Options

Hours per day worked by IT Security/Pentesters?

2»

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, this thread took a weird turn...
  • Options
    Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    InfoTech92 wrote: »
    man, sounds lucky to me. I wish I could meet a girl that wouldn't care if I spent that much time on something.

What does that have to do with IT Security?
    Regardless of what my job is i maintain a balance between work and life even if it mean having a girlfriend
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, girls... penetration testing... actually, never mind.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Well, girls... penetration testing... actually, never mind.
  • Options
    InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bchen2 wrote: »
    What does that have to do with IT Security?
    Regardless of what my job is i maintain a balance between work and life even if it mean having a girlfriend

LOL what? It was obviously sort of a joke...
  • Options
    InfoTech92 wrote: »
    LOL what? It was obviously sort of a joke...
    oh hahaha :)
    You got me there
    cyberguypr is our jokester in this thread :P since he talks about penetration testing and girls
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    docrice wrote: »
    I'm curious where you got the impression that security teams generally work less

C'mon everybody knows that!
    I kid the sec folks.

Sadly at some points in a career it's normal to work 10 hours a day. Maybe not exactly the whole day in a row but on-call duties, maintenance, installation.
    I've had to show up on weekends because there was UPS testing or something in the DC.
    So it's pretty normal. So please dont feel discourage if you ever get 10 hours a day, just be sure that is a good job, good pay and learn from it.
    meh
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From a purely pentesting viewpoint. Yes, your likely to put in roughly 40-45 hours a week pentesting applications and writing some stirring after compromise and audit reports. But its not over just yet! You will likely spend another 20-40 hours a week outside of work learning new tools, techniques and practices at home or in the office. Penetration testing isn't a 9-5 job without double the prep time doing what everyone else eludes to above. We read twitter off and on 12+ hours a day. We play Sir Hackalot in the home lab cause there is some problem we can't stay away from thinking out day and night until its solved. We are building that new lab in VMWare because there was a patch making the old lab feel old and less than cutting edge. We are tinkering and learning new software and development tools while other people sleep. Why? Because we want to and CAN. We are the alpha-geeks who rarely stop thinking about IT. And that's what separates the alpha-geeks from the 9-5 helpdesk types who want to become alpha-geeks.

No paragraphing cause that would ruin the whole rantish effect.

- beads
  • Options
    Keep in mind there are always trade offs if work hours concern you
    You can get a regular work schedule like the BA's ,Help Desk, and Computer Repair ppl, I work with
    but we are paid lower than engineers IT Security or System Admins ( theses guys are extremely dedicated to study out of work all the time from what I see) I stiill think we make good money helping the end users they treat us good for the most part however im pretty sure most people dont like makin a career in the help desk or desktop. At our company after the help desk we have positions like the help desk manager or desktop and still comes with good hours and decent pay plus theres always something interesting to learn without losing your sane

We go home at 5PM thou and wait till monday to work again thats the difference
    Its a question of if you want to chase the money or chase time off.

I would agree with beads thou about pen testing but do it if you have the passion
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    markulous wrote: »
    Wow, this thread took a weird turn...

"Boy that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast."
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    ProlifixProlifix Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses, but I guess the first post by danielm probably summed up all the responses in this entire thread - "it depends on the company".
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    "Boy that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast."
    Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
  • Options
    Did I really get negged because of my response in this thread? LMAO!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LOL first person I've seen with a red bar! Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably. Some people are too sensitive about things.
  • Options
    snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just landed a job in IT sec and I'm contracted to do 35 hours a week (I know, I know - even I'm adjusting to it, the days are so short!). This is mainly because the company don't really like paying overtime to non-contractors. I don't know why, but hey it means I get more time to study. I'm not including any time I do outside of work for study/researching topics for projects. I spend probably 2 hours a night doing study and a few hours on the weekends. I don't count it mainly because I choose to do it and I enjoy it.

However, I am essentially 'on call' 24/7 since I have a business mobile. Also, if work needs to be done or there is a project on the go and resource is needed, then it is expected that you will work (and since over time is a pain to approve, it is usually unpaid). The company looks after us though so when you need to put in a bit extra it's not that bad.
  • Options
    anoeljr wrote: »
    Probably. Some people are too sensitive about things.

They definitely are sadly. Can't even get mad, just have to feel bad for people like that. Kind of like the feeling when you see a kitty outside, lost and confused.