5. Global Economics for Managers - C211 | Complete
6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213 | In progress
7. Financial Management - C214
8. Ethical Leadership - C206
9. Data Driven Decision Making C207
10. IT Strategic Solutions MMT2
11. MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone - C218

Hi all,

I thought I would start a progress thread as I journey through the MBA – Information Technology Management degree. My initial goal was to have the degree completed in a year. NOPE! LOL! I knocked out my BS degree in 2 years as I was a fulltime student and school was my only focus. I’m working fulltime now and going to school fulltime. I have a new found respect for anyone who has worked and gone to school at the same time. It’s a challenge to balance life/school/work. So… if I can accelerate the next session… I could complete the program in 18 months, fingers crossed.

My thoughts so far are the program has been interesting and informative. Each class has presented a number of challenges and keeps me engaged in the curriculum. I’ve passed all the assessments on the first try with the exception of my last class. Global Economics for Managers is pure evil! :) Well… maybe not for everyone but it beat me up. I passed on the third try… you read that correctly… third try. icon_sad.gif The content isn’t intense; it’s just a ton of material. There are 22 chapters in which they pull 50 questions for the final out of all this information. If you have taken macro/micro economics in the past, you should be fine. This was a first for me question my intelligence. LOL

I’m in the middle of Accounting at the moment and it is a little dry but the videos really help.

If you have any questions about the degree or courses, let me know. I’ll update the thread as things progress.

Good times!
Hatch

Comments

• Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, I'm at about the same spot you are. I haven't started Accounting yet because I need to pass the GCIH and CEH first. I didn't mind economics so much, I really enjoyed marketing except that I had to appeal my paper twice. I really dislike the grading process, I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of high school kids or something.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »
    Wow, I'm at about the same spot you are. I haven't started Accounting yet because I need to pass the GCIH and CEH first. I didn't mind economics so much, I really enjoyed marketing except that I had to appeal my paper twice. I really dislike the grading process, I'm pretty sure it's a bunch of high school kids or something.

Congrats on your progress :) I found marketing to be ok/fun. The PM class was a lot of work but interesting, I enjoyed the course. I don't know what it was about Econ... it just beat me up. From what I understand... accounting isn't all that bad.

Good to see someone else on here pursuing the MBA:ITM degree. Keep me posted on your progress.

Hatch
  • Options
    The term has come to an end and I've applied to put school on hold until Feb 1st. My CCNA expires at the end of January and I need to switch gears and study/lab to pass CCNP Switch. So... it's going to be refreshing to study a subject I have some interest in LOL.

Back to school in Feb...
    Hatch
  • Options
    A few more weeks and I'll be in the final stretch....

8. Ethical Leadership - C206 Currently taking this class....

9. Data Driven Decision Making C207

Graduation is projected for Jan 2017 but I think I will finish at the end of November first of December.

Good times...
    Hatch
  • Options
    Ethical Leadership --- complete. This wasn't a bad class... a couple of papers and a test. The pretest and the test align well.

Currently in Financial Management - C214 --- for those of you who have taken this class... any tips?

One more term and the MBA will be conquered! Pressing on...

Frank
  • Options
    WGU MBA: IT Management Progress Thread
    1. Managing Organizations and Leading People - C200 | Complete
    2. IT Project Management - MGT2 | Complete
    3. Managing Human Capital - C202 | Complete
    4. Marketing - C212 | Complete
    6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213 | In progress
    7. Financial Management - C214- Complete
    8. Ethical Leadership - C206 - Complete
    9. Data Driven Decision Making C207- Currently enrolled.

Making progress... looks like I'll wrap this up by December. Good times!

Hatch
  • Options
    LLMeansLLMeans Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi! I'm in my first term of MBA-IT Mgt. We are far and few between. So, I'm happy to see you!

I'm on class #4 - Marketing. I hope to be complete within a week or so, and not looking forward to Economics. I have a feeling that it would be a bear for me too!

