to be better qualified then I was.

I get its tough, but once you break in it makes it all much more worth it.
  • Options
    lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're currently unemployed? If so, for how long?
    Does your resume contain keywords specific to the positions in which you're applying?
    How many years of relative experience?
    Do you network with professionals in your area?
  • Options

Been unemployed since december of 2014.
    Resume is solid, had it redone before I started all this by a former IT recruiter.
    10 total years of professional experience, 7 of those in IT, including running my own business for a while.

No networking, have 0 idea how to accomplish that.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where are you at. If you are anywhere near the Pacific Northwest I know BPA is hiring contractors. It's federal governement so they use some weird rules but the wage is pretty much above average.
  • Options

Thanks. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the US but I am currently in the south. I've had a few positions in other areas that interviews went well for, but the companies would not help me relocate.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    NEVER QUIT. Unless, you no longer have the dream. FWIW

Also Thacker, why do you expect a company will help you move? What skills are you bringing to the job to make them consider you over all the local candidates? If you are not willing to move on your own, expect for some real high end position, rarely will a company pay for someone to join the team when they can find that person locally. So, if you can make yourself stand out from the locals, you may find someone willing to help you move.
    What sort of "moving/relocating" help are you asking for? Do you want someone local who can help you find an apartment? Or do you need them to find you a local realtor? Are you looking for just $$$? Lastly, how much time do you need to get setup in the area if you do move there? You may need to make the move quickly, say within a week or two, so no long goodbyes at home and limited packing so you can get to the new area, set up, and be productive at the new employer.

The more clearly YOU identify your needs and wants, the better you might convey those dreams and one day realize them.

Keep trying

(FWIW - dire need for income to me means that you are ready for ANY type of work, so go get ANYTHING and that will take some stress off and make you sound less desperate when you interview. The easiest way to land a new job is while you are currently working at a job).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Good post Plant.

I am over being picky, basically anything reasonable that is thrown my way is getting accepted at this point.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    where in the south. I know Dell is hiring. I have friends who work there unfortunately they don't pay the best but Austin is supposed to be the number 3 place in the country for tech jobs right now (after San Jose / Silicon Valley and Seattle)
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NEVER GIVE UP! I was just like you at one point. I was hopeless and I was about to give up, but I was persistent. I sent out hundreds of applicantions and resumes and I went on over 30 interviews over a span of almost 3 years. I finally got my break in August of 2014! I love my job and I've been promoted to a Network Analyst, and I haven't even been there a year yet! When I thought things couldnt get any better, they got better than I ever imagined! Please stick with it and don't give up. You'll get your big break in due time. Good Luck
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you post your resume?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with olaHalo, just because an IT recruiter did your resume doesn't mean it is good. I'd post it up here with your personal info wiped out. You have a lot of experience and a pile of certs and are barely getting follow up, something is off.
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Do you have a Linkedin Profile which looks professional? If so, the next step is to reach out to your network and let people know that you are in need of employment.

I've found my last two jobs like this... got hired right away.

Don't give up and keep going! It can be frustrating to be out of work, but you must constantly tweek tings - try new avenues. I hope you aren't sending the same resume to different positions.

Please take the time to customize your resume to the job you are applying for.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    buhuskybuhusky Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of sysadmin postings in there. FWIW, in my experience, sysadmins are a dime a dozen nowadays and for each of those 300 resumes you've sent out the company probably had 300 people apply. My advice if you want to stand out as a sysadmin is 1) network and 2) get a nice, focused resume. Networking will help your future boss find you before he knows he needs you. A focused resume will show them you meet their requirements.

Otherwise I'd say branch out into other areas. Programming's good. At this point I'm also recommending to underlings here that ask my opinion that they get as involved as possible with cloud and/or security.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You. Don't. Give. Up.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2 interviews out of 300 companies you applied to? Definitely sounds like a resume issue. I'd post it on here (removing personal info) so you can get advice on how to improve it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□

Either that or the job requirements are way beyond what he's able to do, but I agree that I'd start with the resume first. <1% interview rate isn't good.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm not sure what to think here. As others have said there must be something inherently wrong. Resume, location, skills, something is just not right.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A couple of things come to mind. ***Without knowing you, which I clearly don't, it's impossible for any of us to help. But here are some killers I have seen in the past. As mentioned aren't getting the interviews so maybe personality on the phone screening or the resume.

