Options

Hiring managers, what was the funniest submission you have seen?

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
One of our HR managers posted a junior Java developer role and a guy applied thinking it was a Starbucks barista job. I face palmed so hard. icon_neutral.gif
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The funniest one I ever got was a really old looking lady who sent a glamour shots with a cigarette in her mouth. To top it off she was a realtor and her resume read like a real estate listing. I used it as an example of what you do not do when you send a resume.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    security job. guy's resume listed in detail every job he'd ever had and full details of each. highlight was when he was a lifeguard in high school and a construction traffic "stop" or "go" guy after college. what that had to do with security i have no idea
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Strangest one i've seen was a guy submitted an application for a Helpdesk/ junior networking position we had advertised but had no experience in IT whatsoever. He listed that he was a gardener and mowed lawn and trim flowers for a living but wanted to get into IT. We called him in just to have a laugh. In the end, he was such a nice guy that we ended up offering him the Job as it seemed like he could be a fast learner and we admired his desperation. I guess he was the one that the end of the day who had the last laugh. also, he enhanced our processes so much that he was promoted to Senior network admin within 6 months. This Dude is really a success story. One thing i learned from this experience was always be open minded hence i'm not big on asking technical questions on interviews its more of a personality thing for me.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Strangest one i've seen was a guy submitted an application for a Helpdesk/ junior networking position we had advertised but had no experience in IT whatsoever. He listed that he was a gardener and mowed lawn and trim flowers for a living but wanted to get into IT. We called him in just to have a laugh. In the end, he was such a nice guy that we ended up offering him the Job as it seemed like he could be a fast learner and we admired his desperation. I guess he was the one that the end of the day who had the last laugh. also, he enhanced our processes so much that he was promoted to Senior network admin within 6 months. This Dude is really a success story. One thing i learned from this experience was always be open minded hence i'm not big on asking technical questions on interviews its more of a personality thing for me.

This is an awesome story thanks for sharing it!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Years ago I remember pulling a resume from the fax machine that looked like a grocery shopping list. One liner at the top with the guy's info and a number of bullets listing jobs and companies, all for janitorial jobs. My educated guess is that it was an older gentleman just spraying resumes to see if anything would stick. I almost called him to help him get a decent resume going.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Years ago I remember pulling a resume from the fax machine that looked like a grocery shopping list. One liner at the top with the guy's info and a number of bullets listing jobs and companies, all for janitorial jobs. My educated guess is that it was an older gentleman just spraying resumes to see if anything would stick. I almost called him to help him get a decent resume going.

maybe he was the same dude we hired :)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No way. That is too funny.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options

That is very cool!
  • Options
    ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□

When you say none at all, how do you mean? No certs? No degree? Never touched a computer? Nice of you to take a chance with him. How did he even get through HR?
  • Options
    ElGato127 wrote: »
    When you say none at all, how do you mean? No certs? No degree? Never touched a computer? Nice of you to take a chance with him. How did he even get through HR?

He had no certs, degree or corporate experience. He had a PC that he claimed he used to play games that was about it. He got through HR because they weren't really screening resumes they were just forwarding anything they received to us. After seeing it come through we just wanted to have a BIG laugh that Friday evening after Pizza but end up pleasantly surprised.another funny thing as well the dude looked like he had just jumped out of bed and showed up for the interview.
  • Options
    ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In that case there is hope for me yet. icon_thumright.gif I was worried that my previous experience in other fields would count against me, despite having transferable skills.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There have been many, but one that I remember was actually in an interview. After asking a candidate about their interest in technology, they went on to say, and I quote: "I have a tablet. I’m not proficient with Windows 8. I do not have a smart phone. I do not read tech journals. I don’t watch tech TV but I have seen the iPod. I have a tablet. I used to set up phones at my last job. I know a lot about cloud computing. I know a little bit about it. I’ve been working on my boat. I can do hardware really well. I did not look at your guys web site. I’ve spent most of my time working on my boat for the last two years"
  • Options
    ElGato127 wrote: »
    In that case there is hope for me yet. icon_thumright.gif I was worried that my previous experience in other fields would count against me, despite having transferable skills.

Yes a lawnmower is very similar to a PC If you can push a mower, you can also control a mouse :)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rsutton wrote: »
    but I have seen the iPod.

lol! If I was interviewing the person and just drank some water before he said that, the water would've been sprayed all over the room! Too funny
  • Options
    CMalon02CMalon02 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□

Wow that really cool glad you gave the guy a chance and it paid off!
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□

I love this story! Really shows how your attitude and personalty can go a long way in finding work!
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□

Damn isn't it a cool story. Now I'm ashamed to share my puny stories, lol
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Years ago we brought in a programmer for an interview at a startup I used to work at. His resume looked reasonable enough, nothing scary. He was so nervous he kept rambling and squeezing his fingers together, he pressed them together so hard they were turning colors, at one point I swore his fingers were going to break.

Later in the interview he moved to torturing a purple pen, he was squeezing and bending it in his lap. The pen broke, he got purple ink all over his hands and the carpet, then he denied that it was him...

Oddly enough, even with explaining it to HR, they chose to hire him anyway just based on his resume. We eventually had to let him go, he had been taking assignments/tickets, marking them complete, hiding a paper copy in a drawer, but never actually doing the work, for months...
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Later in the interview he moved to torturing a purple pen, he was squeezing and bending it in his lap. The pen broke, he got purple ink all over his hands and the carpet, then he denied that it was him...

Wow... I feel awkward for him for just reading about that.
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We were interviewing a help desk candidate a few years ago. We were asking general questions just to see if he had some familiarity with working in an enterprise. A co-worker of my casually asked him what the network was like at his last job. He replied "Oh man, there were wires EVERYWHERE!". And that is all he had to say about it.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    swabbies wrote: »
    We were interviewing a help desk candidate a few years ago. We were asking general questions just to see if he had some familiarity with working in an enterprise. A co-worker of my casually asked him what the network was like at his last job. He replied "Oh man, there were wires EVERYWHERE!". And that is all he had to say about it.
    NO WAY! That is the way to prepare for an interview. Hope he counted the number of wires. LOLicon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't been in a position to hire in IT yet. In the auto field I have a few memorable experiences. One that comes to mind is a guy submitted a resume with substantial experience and with the certs we were looking for, which was quite a bit. The initial phone call went so well that I had him in the back of my mind while interviewing others. When he walked in for the interview, the alcohol scent was strong and he could barely open his eyes. I thought of asking him to leave right there but he was communicating well and maybe had lazy eyes, I figured I'd see what comes of it. The interview was going surprisingly well until about 10 minutes in he passes out, falls off the chair and splits his head open on a concrete floor, the amberlamps were called. A few days later he called explaining what happened, alcoholic on a binge, and thought he still had a chance for the job. After I politely explained we've hired someone else, he tried getting compensation for his medical bills, it turned into a frustrating conversation.

Luckily in IT I hope I won't have to deal with such interesting people that are in dire straits.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    swabbies wrote: »
    He replied "Oh man, there were wires EVERYWHERE!". And that is all he had to say about it.
    This is funnyicon_lol.gif.....next time i'm asked in an interview so how was your security program at your last job? i will say "There were passwords everywhere"
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    techfiend wrote: »
    I haven't been in a position to hire in IT yet. In the auto field I have a few memorable experiences. One that comes to mind is a guy submitted a resume with substantial experience and with the certs we were looking for, which was quite a bit. The initial phone call went so well that I had him in the back of my mind while interviewing others. When he walked in for the interview, the alcohol scent was strong and he could barely open his eyes. I thought of asking him to leave right there but he was communicating well and maybe had lazy eyes, I figured I'd see what comes of it. The interview was going surprisingly well until about 10 minutes in he passes out, falls off the chair and splits his head open on a concrete floor, the amberlamps were called. A few days later he called explaining what happened, alcoholic on a binge, and thought he still had a chance for the job. After I politely explained we've hired someone else, he tried getting compensation for his medical bills, it turned into a frustrating conversation.

Luckily in IT I hope I won't have to deal with such interesting people that are in dire straits.

Jesus Christ. I hope he used that experience as motivation to get sober.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »

I'm still waiting on that call.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I hope he used that experience as motivation to get sober.

I hope so too but heavy drinkers are too common in the auto industry. It was the most common cause of termination in my experience and seen it destroy a few lives.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen applications for senior technical and managerial positions such as IT Program Manager (supervisory project manager), Senior Sys/Net Engineers, IT Managers, etc., from people with 0 experience in anything related whatsoever. Those folks don't ever get interviewed unless there is something special in their resume that screams "potential!!!"

My fave was one my boss received for my current position (Senior Security Engineer) from a school janitor who said he liked the movie "Hackers".

As far as interviews go, technical questions are kind of a waste of time, aside from scenario-based ones that give you insight into their critical thinking, teamwork, decision-making, judgement, attitude toward authority, etc. Behavioral interviewing techniques are very helpful in my experience. Asses their technical competence via validating the data on their resume is accurate by checking their references and verifying their certs. If I'm interviewing for a security manager/architect/engineer job that doesn't require me to stare at packet captures all the livelong day, and I'm asked some arbitrary technical trivia like "here's a whiteboard, diagram a TCP packet header for an XMAS scan in Nmap", I know the hiring manager is probably a trainwreck.
  • Options
    renacido wrote: »
    I'm asked some arbitrary technical trivia like "here's a whiteboard, diagram a TCP packet header for an XMAS scan in Nmap", I know the hiring manager is probably a trainwreck.

Strange enough my last interview i was ask to do a very similar thing. In nice words, I basically told the interviewer to go F%$% himself.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    renacido wrote: »
    As far as interviews go, technical questions are kind of a waste of time, aside from scenario-based ones that give you insight into their critical thinking, teamwork, decision-making, judgement, attitude toward authority, etc. Behavioral interviewing techniques are very helpful in my experience. Asses their technical competence via validating the data on their resume is accurate by checking their references and verifying their certs. If I'm interviewing for a security manager/architect/engineer job that doesn't require me to stare at packet captures all the livelong day, and I'm asked some arbitrary technical trivia like "here's a whiteboard, diagram a TCP packet header for an XMAS scan in Nmap", I know the hiring manager is probably a trainwreck.

Hiring well is just as difficult as any other job, and requires particular skills and training, but too often it's just treated as "Oh, you know what this job is, so you will be fine to hire someone". It's at about the same level as "Oh, you can drive, how about you change out the carburettor on this car".

Usually it won't matter, since your competition is likely to be pretty bad at hiring as well.

But yeah, a good structured interview where you have actually thought about the things that matter for success in the job - all the things, not just technical competence - and where you aim not just be able to evaluate candidates but to compare them to each other and the ideal candidate, is what people need to be aiming for. It gives a better outcome for everyone. It's also a good indication for a candidate when the company hiring them is doing a good job with the hiring process, that maybe they take all their processes seriously.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Oh, you know what this job is, so you will be fine to hire someone"

I had two interviews like that where on of the people on the interview was hired a few months prior. I was thinking "WTF, why are they having someone who was hired just a few months ago interviewing me."