Options

Help finding an IT job with an Associate's degree

mwheel86mwheel86 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm graduated with an associate's degree in Information Technology and am desperately searching for an entry level type job in Evansville Indiana and am looking for someone to help me!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What are you doing to help yourself? How's your resume?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mention you know something about printers, lol. Seriously though, I get more calls for entry level positions simply because I have printers in my resume. Thats all the ask about.
  • Options
    My resume is up to date and I have posted it on sites such as Monster, Indeed, and Dice and still no luck. I realize most companies are hiring people with bachelor's degree but there has to be somewhere hiring people with an associate's degree.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't mind you could post your resume so we can take a look, perhaps give you some pointers, do you have any certifications? Such as A+?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Companies are looking for a degree. Trust me just because you have an associates you should be applying to the same ones that want a bachelor's.

Which brings me to this question. Based on what you've written so far have you applied to any help desk jobs or did you just post your resume online and are hoping they come to you?
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about Best Buy Geek Squad?
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    No I don't have an A+ certification yet and yes I tried to post my resume but I got an error that said it was an invalid file it's in .doc format
  • Options
    I have applied to help desk jobs in my area and still no luck.
  • Options
    Is there a way to post .doc document up here so you can see it?
  • Options
    mwheel86: Can you copy/paste your resume here?
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Mark Wheeler
    mwheeler46@ivytech.edu

OBJECTIVE

Responsible college student seeks part or full-time work to in which my customer service and computer skills will enhance an employer’s business and further my knowledge in the computer and business field.

SUMMARY OF SKILLS

n Computer Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
    n Excellent customer service
    n Ability to work as a member of a team
    n Dependable, punctual, and hardworking

EDUCATION

Ivy Tech Community College, Evansville, Indiana
    Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Technology
    Concentration: Networking
    Graduated: December 2013

EMPLOYMENT

Evansville ARC, Evansville, Indiana Aug 2006 – Present
    Team Member
    n Assemble Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) packages on assembly line
    n Maintain cleanliness of factory

Nail Gallery, Evansville, Indiana Aug 2005 – Jan 2006
    Receptionist
    n Answered phones
    n Scheduled and maintained a record of appointments

Long John Silvers, Evansville, Indiana Nov 2004 – Mar 2005 Server
    n Processed payment transactions on cash register
    n Provided timely and courteous customer service
    n Maintained cleanliness of lobby

COURSES

1. Windows 7 configuration
    2. Security+ class
    3. A+ class
    4. Microsoft Windows Server 2008
  • Options
    Probably should delete your PII (Personal Identifiable Information) icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

1. Change that you graduated - they still think you're in school.

2. Elaborate on your Networking coursework

3. MS Office skills are probably standard/primary skills now.

4. Ever think about volunteering to get some computer experience? It looks like you haven't worked in IT so it's going to be hard to get a chance without A+ or a lil experience.

Good luck!
  • Options
    No I haven't worked in IT before I'm just starting out, and how would you suggest I elaborate on the networking coursework?
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talk about the technologies you've worked with, some of the more advanced networking topics you did for assignments. You're looking to spice out the Networking concentration. Tell people about it.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Okay thank you I work on that tonight and may post an updated resume up here to get a few more pointers.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Clear your personal data off your resume and post as a .doc or .pdf so people can see style and format.

From what you posted above expand out on education more. I believe there is a format for recent grads that talks a lot on technologies learned.

Jobs talk about duties and accomplishments. Even if not IT related it doesnt mean you should be so brief. Tell me about you and what you've done.

Last, find a cert and get to the books. You need to get some kind of cert under your belt but keep applying in the mean time. Certs to me, when I hire people, doesn't tell me you have the skills but more of the lines of you took the time to study the material to further yourself and took a certification to prove it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So my question is that you graduated 2 years ago, so why are you just now looking for IT work?

I'd also recommend grabbing a cert. A+ is fairly standard if you can afford it. N+ or a MCP for Windows 7 would be good too and are a little cheaper.
  • Options
    mwheel86 wrote: »
    I realize most companies are hiring people with bachelor's degree but there has to be somewhere hiring people with an associate's degree.

There may be positions for people with an associates and experience but it's hard since most of the available IT positions aren't entry-level. How come you haven't gone for your bachelors in the two years since you picked up your associates?

Honestly man - have you looked at Geek Squad? It's a fast way to get some help desk experience.

Does your school have a career center or anything like that?

