Options

Vcap5-dca

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    VMware Education Services, I guess when they deployed there VCE colo they got 100 hours of VMware/EMC training for 5 years. :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Deathmage wrote: »
    VMware Education Services, I guess when they deployed there VCE colo they got 100 hours of VMware/EMC training for 5 years. :)

Gotta pay for the Z28, right? Bling bling :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Gotta pay for the Z28, right? Bling bling :P

it's paid off, saving up for the fiances WRX, her B-Day is in August. icon_smile.gif - I don't just have income from IT, I resell Ambient Energy. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    That's awesome. Building data centers, handing out /24 subnets, spanning your FC network, and being a master of MLM. Making the big bucks.

Are you spanning native FC?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    That's awesome. Building data centers, handing out /24 subnets, spanning your FC network, and being a master of MLM. Making the big bucks.

Are you spanning native FC?

I inherited this network, don't like the way it's designed. I actually won't be keeping it this way, from past experience, It needs better structuring.

I'm coming onboard as the VMware and EMC guy, but the network side is making me shake my head a bit just with the design.

It should be fun, looking forward to it. icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Heh, a CCENT shaking his head at network design? I assume you've got years of pure network experience then?
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Heh, a CCENT shaking his head at network design? I assume you've got years of pure network experience then?

Since 2005, you don't need to be Cisco certified to be a networking person, took the CCNA course in college and just did IT since then, but it has since expired, hence the renewed track. :)

Certifications shouldn't define a person, but having the certification, to me, doesn't prove anything one way or another.

You can be a CCIE from a brain **** and still have a CCNA know more, so it's all relative. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »

I'm sure most CCENT's would shake their head at my network designs.
  • Options
    I inherited this network, don't like the way it's designed. I actually won't be keeping it this way, from past experience, It needs better structuring.

I'm coming onboard as the VMware and EMC guy, but the network side is making me shake my head a bit just with the design.

It should be fun, looking forward to it. icon_biggrin.gif

Are the network guys going to let the virtualization and storage guy change their network?
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can be a CCIE from a brain ****

No-- maybe the written but that doesn't give you the credential in question. Only an IT generalist would say something like that.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    Heh... I love how someone's thread about thinking of going VMware turns into Deathmage talking about how amazing his life is and how impressive it is that he gets to play with a /16 of /24's for 40+ sites or how he gets to play with 1GB/10GB, dell chassis, UCS chassis, etc. I guess that's impressive these days.

At this point I'm convince reality is either one of two things:

1 - He's either a trolololol looking for attention and if that's the case, well... it's a small industry, dude. Everyone loves someone who's willing to work their way up and be humble but I don't know too many people who love someone who thinks they know everything.

2 - He's a fish in a really really really small pond and he hasn't figured out that data centers that run old Dell at the access layer and 3750X as the core isn't really hot shite. Or 6 subnets per site isn't really ridiculous depending on the design (I can easily a 2 floor building reasonably having 6 subnets - Each floor having 1 for voice, 1 for data and 1 for utility or something else). I feel like I'm listening to Captain Buzzword when he's posting. One of these days very soon, he's going to hear about "hyperconverged" and fall over his chair. If this is the case, I wish him the best and hope he gets into a VAR or something that gives him a bit more exposure.

Either way, I think there are some "honesty" problems and I don't wish the guy ill but man... hope he actually tries to learn something from this forum.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Iristheangel again."
  • Options
    he hasn't figured out that data centers that run old Dell at the access layer and 3750X as the core isn't really hot shite.

My datacenter core switch:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC9a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 13-Jan-04 11:54 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0034E454

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Core_Switch uptime is 6 years, 19 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 42 minutes
  • Options
    I hope that I am not making a mistake in my lab by using the latest version of each product that is covered on the this VCAP exam.
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    I hope that I am not making a mistake in my lab by using the latest version of each product that is covered on the this VCAP exam.

everyone environment is different, no datacenter is alike, what might be top-of-the-notch for one person may not be for others. I like being humbled with what I work with and make the most of it. :)

When's your VCAP exam, DPG?
  • Options
    Heh... I love how someone's thread about thinking of going VMware turns into Deathmage talking about how amazing his life is and how impressive it is that he gets to play with a /16 of /24's for 40+ sites or how he gets to play with 1GB/10GB, dell chassis, UCS chassis, etc. I guess that's impressive these days.

At this point I'm convince reality is either one of two things:

1 - He's either a trolololol looking for attention and if that's the case, well... it's a small industry, dude. Everyone loves someone who's willing to work their way up and be humble but I don't know too many people who love someone who thinks they know everything.

2 - He's a fish in a really really really small pond and he hasn't figured out that data centers that run old Dell at the access layer and 3750X as the core isn't really hot shite. Or 6 subnets per site isn't really ridiculous depending on the design (I can easily a 2 floor building reasonably having 6 subnets - Each floor having 1 for voice, 1 for data and 1 for utility or something else). I feel like I'm listening to Captain Buzzword when he's posting. One of these days very soon, he's going to hear about "hyperconverged" and fall over his chair. If this is the case, I wish him the best and hope he gets into a VAR or something that gives him a bit more exposure.

Either way, I think there are some "honesty" problems and I don't wish the guy ill but man... hope he actually tries to learn something from this forum.

If I come across as knowing everything then your impression of me is misunderstood, I merely like saying what I'm working with. I like knowing and learning but I'm humbled with the fact I'll never know everything.

As for things I post about what I'm doing, there top-notch for me, not for everyone and I accept that, others should be accepting as-well. :)

What everyone needs to know is that everyone's take on what is the best is left for there own interpretation, I'll never say I'm an expert at anything. But having a constructive conversation, I'm all ears for that, but let me grab the popcorn first. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow this thread's turned into the other Deathmage thread that got deleted. Let's stick with the topic - the VCAP5-DCA.

