Options

Help finding an IT job with an Associate's degree

2»

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of the Objective statement
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mwheel86mwheel86 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Someone had told me to include the objective as part of the resume but I will remove it if it isn't necessary
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remove objective and replace it with summary. summarize who you are and what you bring to the table. Many people wont read past the top few lines so that should be good.

Also in your jobs you need to elaborate more
    Evansville ARC, Evansville, Indiana Aug 2006 – Present
    Team Member
    n "Support daily operations of the team to package 80,000 MRE units daily (is this alot, did you contribute to the company making more money as a result? Elaborate why this is important and why an employer would care.)
    n Maintain cleanliness of factory and operation of assembly line equipment (Why is this relevant to the positions you are applying?)
    n Mentor and train new employees in manufacturing processes and technology. (OK now we are getting somewhere. How many employees? Did these processes make the organization more efficient? What type of technology? Why should a perspective employer care about this?)

Also, ideally for each job you should have a short sentence or three summarizing the position. Then, the bullets are to highlight special achievements or ways you excelled.

Also i would beef up your skills section and move it to the top and bring education to the bottom. Your telling me Microsoft office is the only software you are familiar with? Beef that up. Add the operating systems you are familair with the software you have experience with, any hardware, networking, etc.

Try making some of these changes and report back.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should have some type of summary that allows for potential hiring managers/HR folks to quickly get an idea of what you have to offer. As many will tell you, using the "objective" heading as a place to clarify your intent to obtain employment is redundant and wasteful of the readers time (of course you want full/part time employment,that's why you are sending in the resume in the first place). Having some type of "summary" section used to showcase your most predominant skills that will benefit your potential employer is a better way to go.

Maybe rewrite your objective into a summary:
    Responsible, dependable, and hardworking Individual with the ability to complete assigned tasks to fulfil expectations. Attention to detail allows adhering to the highest customer service and quality standards, which will continue to be an asset while using several areas of Information Technology to blah blah blah.

If we both were in an elevator and you had 10 floors to tell me why I should hire you, what would you say? Remember, I don't care about what you want, I want to know how you can help me solve my problems.

Good Luck
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”