Good luck to you. :)
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey guys
    I'm starting the WGU MBA:ITM next month. I would love to be kept up to date on your progress since it will keep me honest/motivated!
    Good luck to both of you
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    LLMeans wrote: »
    Hi! I'm in my first term of MBA-IT Mgt. We are far and few between. So, I'm happy to see you!

I'm on class #4 - Marketing. I hope to be complete within a week or so, and not looking forward to Economics. I have a feeling that it would be a bear for me too!

Good luck to you. :)

Congrats :)

Welcome to the program. It's been a challenge so far...rewarding ... but a challenge.

Global Econ... Not to freak you out or anything.... this class for me... almost made me quit the program. I had to take the final three times to get past the evil subject. You might like it... grasp it.. and kill it on the final. What I found (again, maybe it's just me) the pre-assessment and the final were opposite. One was heavily weighted towards domestic economics and the other was more towards international econ. So, after the first test I reviewed the areas I scored poorly on... take the test... and it covered everything other than what I would focus on. Very frustrating!

I do hope you have a better experience with the class than I did. I found the material interesting, it's just a lot of material to cover. The rest of the classes have been decent. Accounting ... not bad at all. Just make sure you have a white board the day of the final. I couldn't find mine and I ended up taking the test without it. Keeping track of all the numbers in my head, while doing calculations... difficult. lol

Finance... lots of material... not a bad final.

Ethical leadership--- easy for the most part.

I'm in Data Driven Decision making... Task 1 and 2 are complete. I made task one much harder than I should have. If you would like a copy of the papers... PM me with an email address and you can get a better idea of what they are looking for with the format.

I'm in a slump... well.. I have been for the past month LOL I've just reengaged with the course...I'm burned out at this point. I'll knock out this class and the next one can be completed in a couple of weekends. I'm looking forward to finishing this Dec/Jan....

If you have any questions about the courses... feel free to ask. If you want to see sample work... I'll share out some links... just PM me.

@mzx380 congrats on starting the program. Some people knock it out in 6 months or less... some people (myself) run the full 2 years. Depending on your experience and with some of the previous knowledge you've gained from similar courses, you might be able to knock it out well before the two year mark. As mentioned above... if you want to review any of my course work.. I have no problem sharing it out. It might be helpful when trying to structure a paper or project.

All the best to you both and congrats again on your progress.

Hatch
  • Options
    6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213 | Complete
    9. Data Driven Decision Making C207- Currently enrolled. 50% complete

Making progress... looks like I'll wrap this up by Dec/Jan. Good times!

Hatch
  • Options
    ChadlaprinceChadlaprince Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hatch,

Do you have any study tips for Global Economics for Managers C211, I keep hearing that it's a beast? Anything would be helpful and much appreciated.
  • Options
    Any updates on your progress hatch1921?
    My start date is rapidly approaching and I would really like to finish this in a year so any help/info you could provide would be great.
    Thank you
  • Options
    Hatch,

Do you have any study tips for Global Economics for Managers C211, I keep hearing that it's a beast? Anything would be helpful and much appreciated.

Sorry...

I just read this post. By now... odds are you are in the thick of it or have completed the class. Global Econ killed me! I really struggled with the class. This isn't to say you will do well or knock it out with ease. For me, it was a bear. This was my first exposure to economics and when you combine micro/macro and top it off with domestic and international economics.... I was not a fan. LOL

Hope you made it thought it and have moved on to something else. :)

Hatch
  • Options
    mzx380 wrote: »
    Any updates on your progress hatch1921?
    My start date is rapidly approaching and I would really like to finish this in a year so any help/info you could provide would be great.
    Thank you

Congrats on starting the new adventure. I would be the wrong person to ask when it comes to completing the degree early. I'll hit my 2 year mark with the program. :)

If you are motivated to knock this out in a year, you can do it. For me... it's been the lack of time management and some serious burnout. I knocked out my BS ITM in 2 years... from zero credits to the BS... jumped in on the MBA ITM and it's been a struggle. I wasn't working when pursuing the BS... with MBA ... I've worked. Trying to find a balance ... for me... has been an issue.