Also, look at it this way (no disrespect): If you were the hiring manager - what would you do if you saw your resume?

If you're honest with yourself, you'd probably say they'd probably not give it a 2nd glance. You need to have things on there that scream out 'PICK ME' from the hundreds/thousands of job seekers that have better credentials than you. They may only be picking just one person...

Good luck!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have an AA degree and alot of certs. I have also learned alot along the way in each job I have been in. I have worn many hats, so alot of jobs ask for BA degree, but also state 5 or 10 years experience will be considered.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I've been looking for IT work since I graduated and I've had interviews but this is the first time I've decided to go to an online forum and ask for help.
  • Options
    I haven't gone for my bachelor's degree yet mostly because I can't afford to right now.
  • Options
    mwheel86 wrote: »
    I haven't gone for my bachelor's degree yet mostly because I can't afford to right now.

Yeah - money is a big issue for school nowadays for most people (including myself). Have you looked into WGU? It's competency-based and all online - a lot of us are attending from this forum and it's quite a bit cheaper than other schools. Check it out...
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Probably should delete your PII (Personal Identifiable Information) icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

<SNIP!>

2. Elaborate on your Networking coursework

Yes, to both these.

One place to start for elaborating your Networking skills is the course outcomes: https://www.ivytech.edu/programs-a-z/12676.html#network (I am assuming it's largely the same).

Also, read lots of job listings (even interstate ones) and get a sense of what they are looking for, what the buzzwords are, and start including that in your resume. Here's a listing for a Junior Network Engineer: Junior Network Engineer in US-IL-Chicago

If you look at their responsibilities section, some match up with the course objectives. This is the stuff you want on your resume.

Also notice under Skills/Experience, they have Cisco and MS certifications. If you see that often enough on job listings, it suggests that's a good thing to get. A basic Windows client exam will get you an MCP certification, which is a good start. The CCNA Route and Switch might be achievable with some revision.

Another thing to consider, that the ideal nexus between IT and Customer Service is HelpDesk. HelpDesk tends towards client OS support. If you got an A+ or MCP, that could get your foot in the door. Build some experience, and look for more Network centric roles.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also if you can't afford a Bachelor's but are interested look into WGU along with your FASFA. The payment becomes close to if not all paid for. It's good for a lot more certifications.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    No I haven't looked into WGU yet but I will definitely check them out thanks!
  • Options
    I have specifically looked for helpdesk jobs on monster.com and indeed.com and have only had one interview a few months back and I will certainly look into the basic Windows client exam for the MCP certification. Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry mwheel86, mine is a bit long. You're getting great advice here, and below is my lengthy "two cents". Don't take it as criticism at all, as you've got a great start. A career in IT is the way to go, and we all want to see you succeed! A couple people mention using "buzzwords", and a lot of my description below elaborates on that. Remember that some HR personnel who know nothing of IT are looking for resume buzzwords that some IT manager told them.

Emphasize your "Education" section first in your resume. To me, the layout of your Education section looks fine, although I'd be tempted to remove the "Graduated" line with your graduation date. It's a bit of a debate on whether having that date there is a problem, or not, however, the longer you go without gaining employment in an entry-level IT job the more that date on your resume's says to an HR employee "Why has this guy been done with school for two years, and still is looking for an IT job?" I'm not saying you lie, because at the interview if they ask you can fill in that blank, but I think your graduation date is better left off at this point. Make sure as you get certifications - which you should most certainly get crack-a-lacking and get those done - in a "Certifications" section right after the "Education" information. Certifications are "buzzwords" an HR person will look for.

I'd put "Employment" after "Education" and "Certification" sections. I elaborate on the "Employment" section some more below.

I would put a "Summary of Skills" section at the bottom of your resume'. I agree with others that you could elaborate on your Network or Application or support classes a bit more in that section. I will tell you that instead of "A+ Class" I'd use statements more like "Client workstation software and hardware support", or "Laserjet printer break/fix", or "Windows 7, 8, and 10 installation and troubleshooting" If you have those types of statements under a section called something like "Courses and Skills", people will get that you've had some training in such without simply saying "such and such class". Statements like I've used give a hint that you know the "buzz words" and terminology at a basic level at least. And, to me anyway, stating that you've had an "A+ class" holds little water....However, when you get to the point you have completed an A+, N+, or Windows certification is very meaningful in that "Certification" section.

