Upgrading to Windows 10 now!

124»

Comments

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I upgraded my 6 Years old Laptop, I replaced its HDD with a cheap, slow 120 GB HDD from an external drive years ago.

Originally it had Vista, upgraded (for free) to Windows 7 and finally to Windows 10, I had dual boot with Kali Linux.

Upgrade to windows 10 was extremely slow but successful, Dual Boot setup was not affected by the upgrade.

So, upgrade is done and Windows started, CPU is @ 70%, RAM @ 60%, Slow HDD @100%, the laptop is not usable at all.

So I created an image and a Boot DVD, removed a 120GB SSD (Which is worth 2x the laptop) from my PC and put it in the laptop, restore from image, now the laptop is good :D

now, do I buy an SSD for the #$%$$# laptop or get a Microsoft Surface :D
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    I upgraded my 6 Years old Laptop, I replaced its HDD with a cheap, slow 120 GB HDD from an external drive years ago.

Originally it had Vista, upgraded (for free) to Windows 7 and finally to Windows 10, I had dual boot with Kali Linux.

Upgrade to windows 10 was extremely slow but successful, Dual Boot setup was not affected by the upgrade.

So, upgrade is done and Windows started, CPU is @ 70%, RAM @ 60%, Slow HDD @100%, the laptop is not usable at all.

So I created an image and a Boot DVD, removed a 120GB SSD (Which is worth 2x the laptop) from my PC and put it in the laptop, restore from image, now the laptop is good :D

Get a surface pro.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am waiting surface pro 4... So going to purchase one. I waited a good while too, as I almost bought the surface pro 3 last year. Good thing I waited.
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    So I'm reading about the "botnets" or added user spying in Windows 10. Bunch of guides floating around showing how to disable them and others saying you can't. I haven't upgraded yet, but how bad is it?
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Params7 wrote: »
    So I'm reading about the "botnets" or added user spying in Windows 10. Bunch of guides floating around showing how to disable them and others saying you can't. I haven't upgraded yet, but how bad is it?

There are actions you can take to disable a lot of the spying, but I also heard that there are things that can't be removed.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I hear you on that. This is one of the main reasons why I don't load a lot of programs directly on my computer. I have migrated, for the most part, to using VMware Workstation, building VMs, then putting programs on them. Might seem like it is a bit much, but, I have been a lot less hesitant about updating/upgrading the OS directly on my machine. Just as long as I have backups of my VMs and other important data, I don't worry about having an update/upgrade go south on me.

I ended up just taking a leap and doing it. Got it to work fine on my desktop through Windows Update. No issues and actually freed up a ton of space on my SSD. My Windows folder got bloated somehow in 7 (it was like 35GB).
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For years I've made it a prerequisite to install new programs and test them in VM's before installing them on the host OS. With VM's on SSD's you can hardly notice a difference in performance in virtualbox, kind of clunky on an HDD though. It's gone from about annual reformats to years without formats. Last time I formatted this box is when I 'upgraded' to Windows 8.1.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a laptop I upgraded and been loving it. 10 seems smoother and of course I have an XBox one that I am streaming to the laptop. Perfect and no hiccups I also have a Windows 10 phone Nokia 1520 that is smooth as butter. Although I do have to confess I am going back to Android on the phone because of apps and the Edge+ is too tempting and a major upgrade over a 3yr old Windows phone.
  • Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I still maintain my position that none of my computers will be changed from Windows 7 anytime in the foreseeable future.

I had a chance to work on a Windows 8 laptop recently, new in the box, and upgrade it to 10. I see changes that I feel are completely unnecessary and make no sense. Most important to me is the ability to click Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System like in 7. Why does 10 change this? There is no benefit to changing it.

Microsoft is giving this OS away for free to get their spy network farther into our lives.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I rolled back to 8.1 icon_sad.gif
    It was causing consistent issues when I enabled SLI for gaming. Latest NVIDIA drivers didnt fix.
    Static issues with Realtek drivers that wasn't fixed by Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Dont feel like working 8x as hard to get a game to work after working all day :P I'll wait til they get it ironed out then move forward again.
    techfiend wrote: »
    For years I've made it a prerequisite to install new programs and test them in VM's before installing them on the host OS. With VM's on SSD's you can hardly notice a difference in performance in virtualbox, kind of clunky on an HDD though. It's gone from about annual reformats to years without formats. Last time I formatted this box is when I 'upgraded' to Windows 8.1.

I think I will start doing that when I install Windows 10 on my PC, If I do not use the application every day it will go into a VM.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone else having issues when hovering over links in Edge? For instance, in O365 when I'm trying to scroll through each page of groups, any time I hover over the arrow to go to the next page, the URL pops up over the link and I can't click anything. However, if I'm quick enough I can do it. They need to design it like Firefox where URL box goes to the other side of the browser when you are hovering over it.
    wd40 wrote: »

I just realized that I did something really stupid
    I needed the laptop for a one week trip, I was running out of time so I had to find a quick solution to fix the laptop slowness issue.
    The 120 GB SSD was used for Backup and file history, I forgot to take backup of that before moving it to the Laptop.
    icon_cheers.gif

Now I have to start my history from scratch :D