So.... coursework wise... Global Econ has been the worst IMO. All others... not bad. The PM class was lengthy but worthwhile.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Congrats again.
    Hatch
  • Options
    9. Data Driven Decision Making C207-complete
    10. IT Strategic Solutions MMT2-- 50%
    11. MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone - C218 ---- Starting Feb 1st... almost there....

Hatch

• Options
    Keep up the good work man, you're giving me the motivation I need right now.
    Looking forward to hearing the good news when you're done
  • Options
    gee-enngee-enn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hatch1921, it's interesting to hear your experiences in some of the WGU classes. I am in the middle of C212 Marketing class and am a little lost. I would love to see a copy of your marketing paper to get a better sense of what is required. I can try to find the way to PM you with an email address if you are still able to share your paper.
    Oh and by the way, the Econ class was actually kind of on the easier side for me icon_smile.gif But I am much better at taking tests than I am at writing papers (hence my current predicament)

Cheers!
  • Options
    10. IT Strategic Solutions MMT2-- complete
    11. MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone - C218 in progress....

Hatch
  • Options
    gee-enn wrote: »
    Hi Hatch1921, it's interesting to hear your experiences in some of the WGU classes. I am in the middle of C212 Marketing class and am a little lost. I would love to see a copy of your marketing paper to get a better sense of what is required. I can try to find the way to PM you with an email address if you are still able to share your paper.
    Oh and by the way, the Econ class was actually kind of on the easier side for me icon_smile.gif But I am much better at taking tests than I am at writing papers (hence my current predicament)

Cheers!
    I'm not sure if you have to have "X" amount of posts on here before you can send a private message?

My suggestion... to make all your papers much easier to write.... download the Rubric and for each section they are asking you to address... make this a title on the paper. This way you only speak to the topics you are going to be evaluated on. Make sense? The link to the paper is below... the class was decent. Congrats on Global Econ.... not a fan of that course. LOL

Hope this helps.
    Hatch

• Options
    gee-enngee-enn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Hatch!
    Yes, you normally have to have 10 posts before sending a PM, although if you reply back to an email they send to prove you are not a spammer that process can be sped up a bit. But your nice link beat them to it icon_smile.gif
    Looks like the format/rubric requirements for the paper have changed a little bit since you had the class, but still, very helpful to see the approach you took with your paper.
    No pressure, but it would be interesting to also hear how your capstone project is going. I'm going to have to tackle that beast later on this year and it sounds like it might be pretty difficult. If you get some free time it'd be kinda fun to hear about that.
    Al the best, Gee
  • Options
    gee-enn wrote: »
    Thanks Hatch!
    Yes, you normally have to have 10 posts before sending a PM, although if you reply back to an email they send to prove you are not a spammer that process can be sped up a bit. But your nice link beat them to it icon_smile.gif
    Looks like the format/rubric requirements for the paper have changed a little bit since you had the class, but still, very helpful to see the approach you took with your paper.
    No pressure, but it would be interesting to also hear how your capstone project is going. I'm going to have to tackle that beast later on this year and it sounds like it might be pretty difficult. If you get some free time it'd be kinda fun to hear about that.
    Al the best, Gee

Morning,
    Glad to help. :) The Capstone... just in the beginning stages... the team has been assigned. So far, only three of us... so.. it will be more work as t there is typically a fourth member. Fingers crossed we get another person. It's going to be a considerable amount of work, we have five tasks and the CapSim to complete. One of the tasks requires you to identify a "real world" business problem at your work and provide a solution... with the permission of your company. We have a presentation to work on as well. It's going to be a very busy six weeks. I'll keep you posted and good luck with the marketing class.

Hatch
  • Options
    10. IT Strategic Solutions MMT2-- complete
    11. MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone - C218 in progress....

We just finished the Capstone competition rounds... for the Capsim... our team scored a 93% overall. Now to wrap up a few more assignments and this journey will come to an end. GOOD TIMES! :)

Hatch
  • Options
    Shad034Shad034 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hatch,

Congrats on finishing things up! I'm working through the same program myself and I stumbled upon this thread while looking for advice on some of the classes. Currently in C212 marketing and not enjoying that one at all. Strangely, I breezed right through Global Econ, which I'm told is usually the bear of the 2nd term. Guess I'm better at the learn/regurgitate tests than the paper writing. Anyways, would love to send you a PM, but to new to do so I believe. So would you mind PMing me? I'd like to take a look at your papers for the program so I can get an idea of what they are looking for. The rubrics for some of these classes leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Shad034 wrote: »
    Hatch,

Congrats on finishing things up! I'm working through the same program myself and I stumbled upon this thread while looking for advice on some of the classes. Currently in C212 marketing and not enjoying that one at all. Strangely, I breezed right through Global Econ, which I'm told is usually the bear of the 2nd term. Guess I'm better at the learn/regurgitate tests than the paper writing. Anyways, would love to send you a PM, but to new to do so I believe. So would you mind PMing me? I'd like to take a look at your papers for the program so I can get an idea of what they are looking for. The rubrics for some of these classes leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks in advance!

Many thanks...

Hatch
  • Options
    Shad034Shad034 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Hatch! It always nice to see what the actual paper should look like, the rubrics always sound more complicated than what they are actually looking for. Easy to over think it.
  • Options
    CVSee_USCVSee_US Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hatch, many congratulations... must be great feeling
    Can you PM me I would like to know more about MBA IT Mgmt (ie type of course/exam/paper)
  • Options
    CVSee_US wrote: »
    Hi Hatch, many congratulations... must be great feeling
    Can you PM me I would like to know more about MBA IT Mgmt (ie type of course/exam/paper)

Many thanks. :) It does feel great to have completed the program. What questions do you have? :)

Hatch
  • Options
    CVSee_USCVSee_US Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IT Project Management - what kind of course is this?

Also if possible can you share which class is Exam and which one is paper or Both exam and paper.

1. Managing Organizations and Leading People - C200
    2. IT Project Management - MGT2
    3. Managing Human Capital - C202
    4. Marketing - C212
    5. Global Economics for Managers - C211
    6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213
    Data Driven Decision Making C207

• Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks OP for posting this and sharing. Congratulations on completing the BS and MBA! Quite the accomplishments, and inspiring.

I'm currently researching WGU's website for a Master's. I'm not sure whether to pursue the more technical or management path. I have a Bachelor's but not in IT. However, I've been in the IT field (tier 1 and 2 support) for 10 years.

OP/Everyone,
    What was your background?
    Why did you pursue the MBA?
    What do you want to do later?
  • Options
    CVSee_US wrote: »
    IT Project Management - what kind of course is this?

Also if possible can you share which class is Exam and which one is paper or Both exam and paper.

1. Managing Organizations and Leading People - C200
    2. IT Project Management - MGT2
    3. Managing Human Capital - C202
    4. Marketing - C212
    5. Global Economics for Managers - C211
    6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213
    Data Driven Decision Making C207

1. Managing Organizations and Leading People - C200 | Performance
    2. IT Project Management - MGT2 | Performance
    3. Managing Human Capital - C202 | Objective
    4. Marketing - C212 | Performance
    5. Global Economics for Managers - C211 | Objective
    6. Accounting for Decision Makers - C213 | Objective
    7. Financial Management - C214 | Objective
    8. Ethical Leadership - C206 | Performance (recently from P&O to P only)
    9. Data Driven Decision Making C207 | Performance & Objective
    10. IT Strategic Solutions MMT2 | Performance
    11. MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone - C218 | Performance (group project as well as solo)