Certifications serious debate

2»

Comments

• goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Skip A+
    They have a value... for someone who's new in the field. Are you wanting to downgrade from System Admin to help desk? what?

Um, he's working the help desk right now. The A+ also teaches soft skills and how to deal with issues appropriately. Still a good investment.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • TonyTruong101TonyTruong101 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Skip A+
    They have a value... for someone who's new in the field. Are you wanting to downgrade from System Admin to help desk? what?
    Then you dont need A+
    Sec+ and MCSA are my suggestion for you.
    Get a new job, get more sec certs, get better job

Currently I am in a help desk support role with minor responsibilities handling AD admin stuff. I am not currently a sys admin nor do i have the working knowledge to apply at a company to start being one. With that being said I was more or less looking at the fact what I can do at my current position to move forward from help desk support and move away from this bad company but I have to stick it out in order to get my experience in order to apply at the same job or a somewhat better job at a different company. Or until I can get some cert to validate my experience.
  • ispep13ispep13 Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like your BOSS is happy with you staying right where you are. You are competent and he can go as he pleases. It appears he is discouraging you from getting certs. It seem like he wants to keep you where you are at. I could be reading too much into it.

Are there other IT positions in the company? If there are, I would try to read the job descriptions if possible and see what HR is looking for. Strange he would say this is all you need in that Company, which may be true if you are not going any higher.
    ispep13 wrote: »
    It sounds like your BOSS is happy with you staying right where you are. You are competent and he can go as he pleases. It appears he is discouraging you from getting certs. It seem like he wants to keep you where you are at. I could be reading too much into it.

Are there other IT positions in the company? If there are, I would try to read the job descriptions if possible and see what HR is looking for. Strange he would say this is all you need in that Company, which may be true if you are not going any higher.

Well the current company is a relatively small business with a total of 110 - 120 employees so there's only myself and my IT director. He ensures I do my job right, and handles all the "higher" tiered support requests from upper management which usually consists of creating a work order and sending it to the appropriate third party vendor. I have no room for advancement at the current employer hence why I am looking to move away from this company and possibly this role altogether. But I do understand that HR recruiters usually filter by certs / degrees hence making that leap to another company has been harder for myself as I've taken the non-tradtional route towards my IT career.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    goatama wrote: »
    Um, he's working the help desk right now. The A+ also teaches soft skills and how to deal with issues appropriately. Still a good investment.

He's doing AD admin stuff, that > help desk.
    Most help desks do not touch configuration or permissions of any kind.
    That alone with an MCSA would probably land him a good Jr Admin position.
    A+ does not teach any relevant soft skills. Better just have anyone here in the forum help him with interviews or mock ups through skype if he needs to work on his soft skills.

A CCNA is cheaper than A+ and will land him way more views on his resume than an A+.
    Again, if you have the time and money to spent in something that will not result in relevant ROI and it contains stuff below what you do, then be my guest.
    My time is more valuable than that, always look up! Not sideways or back.
    meh
    He's doing AD admin stuff, that > help desk.
    [...]
    A+ does not teach any relevant soft skills. Better just have anyone here in the forum help him with interviews or mock ups through skype if he needs to work on his soft skills. [...]

Not sure when you took your A+, but I got mine in 2004 and again in 2014 for school. It's definitely come a LONG way in preparing an individual for the soft skills needed doing helpdesk and desktop support. In fact, had I been given the 2014 curriculum back in 2004, it would have definitely helped with a job prospect that I missed out on due to not having those soft skills that it explicitly trains you for. It has value.

