Options

Network/VMware Engineer - Dataprise - Washington, DC

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Thanks, doing some interview prep.

You got this!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Thanks Manny for your inspiration, feel the love from down-under!!!!!
    You got this!! icon_thumright.gif

Thanks Zach :)
  • Options
    So the interview went well, meet with 5 people.

Apparently the job has been open for 6 months, I asked for the highest they offered which is 90k on the application but made no mention of it with either of the 5 people I meet over 5 hours, but my recruiter is like you said 75k. I'm like it's a cost of living factor, I'm always going to aim higher...

It's a Sr. Role, Sr. is not cheap. If they offer me more than 75k I'll take it but for this large of a company this recruiting company is lame...
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ugh, recruiters, they'll get to you. With your knowledge, experience and locale you deserve more than 80k! Have you been looking for alternatives? Any luck?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Ya the Dataprise company likes me allot.

Basically I know what I'm worth...

From the interview, the Director of IT likes me allot, but the other 3 people, the system administrator, networking guy and the NOC Manager I could see they felt threatened by me....

Never has my vast knowledge of the IT Infrastructure been portrayed negatively...

I basically managing a 1200 user company by myself for 3 yeara, this company has 900 employees with 3 IT people.

They seemed shocked I know so much about Windows Administration, Network Administration, Storage Administration, VMware Administration, and Help desk.

Every question they asked I had an answer for and a why as to my answer...

I guess only time will tell...

I realized just by there conversations that have a very flawed infrastructure and needs allot of work in the storage and VMware space.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Ya the Dataprise company likes me allot.

Basically I know what I'm worth...

From the interview, the Director of IT likes me allot, but the other 3 people, the system administrator, networking guy and the NOC Manager I could see they felt threatened by me....

Never has my vast knowledge of the IT Infrastructure been portrayed negatively...

I basically managing a 1200 user company by myself for 3 yeara, this company has 900 employees with 3 IT people.

They seemed shocked I know so much about Windows Administration, Network Administration, Storage Administration, VMware Administration, and Help desk.

Every question they asked I had an answer for and a why as to my answer...

I guess only time will tell...

I realized just by there conversations that have a very flawed infrastructure and needs allot of work in the storage and VMware space.

You have no idea, the company I work for is just like this. They are reluctant to share information (sys ads, mostly) and treat the desktop team like utter garbage most of the time. People need to accept that there are going to be people out there that know more than you but isn't a bad thing! I consider myself a SME performing desktop support on Win 7 but I will gladly respect anyone who knows more than me - especially on topics I have no operational knowledge in (networking, sys administration).

I WANT people who are smarter than me to come in so I can learn from them and improve! Maybe one day, then, I can be just like them.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Appreciation from your boss, likely IT director, is definitely important. Being appreciated by those you work with, system and network guys, is even more important. If the technical guys aren't open to teach you about the environment and learn from you later on, it leaves you in a pretty uncomfortable position. I've been there and if this happens, the IT director may decide to make a change, which I wouldn't want to be on either side of.

I don't exactly know what you mean by felt threatened by you. If it's more 'wow this guy knows a lot' that could be a big positive. If it's more 'this guy's a know it all that's good at faking it' then I'd tread lightly, very lightly.

I think you'll find major issues in most SMB environments, some they may want fixed while others they may not. It opens the door for expanding your knowledge and resume. Fixing issues also makes for a lot more interesting task then monitoring a near perfect environment. You know what I'm facing and how I've been feeling about it. I'm a bit more at ease knowing now that it's going to be a slow transition as opposed to the once thought big bang one night.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Appreciation from your boss, likely IT director, is definitely important. Being appreciated by those you work with, system and network guys, is even more important. If the technical guys aren't open to teach you about the environment and learn from you later on, it leaves you in a pretty uncomfortable position. I've been there and if this happens, the IT director may decide to make a change, which I wouldn't want to be on either side of.

I don't exactly know what you mean by felt threatened by you. If it's more 'wow this guy knows a lot' that could be a big positive. If it's more 'this guy's a know it all that's good at faking it' then I'd tread lightly, very lightly.

I think you'll find major issues in most SMB environments, some they may want fixed while others they may not. It opens the door for expanding your knowledge and resume. Fixing issues also makes for a lot more interesting task then monitoring a near perfect environment. You know what I'm facing and how I've been feeling about it. I'm a bit more at ease knowing now that it's going to be a slow transition as opposed to the once thought big bang one night.

I completely agree, treading lightly indeed. Hopefully if i come onboard and shake things up they see me skillsets and trust me more.

But I do know what your going through, as I mentioned on Facebook, if you ever need to pick my brain, ask away. I like sharing knowledge. :)
  • Options
    don't you love it when an employer tells you they feel you know too much and that they felt you'd get bored after a few months?

It kind of felt like they knew if I came onboard I'd leave in a years time since I would be bored out of my mind.

I felt like since the company only had 900 employees for 3 IT people if I came onboard it would be 4 people do the work on what 2 people could do if they have the right drive and passion like I do...

...or maybe I'm just used to doing a massive workload spread across many different realms of IT. I know now that I'm a threat to large IT departments cause of my wealth of knowledge. Lesson learned.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know now that I'm a threat to large IT departments cause of my wealth of knowledge. Lesson learned.

I really don't think that's the lesson you should be learning from this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    That's too bad but when one door closes... you know the rest. Maybe they were right in some ways that it wasn't enough of a challenge for you? Do you have a history of job hopping?

The environment can make a big difference on how boring a job can be. I used to work in a loud environment where headaches were common but I found a lot of ways to have fun when there wasn't much IT work to do. Now I'm in a quiet environment, which is nice most of the time, except when there's not much to do or having to wait the time ticks by slowly. Granted I know this will vary by the person. I'm not one to play web games like most others do there. Maybe I'll see what they say about studying on the job.
  • Options
    I talked to the guy in a thank you email afterwards and it grew into a Facebook conversation since we both play worldof warcraft. They just felt I knew too much and that I could basically do the jobs of all the other 3 people. It was kind of humbling to hear. You got to remember my last job as a IT Manager I maintained a 3 site infrastructure for 1200 users in a 24/7 6 day a week operation and I did this for 3 years with only a A+ under my belt, my experience exploded literally to what many only get after 8 to 10 years experience....

I'll be honest I would have been bored in 6 months time. I understand the full spectrum of IT and I just need to find an employer that is technology driven and has lots of growth. Showed me what I want next.

My current employer picked me cause of my VCP5-DCV certification but the past year being the System/Network/Storage/VMware Administrator for 500 users has given me the success to do it all well and maintain a complete IT Infrastructure solo...

I don't want to say I'm too ambitious and driven, but that's basically what has lead me to this point, I need to aim higher...
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I really don't think that's the lesson you should be learning from this.

Fa sho

Don't think your too big for your briches, whenever you think your really good, you will meet a guy or girl who makes you look like you don't know what your doing.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Well this is refreshing. I sent a thank you email regardless and I actually sent Lok'Tar Ogar at the end and the Director knew what I meant and a discussion soon followed to Facebook for 4 hours.... Basically the IT department had my vote, but it went before a 10 person panel and it got turned down...

Just keep on trucking for another company. :)

From what I gathered, is they want a moron with just enough knowledge and then pay them peanuts... I couldn't work there long-term with that mentality.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you may need a little humility. Companies will hire the most qualified person for the job who can bring the most value. Do some internal reflection. If you sounded as cocky in the interviews as you were on the message boards, then I wouldn't hire you either. Being able to mesh with the team and fit in is just as important as technical competency. You obviously don't know everything since you have had difficulty getting your CCNA.

Be humble, work on your craft, and focus on how you can provide value to an organization in your next interview.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with broli720 100%. Careful how you come across or all the tech knowledge in the world isn't going to help you. I know I certainly wouldn't be looking to bring someone on with the attitude you display here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Meh, I am who I am. My personality of high energy and very high confidence isn't for everyone, no one or any company is going to change me.

I have an interview with VMware in NYC next week. :)

I really need to find a fast-paced and large infrastructure for me to be content.

As for CCNA, there is a difference with knowing the craft and passing a figurative exam. I manage networks fine, passing a intentionally hard exam is different. But we shall see moving forward have 180 minutes on Pearson Exams moving forward. :)
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with broli720 100%. Careful how you come across or all the tech knowledge in the world isn't going to help you. I know I certainly wouldn't be looking to bring someone on with the attitude you display here.

While I agree to an extent its always great to hear that you're awesome once in awhile. Even if it means the job didn't come through. It's the silver lining.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Well all may not be lost, I meet with the Josh fella last night at the gym and we talked one-to-one for a few hours while working out. I guess my friendly but confident personality rubbed off on him.

I might get the job in a few weeks but not through the recruiters, the finders fee from this recruiter group is pretty high....

that was a determining factor...

Well, tack on another interview, have another one in Manhattan.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Meh, I am who I am. My personality of high energy and very high confidence isn't for everyone, no one or any company is going to change me.

I have an interview with VMware in NYC next week. :)

I really need to find a fast-paced and large infrastructure for me to be content.

As for CCNA, there is a difference with knowing the craft and passing a figurative exam. I manage networks fine, passing a intentionally hard exam is different. But we shall see moving forward have 180 minutes on Pearson Exams moving forward. :)

CCNA is not a hard exam. It is an entry level certification focused on the core fundamentals of networking. There is nothing wrong with having a lot of confidence. A certain level of swagger is necessary in senior roles, but there is something to be said of a person who recognizes their weakness. There is a fine line and I only caution you to tread carefully.

I won't say anymore on the matter, so good luck.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    CCNA is not a hard exam. It is an entry level certification focused on the core fundamentals of networking. There is nothing wrong with having a lot of confidence. A certain level of swagger is necessary in senior roles, but there is something to be said of a person who recognizes their weakness. There is a fine line and I only caution you to tread carefully.

I won't say anymore on the matter, so good luck.

I agree with this. I was also perusing your blog and noticed your linkedin profile says 'CCNA R/S' next to your name..might want to change that until you actually achieve the certification?
  • Options
    jamthat wrote: »
    I agree with this. I was also perusing your blog and noticed your linkedin profile says 'CCNA R/S' next to your name..might want to change that until you actually achieve the certification?

Passed the exam in 2007, just never renewed it until now. I got it long ago, just now I'm renewing it. I got it when I was 22, but never used it.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    LOL wow, I have never seen anything like this. Good luck man! You're on the trajectory for a big lesson, you may not know it yet.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I used to have this attitude. I believe having some confidence is a necessity. I'm also always one to also chase those high impact projects and be the the SME for things that I am tasked with.

That being said. Humility is also an equally valuable trait. I remember this distinctly when I started working with people who were twice as smart, and twice as knowledgeable as I was. It was a great experience and insanely humbling.

I'm confident in what I know, and confident that I don't know.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Amen to that..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow....... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's a good think I crashed a network 3 weeks into my first real full-time IT job and had a lot of people mad at me. Lesson learned :)
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□

Knowing just enough to be extremely dangerous will scare off most prospective employers.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    You obviously don't know everything since you have had difficulty getting your CCNA.

Gonna have to call FOUL on that one.
    lol

Passing/Failing a Multiple-Choice Certification Exam doesn't Prove ANYTHING.
    (well.... other than, you can pass/fail an exam)

There are many lessons to be learned.
    Perhaps, it is true: Be more Humble.

Or, perhaps also: DUMB down your resume.
    The interviewers thought he KNEW TOO MUCH, and would "job hop" in 6 months.

As for, being perceived as a "threat" to those around him: it's a VALID point.
    You never know what goes People's minds.
    Maybe i'm real insecure. Maybe i'm afraid that this guy could eventually take my job.
    Or maybe i'm extremely small-minded and simply want to be the smartest guy in the room :]

There are many lessons to be learned here...
  • Options
    better outcome, current employer defined my role as a pure system administrator, but now managing our Tulsa, OK and Priceton, NJ locations twice a month, so free traveling, with a 15k pay increase. I can live with that for a spell.
This discussion has been closed.