Options

Interview at VMWare *Got Hired*

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Well I didn't want to completely hijack dakinggamers thread so I figured I'd start my own. I signed a NDA so to be safe I won't go into extreme detail but the interview went great.

Had a phone interview with HR and followed up with an online technical exam which I didn't think I did well on but still got an interview.

Did the interview today and some of the technical questions really threw me for a loop. I couldn't even remember some of the basic Linux questions from my L+ exam since I don't use it. I did well on the scenario questions I think and the interview was only supposed to last an hour but went almost 3.

I hope I get it. Tons of benefits, great opportunities, and seems like a great career boost. Also would be beneficial if I plan on moving back to California.

It's still somewhat of a help desk role but it's supporting VMWare products and also pays 10-20k more.

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As you probably already know the fact that it was 3 hours instead of 1 is a good sign. You probably would not have had a interview that lasted two additional hours if they didn't think you were worth it. That being said I'm knocking on wood and wish you luck.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All the Best markulous !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hope it turns out well for you. Good luck
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working at vmware would look nice on a resume, should have upward mobility and appears to be a reasonable challenge for you. Looks like a step forward, best of luck!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck to you! Ignore the Helpdesk title, the increase is good and also you will have probably unlimited access to VMWARE learning opportunities that you can explore.
  • Options
    Thanks!

It's a Technical Support Engineer position. But I think it would definitely help me a ton. Doesn't seem like they need someone with tons of experience just someone with a decent base knowledge that is willing to learn. Hopefully I hear back soon.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, and great job!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck. I failed myself after the third round ... Ah well .. :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    I sent a follow up thank you email and they said they should be contacting me shortly, so hopefully that's another good sign. :)
  • Options
    Holy crap I got it! 17K raise, way better benefits, and it's friggin VMWare! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    markulous wrote: »
    Holy crap I got it! 17K raise, way better benefits, and it's friggin VMWare! icon_cheers.gif

Awesome! Congratz man!
    About the Jags though.... I'm sorry.
    meh
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□

Well done man! Tell us the salary number not just the raise lol. Enjoy all the VMWARE perks now!
  • Options
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Awesome! Congratz man!
    About the Jags though.... I'm sorry.

LOL. Hey our offense is going to be better this year. :D
  • Options
    Currently I make 22.50 an hour and now it'll be almost $30 an hour. Plus WAYYYYYYYYY better benefits and tons of free VMWare certs. :D
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! That is amazing so glad it worked out for you. ;)

Good luck on your journey if you are moving back to California let's grab lunch sometime once you get settled into your role. The benefits are amazing indeed from experience especially in learning opportunities and growth. If you ever have any questions along the way feel free to let me know.

God bless and good luck on your journey with blessings ahead!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats!! That is amazing so glad it worked out for you ;)

Good luck on your journey if you are moving back to California let's grab lunch sometime once you get settled into your role. God bless and good luck on your journey with blessings ahead!! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks!! I'll send you a PM if/when I do come back. I'm assuming it'd be fairly easy to switch offices, but my biggest obstacle would just be housing costs. Unless I got a huge raise going back there, I can't afford a $2500 house payment in that area.
  • Options
    Thanks!! I'll send you a PM if/when I do come back. I'm assuming it'd be fairly easy to switch offices, but my biggest obstacle would just be housing costs. Unless I got a huge raise going back there, I can't afford a $2500 house payment in that area.

It can be expensive but if you look hard enough you can rent out in the area around $1,800-$2,000/month in an apartment/condo. As for houses slightly higher depending on your needs above that average. I am mainly comparing the Silicon Valley area of course. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I have a wife and 2 kids so definitely don't want to do the apartment thing anymore and don't want to live in a bad area either. I'll probably have to wait until I apply for a better position within the company and/or my wife can make more money. But I absolutely love the Silicon Valley. I grew up near Stockton so it'd be nice to be within driving distance of all my friends and have way better weather and be right next to the ocean.
  • Options
    I have a wife and 2 kids so definitely don't want to do the apartment thing anymore and don't want to live in a bad area either. I'll probably have to wait until I apply for a better position within the company and/or my wife can make more money. But I absolutely love the Silicon Valley. I grew up near Stockton so it'd be nice to be within driving distance of all my friends and have way better weather and be right next to the ocean.

That's understandable for sure. If you need me to do any research or help on your behalf feel free to let me know. Look forward to VMware and the fun ahead!! ;)

• Options
    Thanks a ton! Even though we work at different sites, it's cool that someone on this forum works for the same company as me. :D
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I was hoping for good news for you!
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congratulations sir!
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Were you applying for many positions or talking to any recruiters?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job! I'd love to work for VMware.
    It can be expensive but if you look hard enough you can rent out in the area around $1,800-$2,000/month in an apartment/condo. As for houses slightly higher depending on your needs above that average. I am mainly comparing the Silicon Valley area of course. ;)

Im curious, what's a 4/2 plus office in a decent neighborhood run over there? I get hit up occasionally for jobs over there and I'd love to go back to Cali but I dismiss them immediately because of my housing requirements.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Congrats man! Were you applying for many positions or talking to any recruiters?

Actually no not at all. This job and one other one contacted me out of the blue off of my LinkedIn. I am starting a better position at my job next Tuesday that has more server and firewall support and I had planned on waiting until next year to apply for anything so I could have a better resume. So this was completely unexpected!
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz, Good luck on the new job. I'm glad I knocked on that wood.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Huge congrats man! That is a crazy awesome opportunity.