-Appearance
    -Resume
    -Personality

These 3 can sink your employment efforts in a hurry.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure where you live int the South but the main tech hubs in the South are:

1. Austin (also known as the Baby Silicon Valley of the South)
    2. Atlanta
    3. Dallas

Stay away from Florida they have been absolutely flooded with H-1B visa IT workers, you will not stand a chance.

In those three cities you will not have problem finding a job with your qualifications.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes you have to set your sights lower to get a head. After being laid off in Sept I thought I could get in as a sysadmin or network admin and only applied to positions I wanted. After 4-5 months of not landing a job and unemployment running out I set my sights lower and received several offers within a few weeks. With your certs I'd aim for Sr. Desktop Engineer or Sr. Desktop Support type positions for large companies (fortune 1000). Then move up from within. Up in the NJ/Philly area they like to see you coming from the title or close to it and their is most definitely a bias against those that are unemployed.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Hammer80

I've heard that as well from locals in that area. It's a big state though so not sure if it's just certain parts of FL.
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thacker;

First - DON'T GIVE UP !!!
    There are so many things that make looking for another job a challenge; ie recruiters; appying via webste; too many applicants; etc. Giving up isn't going to help matters.

Second - GET A JOB - based on your current experience and skill set
    Some companies won't hire you if you aren't working no matter how great your resume, experience, skill set are.

Third - Look for jobs in the Dev sector after you get a job.

Its not easy to move from one skill set to another. Most of my experience is in routing/switching. I've always wanted to move to the security/firewall field. It just hasn't happended yet. By stroke of luck; I was able to get a contract job with a small ISP/CLEC that not only utilizes my routing/switching skill set but I've also gotten exposure to VOIP. There is a chance I might be exposed to security as well in my current job.

I don't know what others viewpoint is but; I think there is an element of luck or being at the right place at the right time in finding a job. Especially if you are making some kind of change from your current experience/skill set.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind two points: First its easier to get a job when you have one. Any job at this point is better than no job at all. Underemployed sounds better than sitting on my butt full time unemployed. People like to feel as though they are stealing from another employer. It just is.

Second, I see Indeed and Craigslist. Neither are exactly favorites in my recruiter bag of contacts. Do you have a LinkedIn account? If not - your wrong. Go see who you know and develop some recruiter contacts there as well. Have you posted a resume on Dice.com, Careerbuilder Techjobs, etc.? You don't have to go nuts but calls from other than folks who speak with a mouth full of marbles will call. I judge the quality of an opportunity by the quality of the recruiter contacting me and have for sometime. If every contact I receive about a particular opportunity is from some work from home, dog barking, kids screaming in the background or marble mouthed idiot who thinks I should "have a delightful day..." I'm not inclined to investigate further. If the position isn't worth promoting professionally - neither is the opportunity. You take the opportunity seriously and so will I. Otherwise, stay away or don't plan to stay long.

Always show your working on your next skill set, even if its not a skill that is likely to make you money. Currently I am finishing my studies for the Wireshark Certified Analyst. Why? Because I can and it shows I am always working on a tech skill. Oh and its incredibly useful to boot. Will it make me money? Indirectly, lol!

Good luck and keep us posted.

- b/eads
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It took me about 3.5 months to land this bank security role after being laid off from the SOC so hang in there. One thing I did do differently is I didn't apply via the website. I sent an email to HR with my resume and cover letter telling them what I was looking for because their website didn't list any positions. They responded with the position that I now have. I've sent my CV to other companies the same way and received better responses than the generic replies you get when applying online. Give it a try.

Also, just remember the wise words of the impeccable Justin Bieber:

I will never say never
    I will fight till forever
    Whenever you knock me down
    I will not stay on the ground

:D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^ Powerful words right there