So you reckon your ready mate? Biggest advice I can give now that your test's so close:

- Be as quick as you can. DON'T get bogged down by a task. KEEP MOVING!
    - It doesn't matter how you arrive at the task's completion - PowerCLI/GUI
    - Since the time pressure's so great, I suggest you write down the question numbers on your scrap paper and keep marking them off as you go. Best way to keep track of your progress as it's so easy to panic. I did this and it served me well
    - Say you dont do things like create claimrules everyday at your job, right - memorize the page number of the pdf document (you get all the official guides there) it appears in so if you get a question about claimrules you know where to go instantly. Scrolling through the pdf's is MIND-NUMBINGLY slow so..
    - If a task does not ask you to do something, dont do it as another task down the track may ask you to do it. For example, dont delete a VM's disk as a task may later ask you to say extend the disk or something. Hope you get the drift? I obviously cant give the real question away
    - Did I say be quick? Lightening quick, that is!

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is my plan so far:

1. Go through each task and take notes
    2. Complete the tasks which I have the most confidence in and appear to be independent from others
    3. Complete the tasks that appear to have some order in which they must attempted
    4. Complete the rest of the tasks that I am unsure about being careful not to break anything
    5. ?
    6. PROFIT

If I come even close to using the full 3 hours it will probably be a failure. I have never run out of time while taking any type of exam.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The objective is to pass the exam, not answer every question.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is my plan so far:

1. Go through each task and take notes
    2. Complete the tasks which I have the most confidence in and appear to be independent from others
    3. Complete the tasks that appear to have some order in which they must attempted
    4. Complete the rest of the tasks that I am unsure about being careful not to break anything
    5. ?
    6. PROFIT

If I come even close to using the full 3 hours it will probably be a failure. I have never run out of time while taking any type of exam.

I like #6 the best :)

Sounds like a great plan. Rooting for ya
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    The objective is to pass the exam, not answer every question.

I sure didn't feel that way after passing my first IT certification exam (Check Point CCSA). I scored a 74 with 70 being the passing score. I was bummed out when I told my manager who coincidentally had been involved with writing the exam. He proceeded to explain that the exam purposely had some crazy questions to try and weed out the dumpers. He also stressed that in Check Point's eyes I had met their requirements and that my score did not matter be it a 70 or 100.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    You can be a CCIE from a brain **** and still have a CCNA know more, so it's all relative.

I don't think many people would have a chance passing from a brain **** without knowing anything or with a gap that big. Most of the tests these days are using pools of 100s of questions, so it is an enormous amount to memorise. The CCIE lab would be a completely other thing all together.

More generally, I think VMware have got a good balance for keeping the dumpers out - requiring a course before giving you a VCP (NV track notwithstanding) and then the heavily practical exams for VCAP/VCIX, and the process for VCDX is something else entirely - it would be hilarious seeing someone try to bluff their way through that.

I'm a little disappointed that they are retiring the VCAP5. I bought a book and have a lab ready to roll to study, but haven't been able to squeeze in the time for study in between other things. It seems unlikely to make it before June - unless I could cover all the objective in one weekend. I am assuming that HOL is still the go to for learning, and labbing for 'perfecting'.

Looking at the VCAP6 track, it's a little confusing where to start from VCP5. It seems like I will need to get VCP6 before attempting VCAP6 - which is probably fair enough. I was thinking of doing the NV track after I complete CCNP...

Any ideas from anyone on the difference with the VCAP6 track? Is it just updated material, or have the objectives changed substantially. Or put another way, if I studied from the VCAP5 materials but just learnt how to do the same things on 6, would that be enough?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Any ideas from anyone on the difference with the VCAP6 track? Is it just updated material, or have the objectives changed substantially. Or put another way, if I studied from the VCAP5 materials but just learnt how to do the same things on 6, would that be enough?

Auto deploy is back again.
    Added data protection, VSAN, SSO, PSC and content libraries.
  • Options
    I agree, it's one of my hardest choices lately, VCIX or VCAP.
  • Options
    I agree, it's one of my hardest choices lately, VCIX or VCAP.

You can't get the VCIX in DCV without the VCAP's.
  • Options
    You can't get the VCIX in DCV without the VCAP's.

Indeed, my understanding was VCIX replaces VCAP in 6.0, so I need to have either a VCAP5 or a VCP6 in order for me to take the VCIX, is that more accurate? icon_study.gif
  • Options
    VCAP5-DCA + VCAP6-DCV Design = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP5-DCD + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP6-DCV Design + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV
  • Options
    VCAP5-DCA + VCAP6-DCV Design = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP5-DCD + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP6-DCV Design + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

Indeed, I've always known it's two exams. Though you meant something else. :)
  • Options
    Are you going to try and squeeze in the VCAP5-DCA before it is retired?
  • Options
    Are you going to try and squeeze in the VCAP5-DCA before it is retired?

I'm tossed actually. I wanted to go for it but then I've been studying for the VCP6, but with things going on with my personal life I'm finding I don't have the focused time to spend whole weekend studying. So I'm taking the VCP6 since my employer is now at the 5.5/6.0 cliff.

It seems more and more companies are right on that cliff off EOL for 5.5 and pushing into 6.0, but so many employers right now still have VMware guys with VCP4 and 5 from like 2013 with 5.1. They all want VCP6.

So I took the VCP6 route, but what more troubling is this mystical release date of VCIX, so I'm perplexed now.

I'm actually probably ready for the VCP6 too, I just keep watching Pluralsight videos and just constantly rescheduling the exam. I find a video and I'm like "am I sure I know this really well" and then I postpone the the exam. But this new employer will pay for the exam so that's pretty neat. icon_smile.gif