Options

Vcap5-dca

13»

Comments

• Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How was the Optimize and Scale class? I might attend later this year.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    DPG wrote: »

I literally felt like it was a waste of time, to be honest. I learned more just from common sense stuff and tinkering with vCenter deployment and configuration. it's really meant for people that just don't get to deploy VMware from the ground up. I've done that twice in production and countless times in lab, so it really not much I didn't know already, it's just for a much larger scale of thinking. But I guess for some it came be useful.

Glad I didn't shell out the cost of it.
  • Options
    Hopefully your employer didn't pay much if it was a useless class(perhaps they had some learning credits?). Was it delivered on-site or did they send you to a training center?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

It bored me to tears. Not worth it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Hopefully your employer didn't pay much if it was a useless class(perhaps they had some learning credits?). Was it delivered on-site or did they send you to a training center?

it was a on-demand class, they had training credits for the year.

Some people learned stuff, I learned nothing much.

If your going to the VCAP, you won't be impressed.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Save the money and buy a month of pluralsight/see if the company will spring for it. The Optimize and Scale class there is great. It's designed to the DCA blueprint. It's designed for 5.0 but there are is only one new domain (replication).

He pushes command line and VMA. Heed his wisdom with that.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think that any of the VMware courses are geared solely towards passing Certifications, even the ICM course is not enough to pass the VCP exam alone.

Aside from doing the ICM course for VCP, I've done the VMware View Design course and even then, a lot of information was missing or perhaps simply not intended for the course.

I think the purpose of the training is to give you the base you need to expand on, but it's not enough for passing certifications.
  • Options
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Save the money and buy a month of pluralsight/see if the company will spring for it. The Optimize and Scale class there is great. It's designed to the DCA blueprint. It's designed for 5.0 but there are is only one new domain (replication).

I have a Pluralsight subscription and agree that Jason Nash's course is excellent.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    You could sign up as a Visual Studio developer (it is free) which gives 6 months access to Pluralsight training courses (plus a load of other stuff like free Azure credit).
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/p...ntials-vs.aspx

As far as I can see there are no obligations for doing this.
    thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    I have been humbled but somehow I passed.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad you did. What almost tripped ya?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I started writing numbers down (1-23) when I first sat down and was at the section with instructions and terms which had a 15 minute timer. The test administrator stormed out of her office and proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that! She said I had to be on the first question before I could write anything down.

I spent about 15 minutes on the first question and then realized I had to hurry things up if I wanted to attempt all 23 of them. About an hour and a half was gone after my first run through and I had only completed 8 questions icon_eek.gif. I skipped around some more for another hour and knocked out 5 more. With 30 minutes to go I was almost sure I would fail. I then picked out 3 more questions and manged to complete them with 5 minutes to go. I closed everything out and ended the exam before the timer expired.

The exam was very fair and I only had one question that didn't make any sense ( some typo's maybe?). I didn't touch 5 questions at all. I believe what saved me was the fact that the questions that I did complete had more tasks than some of those that weren't completed. Overall I enjoyed the experience and definitely have to give props to those at VMware who developed this exam.
  • Options
    Congratulations! That is a fun test, I'm glad you passed it.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started writing numbers down (1-23) when I first sat down and was at the section with instructions and terms which had a 15 minute timer. The test administrator stormed out of her office and proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that! She said I had to be on the first question before I could write anything down.

I spent about 15 minutes on the first question and then realized I had to hurry things up if I wanted to attempt all 23 of them. About an hour and a half was gone after my first run through and I had only completed 8 questions icon_eek.gif. I skipped around some more for another hour and knocked out 5 more. With 30 minutes to go I was almost sure I would fail. I then picked out 3 more questions and manged to complete them with 5 minutes to go. I closed everything out and ended the exam before the timer expired.

The exam was very fair and I only had one question that didn't make any sense ( some typo's maybe?). I didn't touch 5 questions at all. I believe what saved me was the fact that the questions that I did complete had more tasks than some of those that weren't completed. Overall I enjoyed the experience and definitely have to give props to those at VMware who developed this exam.

Congratulations on the pass.

From my recollection I had a similar experience. I skipped around and wound up not even starting on at least 5 of the items, but did well enough on the rest to pass.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As stated before, the goal is to pass the exam. It doesn't matter if you didn't attempt all of them. Congrats on the pass.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    How long does it take for the certification portal to update? I want to order some VCAP shirts to wear to lunch just in case there are some bank owners in my vicinity.
  • Options
    I set my test on March 3rd and the "certification date" on my certificate is March 7th so it took me about 2 business days.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long does it take for the certification portal to update? I want to order some VCAP shirts to wear to lunch just in case there are some bank owners in my vicinity.

Probably won't know what's a VCAP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    It looks like there may be a public beta of the VCAP6-DCV Deploy exam coming soon. Also, more time available for those that still want to take the version 5 lab.

VCAP5 Exam Retirements Suspended
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    That is awesome that they are keeping the V5 ones alive longer. I scheduled the DCA on last day June 2nd but might move it now to get more prepared. Also nice to be able to get the DCD in too. icon_cheers.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    Is there any idea when the beta will be available for scheduling?
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□

To take this class, do you recommend the Plus or Standard? I guess the question is, does it have exercise files so it requires Plus? I might sign up for one month for this class.
  • Options
    Standard is fine. There aren't any exercise files. You only get the slides to download so it's totally not worth plus.

If you want to get the most out of the class have a 5.5 vCenter server, at least one host, the vMA, and powercli installed. You could do this with fusion, workstation, or search Autolab out and use their hosted solution. Also download the 5.5 study sheet from The VCAP-DCA 5 Study Sheet - Wahl Network and print it out. Check it off as you watch videos, read, lab, etc.
  • Options
    Passed my VCAP55-DCA test today. Woohoo

Big thanks to Josh Andrews his mock test and Paul Grevnick's study guides helped.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    Congratulations CChilderhouse! Welcome to the club. The stuff from the DCA will help you in a DCD as long as you're strong on the concepts behind the clicks.
  • Options
    Congratulations CChilderhouse! Welcome to the club. The stuff from the DCA will help you in a DCD as long as you're strong on the concepts behind the clicks.

Thanks. Yeah I am starting to study for the DCD now and hope to get it schedule prior to retirement. Then on to Version 6 :)
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish I could convince some of my customers to implement DMVPN. Much easier than managing dozens of tunnels per site.

I re-designed out DMVPN environment in my spare time at work. It's not actually done right currently in the sense that all of the branch offices really go through the DMVPN hub to talk to other branch offices (this is going to be fixed when I implement the changes). This really came about because it was mentioned while I was on the ROUTE portion of the CCNP, but it was beyond the scope of the book but I had to dig deeper because I knew we were not doing it the best way. It doesn't really solve any problems, but in the process I am moving us to certificate based authentication. I learned a bunch of stuff like VRF, ZBF, etc and hope to implement it soon. Good resume builder.

But really, I have to ask - there has to be a situation where DMVPN is actually extremely useful. In our case, the backup circuits are just broadband circuits with this DMVPN stuff. So, they do not even get used usually (we would like to do iWan but I do not see it happening this year). So really, all sites connect back to HQ through an MPLS connection. But even if they did not, HQ is where most servers are stored + proxy + everything else. Internal phone calls benefit, and users visiting a branch can potentially download files from their home branch faster, but really this was all about learning and resume building for me. Just looking for a solid real world case where it's absolutely the way to go.