To me you need to jazz up the "Employment" section with fancy more fancy buzzwords. Not lie, and that's not what I'm saying. Rather use the professional, multisyllabic words that resume reviewers get all excited about. For example, you restaurant experience statement about "lobby cleanliness" make it sound more important "Maintained sanitary standards within the facility." For your restaurant customer service use something like "Provided customer service to assure a high level of satisfaction." I'd leave the comment out about the cash register transactions. On that first job a couple lines to explain what you did is fine because, after all that was a starter job. As you get to your more current job you should probably have a few lines giving some idea of what you do. Again, start each line where you elaborate your job experiences with action type words, and if it's your current job use present tense. So use things like "Maintain cleanliness and operation of assembly line equipment", "Support daily operations of the team to package 10,000 MRE units daily" (whatever the daily production aims are). If you help train new employees, use a statement like "Mentor and train new employees in manufacturing processes and technology." You know what you do day to day, so try to balance getting super specific and also use action type words that also are present in IT: "support", "train", "service", "technical". Your current job may not be IT, but you will find that some basic work skills follow whether your in IT or on an assembly line. You need your resume to look like you understand the connection.

GET CERTIFIED. Honestly, with your AAS training, you should be able to get a couple A+ specific books, read, review, do practice tests, and get hands on wherever possible, and knock the tests out in a couple months or so. Then, move on to Network+, and those two should give you some good tools to go next to Microsoft desktop OS certs. NEVER stop learning whether it's continuing to a Bachelor's or continually certifying.

Keep applying to entry level IT jobs. As others suggested what about a part-time job at Best Buy? It's the holiday rush, so getting your foot in the door with some seasonal work may be an idea. Sure you may cashier or stock at first, but perhaps get a geek job later. What about opportunities to work a few hours a week with IT support at your current employer? We had one guy on the manufacturing floor at one company I worked with where the CIO allowed a shop worker to work a few hours a week with the desktop team as he was going to school for it while he worked in the paint shop. Eventually, they hired him in an entry level helpdesk position, and two years later he's moved onto some SAP support job in the company. Why did this guy get that opportunity? Because he asked a manager for the chance, and they arranged it.

My entry level IT job took a couple years for me to get, and I had a BA and a couple AAS degrees in Computer Science. However, I was hired by my first boss (he told me later) because he saw I could do the communication and customer service side of a helpdesk job. He told me he could teach me the techie stuff, but customer service is much more difficult. So, don't assume your "green" experience would keep you from getting that chance. And keep learning. Like most folks on here, I've always continued with classes, self-study, and certifications to show i continually am learning, and it has made for a great career.
  • Options
    Thank you ThePawofRizzo your post was very informative and I'm fixing my resume right now. I will most likely post the updated resume on here to get more feedback, and thank you to everyone else who responded to my post the help is appreciated.
  • Options
    Mark Wheeler

Evansville, IN 47715 mwheeler46@ivytech.edu

OBJECTIVE

Responsible college student seeks part or full-time work to in which my customer service and computer skills will enhance an employer’s business and further my knowledge in the computer and business field.

EDUCATION

Ivy Tech Community College, Evansville, Indiana
    Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Technology
    Concentration: Networking
    Graduated: May 2014

EMPLOYMENT

Evansville ARC, Evansville, Indiana Aug 2006 – Present
    Team Member
    n "Support daily operations of the team to package 80,000 MRE units daily
    n Maintain cleanliness of factory and operation of assembly line equipment
    n Mentor and train new employees in manufacturing processes and technology.

Nail Gallery, Evansville, Indiana Aug 2005 – Jan 2006
    Receptionist
    n Took phone calls and provided customer service to assure a high level of satisfaction
    n Scheduled and maintained a record of appointments

Long John Silvers, Evansville, Indiana Nov 2004 – Mar 2005 Server
    n Provided customer service to assure a high level of satisfaction
    n Maintained sanitary standards within the facility.

SUMMARY OF SKILLS

n Computer Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
    n Excellent customer service
    n Ability to work as a member of a team
    n Dependable, punctual, and hardworking

COURSES

1. Windows 7 configuration: worked on Windows 7 installation and troubleshooting
    2. Security+ class: studied social engineering attacks and cryptography
    3. A+ class: worked on Client workstation software and hardware support, installing and configuring impact, laser, and inkjet printers
    4. Microsoft Windows Server 2008: configuring and managing Windows Server 2008
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to see my updated resume and if there's anything I could do to improve it?