Options

WGU BS - IT Security Start Date 9/1/15

Comments

• Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Great pace bro! Keep it up.

One quick question: Does one have to go through WGU material, take quizzes, do assignments, pre-assessments, and only then mentor issues you a vendor voucher to schedule the cert exam or can one self-study and then just ask mentor to issue a voucher and be done with it? I am a bit confused on how hard getting that voucher will become once my term kicks-off?

This mostly depends on your mentor. Typically, you'd have to take a pre-assessment style quiz and pass with they deemed acceptable, then they would approve the voucher. However, you will find out if you do really well and pass your courses on the first try, etc. then they are a lot less picky about issuing vouchers. My mentor doesn't mind issuing me the voucher the day I enroll in the class, then I schedule it for 2 weeks out or so, study my materials and go take it. That gives me the ability to have a goal to work towards and enough time to reschedule a few days out if I feel like I need more time.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Great pace bro! Keep it up.

One quick question: Does one have to go through WGU material, take quizzes, do assignments, pre-assessments, and only then mentor issues you a vendor voucher to schedule the cert exam or can one self-study and then just ask mentor to issue a voucher and be done with it? I am a bit confused on how hard getting that voucher will become once my term kicks-off?

Everything in the Course of Study is completely optional. My SM doesn't go through mine, though I believe they're able to.

You need to do at least one pre-assessment, though two would be best (one before you start and one after). Unless you're going for a certification, then they'll want to take a screenshot of a passing score on a practice exam or something similar.
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My SM pulled my card for the CCNA Security, actually wanted me to go thru the COS but was able to use my job's Skillsoft which was actually pretty beneficial. The issue I had with A+ and CCNA Security course material and even the "pre-assessments" is that I was better off studying the official guide and FLG for CCNA Security and for the A+ stuff, just study your weak areas...IE Printer support and process/maintenance/troubleshooting for each type of printers,hardware,mobile device support, stuff like that...I was actually shocked that the A+ covered so much material.

I've started going over material for Linux+ and there is a ton of information on quizlets.com...
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow you are really breezing through the courses.

I really do appreciate the little tips and study areas to focus on, etc. I've started on the same track this month, so you are a month ahead of me. This thread has been helpful and also motivating. Keep it up!

I am currently on C456 and I have been kinda slacking off already because I can't decide on a topic. I will pick a topic and start doing research for the paper this week. I am actually looking forward to doing the coding courses. We will see how that works out!
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    One thing to remember with WGU and even with certs...A Pass is a PASS!!! With WGU, it's competency based so study and study until you feel like you have a firm grasp and then take a stab at it. That's how my SM has been instructing me thus far...she has her moments but overall no real complaints.
  • Options
    usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Another question:
    Can one take pre-assessments and the FINAL/assessment as many times until one passes or is there any limit?
    Are all assessments proctored or some are just non-proctored but time-based?

Any tips for Principles of Management and Business of IT:Applications? Do they require essays or quiz/assessments?
  • Options
    UPDATE: I just passed C697 earlier today so that's another 4 CU down. So, I'm closing out my second month with 22CU's. I really wanted to try to squeeze in C698 but being honest with myself, I'm not ready yet. I'll probably spend another week preparing. My SM came up with a decent idea since the holidays are approaching. She's going to only enroll me in a class once I pass the post-assessment or pre-assessment and I inform her that I'm ready for a voucher or to schedule the exam. This way, I'm not locked into completing a class and it give me a little flexibility. After I knock out C698, I'll be looking to tackle C376 to wrap up the certifications. Since I've heard that there's overlap in material b/w Project+ and Org Behavior and Leadership, Principles of Management...I'll be tackling those hopefully in December.
  • Options
    xdfeverxdfever Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im starting the BS-ITSEC NOV 1st! 6 More days!

im planning on doing intro to it, networks c480, OS1 c697, OS2 c698, and data foundations c175. how long did those classes take you fjhesq?
  • Options
    UPDATE: I just passed C698 earlier today so that's another 4 CU down. So, I've been enrolled for 10 weeks and I'm sitting at 26 CUs. I'll be knocking out C132 next since I've already done Task1 and Task2, it should be just submitting to TaskStream and studying for the assessment. Then probably C179, Business of IT - Applications....We shall see...

Since I've heard that there's overlap in material b/w Project+ and Org Behavior and Leadership, Principles of Management...I'll be tackling those hopefully in December/January.

@xdfever...Spent a little over a month for Linux+ but had a little experience and I haven't taken the other ones.
  • Options
    xdfeverxdfever Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks.

i just tested out of intro to IT and principles of management. going to test out of org behavior and leadership tomorrow then i have the net+ and sec+ left for this term. hopefully i can knock those out and add more to this term
  • Options
    SO...my motivation has stalled...LOL...the past week or so has been filled with a sick child, work demands, and just LIFE! I've submitted both performance tasks for C132 and Taskstream has approved both. It's just sitting down and focusing on studying for the objective assessment. I had a goal of being completed by 11/23 but I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I am in a similar boat. It took me a month and a half to do C170 (SQL) and now probably going to finish C169 (Java) in the same time frame. Not my ideal progression but I only have 6 classes left after Java. I just really have zero background in programming and it is challenging for me to get the motivation to learn it.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    UPDATE: I just passed C132 yesterday so that's another 3 CU down. I'm kind of bummed out because I only completed 7 CUs for the month of November. So, I've been enrolled for 13 weeks and I'm sitting at 29 CUs. I'll be knocking out C484 next since I've heard it's kind of easy. Then probably C179, Business of IT - Applications....We shall see...keep everyone posted.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your background is almost exactly like mine. Net. Eng. w/ 3 kids. :)