CCNA may be cheaper, but the learning is much more in-depth than just reading a couple books, you need hands on experience with routers and switches in order to pass those sims. Sure, it can be done with free software like GNS3, but the A+ gives you that well rounded starting off fundamental baseline for the industry.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    @Kurosaki00

I actually didn't think of it like that. Interesting thought that you''ve brought up. As i mentioned earlier in my posts I did go to my local institution (SAIT - Southern Albertia Institute of Technology)

Windows Server Certificate of Achievement | SAIT Polytechnic | Calgary, Alberta

I took the CMPN 318 & CMPN 329 I passed both classes and the in class exams (which aren't worth anything except to pass the class) but after which I returned to my current employer to find out I wouldn't be able to exercise what I learnt in class. So keeping up with the knowledge / theory presented in class was a challenge. I could technically finish the rest of the course preps + online self study and challenge the MSCA but then again when I was in class learning the material I was fully overwhelmed by what was being taught as:

A) first time seeing it in a technical light.
    B) was never able to replicate what was taught in class at my current environment.
    C) Fast track condensed program

So then I started looking towards CompTIA A+ as that is more what I get to do on a daily basis. And the start of my dilemma.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I took A+ around 2008ish? I think.
    It was basically printers and hardware. I just dont consider it has any more value besides getting someone's foot into Information Technology. If doing IT already, don't see the value.
    meh
    @Kurosaki00

[...] So keeping up with the knowledge / theory presented in class was a challenge. I could technically finish the rest of the course preps + online self study and challenge the MSCA but then again when I was in class learning the material I was fully overwhelmed by what was being taught as:

A) first time seeing it in a technical light.
    B) was never able to replicate what was taught in class at my current environment.
    C) Fast track condensed program

So then I started looking towards CompTIA A+ as that is more what I get to do on a daily basis. And the start of my dilemma.

Based on this, and your other comments in this thread, I'm still going to recommend you get your A+. It'll give you that foundation. If you were having issues in this class, then you need the fundamentals A+ will provide. Even if you don't get the cert, get the books and learn them. Whether you want to throw $300 at it for the piece of paper is up to you, some feel you don't need it because of your job. But you definitely want to have the knowledge.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    @Goatama

Yeah I'm still aiming to get that foundation as I now understand that to be an expert on anything you have to understand the foundation of it. Alongside with what @kurosaki00 has mentioned I think between all inputters on this thread I've come up with a pretty decent plan.

Finish my A+ , Transition to a better company, Start & Finish Net/sec +, either another transition or hopefully the first transition lands me with a company that deals with networking/security , then MCSA to get my Windows 2008 R2 cert. <
    is this going to be outdated soon? should I skip the 2008 cert and get a 2012 one?
    That looks good. Maybe do 2012 instead, if you can. That'll give you a better leg up in the future.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to side with kurosaki here. While the A+ is not crap and it is not going to hurt your resume whatsoever, you're still spending resources on this that can be better used somewhere else. That time and money can go towards a more advanced cert that has a better ROI.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're already in the field I'd suggest vendor certificates (cisco, microsoft, vmware). The only reason for getting any CompTIA certs right now is to make a lateral move, unless a more advanced position requires one like Security+ is common in the public sector.

As for when to let A+ expire, whenever it's not required for the positions you are working in/apply for. I don't see many admin positions asking for it.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    If your current boss isn't willing to pay for certs or support you in it, then stop asking him and do what you want to do anyway. I worked for a small company that wouldn't do any of that, I finished my entire BS while I worked there and picked up a bunch of certs and never mentioned it to them. They've already cut your hours down to 20 a week, just focus on yourself, then go get a better job that does appreciate you.

This x 1000! I'm in a similar boat. I picked up N+, S+, and CCNA:RS all while working here. The management didn't care. Its a little deflating/anti-climatic to show up at HR with a CCNA certificate, and all they do is add it to your personnel file. They don't have a clue how much work went into earning it. They just want you out of their office so they can finish their coffee. /rant

Anyways, some places won't appreciate you now matter what you do. So, just stay in the shed, sharpen your tools and get your credentials. In my opinion, I would say get the A+. If nothing else, it will be a good motivator to do more certifications. And you've proven to yourself and everyone else that you know wtf you're doing. HR departments often look for these certifications during the selection process, so its also useful to get through these filters.

Yeah, A+ is an entry-level cert. But that doesn't mean you're a beginner. It doesn't define your abilities. Its small, but its a little spark that will ignite something bigger.
    2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
    2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
    2017 Goals: [X]70-412
    2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So like, just get some certifications and never tell the guy. Then shop for jobs/ask for raise/etc..

What's the big deal?