Options

WGU MBA: IT Management Progress Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I want to know what happens after you graduate. are you currently in management?
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I want to know what happens after you graduate. are you currently in management?

Can't speak for Hatch but I'm not in management yet. Checking the job listings for senior positions in my area, I see almost all of them asking for some kind of graduate degree for listed for the ideal candidate.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »

I am not... but... I have several applications in the wind... working on interviews. The positions I'm applying for I would not have even made it past the HR screening process without the grad degree. My current manager is also helping with networking within the company and I'm taking on larger projects. I believe this is based on me putting forth the effort to pursue and complete the MBA. Will it pay off? :) With a little bit of luck and hard work... I would like to think so.

Hatch
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Panther wrote: »
    Thanks OP for posting this and sharing. Congratulations on completing the BS and MBA! Quite the accomplishments, and inspiring.

I'm currently researching WGU's website for a Master's. I'm not sure whether to pursue the more technical or management path. I have a Bachelor's but not in IT. However, I've been in the IT field (tier 1 and 2 support) for 10 years.

OP/Everyone,
    What was your background?
    Why did you pursue the MBA?
    What do you want to do later?

Thank you :)

What was your background? Retired Air Force -- I made the switch from a construction background to IT. I did not have a degree prior to starting the IT path. I think one of my previous gen ed classes transferred and that was about it. Thanks to the GI Bill.... I was able to attend school full time. I knocked out a few AAS degrees---CCNA--- and the BS ITM degree in 2 years. It was a ton of work... but... I'm older and the clock is ticking. LOL

Why did you pursue the MBA? My BS ITM degree aligned with the WGU MBA ITM program and I felt this was a great way to fortify what I had worked on and learned going through the undergrad program. I wasn't able to knock this one out as fast as I would have liked...but... I was/am working full time and going to school full time...I finished and that's what counts... right? :) I went after the degree because the information was still somewhat fresh from the BS ITM and very few of the individuals I work with have graduate degrees (this isn't a knock against them)... I figured this would help separate me from the pack so to speak. Plus... the coursework was challenging and relevant IMO. Also, if I decide to cut ties with IT and go a different direction, the MBA is somewhat universal, versus having a MS focused on networking or whatever. So... for these reasons I went this direction.

What do you want to do later? I'm working towards the PM path at the moment... will see how things play out. I'm also considering a business operations consulting route within my company. I like technology and I have an interest in business... trying to find a marriage of both. This is where I think (could be wrong) the IT PM route will be interesting.

Hope some of this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hatch