I transferred in 32 credits and completed 97 in my first term with more than a month left, so keep on trucking.. definitely attainable. One thing I did to maximize time was when I scheduled an exam I would immediately begin studying the next course. If you time it right, you can take one exam per week, sometimes two depending on how fast I could get my mentor to release the voucher.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    UPDATE: I passed C484 and I'll be taking C483 this week. I'm trying to squeeze in Principles of Mgmt, Project+, and Business of IT-Applications before my term ends at the end of February. I'm wrapping up review for Principles of Management and then I'll have the Data Management classes (Foundations and Applications), Scripting and Programming (Foundations and Applications), Project+, Web Fundamentals, Critical Thinking and Logic (glad they're modifying CoS and assessment), and the Tech Writing/Capstone.
  • Options
    UPDATE: I passed C483, Principles of Mgmt....I've begun working on studying for Business of IT-Applications...thought I'd take a stab at this one first since it seems to overlap some plus I've been reading mixed reviews on it. I have 8 weeks left and would like to knock this one out in 2 or 3 weeks and then knock out Project+ and be done for this term. That will then leave me with 27 CU's to graduate.
  • Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @FJHESQ
    My mentor said that once I complete the Linux courses then they can waive Business of IT Apps. Might wanna check into that.
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Options
    @whotime, I'd be curious to know how so on waiving Business of IT-Applications. I just shot my mentor a note to see.
  • Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yeah i have changed mentors because mine retired so i sent him and email too to see if it is still possible.
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Options
    So, I'm torn...C179 Business of IT-Applications sux!!! Was looking at questions for material and on quizlet and boy are there more than one correct answer, or so it seems that way. I'm torn because I have to take this class but was contemplating on taking Project+ first. Any feedback or suggestions?
  • Options
    UPDATE: Passed C176 (Project+) on 1/25/16...that gives me 40CU's for my first term. I have 34 days until my term ends and I'm thinking about attempting C168 since it has been revamped and the cut score is pretty low. For now, 31CU's until I'm done....
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe you can do the pre-assessment without enrolling the course. You might give it a run to see how far off you are from testing out.
  • Options
    UPDATE: Passed C168 on 2/8/16...that gives me 43CU's for my first term and I'll end with 43CU's and 3 weeks until term 2. I've started working thru C376 today and the goal is to have the website built/completed and ready for assessment on March 1. I'll then jump into C179. I pray/hope/plan that this will be my last term. Below are the classes that I have left for graduation.

C179 - 2 Weeks (I've looked at the material off and on)
    C173 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)
    C169 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)
    C175 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)
    C170 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)
    C376 - 2 Weeks (Currently going thru material now and should be ready on day 1 of term 2)
    C435 - 1 Month (To be safe)
    C436 - 1 Month (To be safe)

If I stay on schedule, it'll be 24 weeks to complete...term is 26 weeks...knees and elbows and nose back to the ground...LET's GET IT!!!!
  • Options
    UPDATE: Term 2 started on 3/1. As previously mentioned, I finished Term 1 with 43 CUs. I passed C376 on 3/6/16...that gives me 3CU's for my second term and 11 CUs to complete SAP for Term 2. I'm working on C179. I pray/hope/plan that this will be my last term. Below are the classes that I have left for graduation.

C179 - 2 Weeks (Aggressively studying and preparing)
    C173 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)
    C435 - 1 Month (To be safe)

If I stay on schedule, it'll be 24 weeks to complete...term is 26 weeks...knees and elbows and nose back to the ground...LET's GET IT!!!!
  • Options
    UPDATE: I passed C179 on 3/26/16...that gives me 7CU's for my second term and 7 CUs to complete SAP for Term 2. I'm working on C173 now. I pray/hope/plan that this will be my last term. Below are the classes that I have left for graduation.

C173 - 2 to 3 Weeks (I'm going to hate this class)...Signed up for 20 day Cohort and attacking it as I type this
    C435 - 1 Month (To be safe)...I've came up with topic and started writing paper
  • Options
    UPDATE: It's been a while but I started C173, then had some things come up with family life and work and I've gotten sidelined. It's hard getting back to studying and being focused on school work. I took the pre-assessment for C173 and got a 77%. I'm trying to buckle down and study to hopefully take this test by the first part of June. The below is what I have left...15 weeks left in term and 21CUs left.

C173 - (I'm going to hate this class)...Took pre-assessment, scored 77%, trying to do a final review and study over notes, goal is first part of June....
  • Options
    yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. ..I am down to C435 and C436 too....and have until end of next month to complete. Do or die here...we can do this! Let's finish...
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • Options
    UPDATE: It's been a while but I finished C173 on 6/27. It's been hard to zone in and get back to studying and being focused on school work. I'm gathering material to start C169 (the dreaded Java course) The below is what I have left...8 weeks left in term and 18CUs left.

If any of you have any resources, notes, or anything you're willing to share for C169, C175, and C170, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey you can get credit for the JAVA class if you pass the c173. just ask your mentor to request for it to be waived. if you take a higher class. it can be waived. i had couple classes waived.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome job man! The end is near! :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []