Options

Network/VMware Engineer - Dataprise - Washington, DC

13»

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't say traveling to Tulsa, OK is exactly a perk icon_wink.gif

On a serious note, shoot me a pm if you have any questions about the area..I'm one of the few on the forums that lives out here
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! How did you manage to get a 15k raise?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I had two offers on the table, but lower than the 15k increase. I basically told them I'll leave shortly unless you give me a pay raise.
    jamthat wrote: »
    Wouldn't say traveling to Tulsa, OK is exactly a perk icon_wink.gif

On a serious note, shoot me a pm if you have any questions about the area..I'm one of the few on the forums that lives out here

they pay for the travel. :)
  • Options
    Gosh, either I'm too confident or people just love my Linkedin Profile or I can just talk a recruiter to death with my knowledge....

I hope I'm humble enough to land this one....

Senior Windows Engineer :)

• Salary:
      120,000.00 - 150,000.00 $ /spacer.gifyear
    • Job Status:
      Full Time, Employee

• BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field - MS is a plus
    • 7+ years of windows systems administration experience, with a minimum of five (5) years working in a senior engineering role
    • Microsoft certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Server Infrastructure certification preferred - private cloud or messaging is an additional plus
    • VMware certified professional preferred
    • Cisco Data Center (UCS) certification is plus
    • HP Storage certification is a plus
    • Additional years of senior systems administration experience may be substituted for degree requirement
    • Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating System and related technology
    • Experience in deploying and managing Microsoft Windows server environment: 2003, 2008 and 2012
    • Well versed in internet architecture components such as web, application and database: IIS, MS SQL Server and ASP.Net
    • Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Exchange 2010 and 2013 design, administration and troubleshooting for an installation with multiple database groups
    • Strong understanding TCP / IP, SNMP. SMTP, SSL, SSH, DNS, DHCP, Kerberos, LDAP and SAMBA
    • Extensive experience in virtualization technology: VMware (vCenter, Vsphere 4 - 6 and ESX 4 - 6)
    • Experience in deployment and management of complex Active Directory (AD) environment
    • Deep understanding of Active Directory Domain Services
    • Hands-on knowledge of the latest Active Director Federation Services (ADFS)
    • Experience in deploying and managing SAN technology and product including HP 3Par and IBM
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read job descriptions line that and I realize how little I know amd wonder if I will ever have the skills/experience needed for those positions.
  • Options
    Luck for me is all my positions have been lead, overall positions that are not specialized. So I know it all.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Deathmage wrote: »
    So I know it all.

Glad someone does. Working on the second CCIE and I still don't know it all!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I designed several large global voice and data networks with large VMware clusters, helped quite a few people on this site with complex problems and I still don't know it all. Glad someone else does. I can sleep at night now.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    I feel like im that guy from that old school show back in the 1990's called the Pretender, that's what I feel like when I come into a role. My past expereinces always carry to the next step and nothing, in regards to IT, seems hard, except maybe programming. The Infrastructure aspect, that I just understand and love it...

I can never go back to a single roled job, I need to be in everything or I'm extremely bored...

Like I'm always labbing at home, like always...if I didn't have my home-lab I'd be so lost...

I probably come off very arrogant and overly confident, but meh, people say I grow on them... I'm just very overbearing.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I feel like im that guy from that old school show back in the 1990's called the Pretender, that's what I feel like when I come into a role. My past expereinces always carry to the next step and nothing, in regards to IT, seems hard, except maybe programming. The Infrastructure aspect, that I just understand and love it...

I can never go back to a single roled job, I need to be in everything or I'm extremely bored...

Like I'm always labbing at home, like always...if I didn't have my home-lab I'd be so lost...

I probably come off very arrogant and overly confident, but meh, people say I grow on them... I'm just very overbearing.

I wish I could make labbing a hobby but I have way too many hobbies outside of IT. I think its fantastic that you work on your craft in your spare time.

Oh, and I agree that programming is hard. But I think its only hard for me because I don't enjoy it. Learning it is so slow and difficult because I cringe at the thought of having to pull out my IDE and learn Java. I feel you either hate it or love it.

By the way, do you currently work in a role where you are the only IT person? If not, that seems like the best fit for you since you like to manage multiple things and you don't have to worry about intimidating someone with your mad skills.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shodown wrote: »
    I designed several large global voice and data networks with large VMware clusters, helped quite a few people on this site with complex problems and I still don't know it all. Glad someone else does. I can sleep at night now.

lol
  • Options
    bpenn wrote: »
    I wish I could make labbing a hobby but I have way too many hobbies outside of IT. I think its fantastic that you work on your craft in your spare time.

Oh, and I agree that programming is hard. But I think its only hard for me because I don't enjoy it. Learning it is so slow and difficult because I cringe at the thought of having to pull out my IDE and learn Java. I feel you either hate it or love it.

By the way, do you currently work in a role where you are the only IT person? If not, that seems like the best fit for you since you like to manage multiple things and you don't have to worry about intimidating someone with your mad skills.

Currently I'm in charge of a /21 VLSM'd network of 25 vlans, a mixed 2008/2012 domain with VMware FT-based SQL with a 450 user AD built over a 7 domain infrastructure with a parent and 6 sub domains of the parent. The VMware cluster is now a N+12 environment with two Equalogic 6500's with quad 8G Fibre-Channel between the Equalogic's into the Fibre-Channel fabric with dual 10G etherchannel to each ESXI, however bandwidth on the ESXi's don't even push 3G so tons of growth. The servers are Dell, Core/Distro layer is Cisco 3750X's with the Access being multiple Dell N2048's with dedicated dual 10G uplinks to Distro. GLBP enabled routing over a Dual ISP dmark on two Cisco routers. The plus for me is I've designed the whole thing myself, deployed it, tweaked it, and now I just watch it...

On top of that I'm managing a N+12 Terminal Server farm for the 6 remote domains. It's your typical Hub-n-spoke topology for a IaaS for a SaaS platform.

I do the system, networking, storage, VMware, and Security for the entire infrastructure.

I love it but my current employer has no clue of what I should be paid...now that it's all implemented and running correctly, I'm so bored.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VMware cluster is now a N+12 environment
    On top of that I'm managing a N+12 Terminal Server farm

[Redundancy intensifies]
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would advise caution. Even if you're being overconfident in a joking manner, it will make it easier to come off as arrogant the longer you interact that way with your peers. Eventually you will need help with some issue, there's no doubt about that, and the people who view you as arrogant might be the ones who have the answer to your problem.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think this thread has about run its course. No one knows it all. Sometimes it just takes a while for them to figure that out!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
This discussion has been closed.