Options

If I Pass Only CCIE Written

2»

Comments

• Options
    JobeneJobene Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kids :D Play nice.

Just put it in the "Zusätzliches"-Section ( it is german for additional )....
    -CCIE Written, Lab will be done in 2 months.....

If you have the knowledge and be ready for the level of questions there is no point against.....
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Maybe these hiring managers need to revisit their hiring process. If a candidate is far from the technical requirements of the job, the candidate should have never even made it the hiring manager. They should consider a phone screen to filter out candidates before bringing them in for an interview. If CCIE is a requirement, then that should be validated before a candidate is pushed through the interview process. Put your HR recruiters to work!

I never got why some interviewers asked technical questions based on the resume instead of the role. If you are applying for a junior position, I'll ask you similar questions that are related to the job no matter what cert or experience you have in your resume. I need to know if you can do the job that you are applying for, not if you can back up the things on your resume.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pevangel wrote: »
    Maybe these hiring managers need to revisit their hiring process. If a candidate is far from the technical requirements of the job, the candidate should have never even made it the hiring manager. They should consider a phone screen to filter out candidates before bringing them in for an interview. If CCIE is a requirement, then that should be validated before a candidate is pushed through the interview process. Put your HR recruiters to work!

I never got why some interviewers asked technical questions based on the resume instead of the role. If you are applying for a junior position, I'll ask you similar questions that are related to the job no matter what cert or experience you have in your resume. I need to know if you can do the job that you are applying for, not if you can back up the things on your resume.

A lot of times the HR screen is just a few simple questions where they don't know what they are asking and just looking for you to say a few keywords. Plus, with sites like Glassdoor that post full interview questions/answers, it's easy for someone with limited knowledge to slip through.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You also have to remember that CCIE requirements can be for partner requirements, where just passing technical questions doesn't actually mean you can fulfill the needs
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had direct experience with this yesterday. I'm recruiting a senior network engineer and my HR manager told me she had a CCIE scheduled to come in for an interview. I was excited to hear this, but once we got to the interview, I realized that his resume said "passed CCIE written, studying for the CCIE lab" which was a big let down. It probably wouldn't have mattered much had I been the first to look at the resume, but since HR didn't understand the difference, it was a psychological letdown when I did see it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DPG wrote: »
    It isn't the hiring managers that are getting butt-hurt over this.

If you have passed a written exam, it should be notated somewhere on your resume without blatantly saying "I am CCIE certified (but not really)."

My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Plus, with sites like Glassdoor that post full interview questions/answers, it's easy for someone with limited knowledge to slip through.

This is why the certification is worthless unless needed for partner status. What can a hiring manager do when you have people dumping the exam and lab and then dumping the interview?
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is why the certification is worthless unless needed for partner status. What can a hiring manager do when you have people dumping the exam and lab and then dumping the interview?

Yeah, but this is why the filtering should be on the hiring manager(and if they are not technical, then someone on the team should be). I also think it would be wise to have a lab exam set up somewhere in the hiring process. I mean how difficult is it to throw together a basic Packet Tracer lab for CCNA candidates and a GNS3 lab for CCNP/CCIE candidates? If I was a hiring manager, it would take me maybe 1 day to set it all up and I would quickly find out who is competent and who isn't. If you dumped the exam and the interview, you will probably fail the lab exam. It would take an extraordinary dumper to bypass all filters.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think if you're using a canned list of interview questions that can be leaked to a site you are doing it wrong and setting yourself up for failure anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Yeah, but this is why the filtering should be on the hiring manager(and if they are not technical, then someone on the team should be). I also think it would be wise to have a lab exam set up somewhere in the hiring process. I mean how difficult is it to throw together a basic Packet Tracer lab for CCNA candidates and a GNS3 lab for CCNP/CCIE candidates? If I was a hiring manager, it would take me maybe 1 day to set it all up and I would quickly find out who is competent and who isn't. If you dumped the exam and the interview, you will probably fail the lab exam. It would take an extraordinary dumper to bypass all filters.

And then the candidate has someone remote in and complete the lab for them. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And then the candidate has someone remote in and complete the lab for them. icon_redface.gif
    I presume that they would have them do the lab in person/on site. Setup a rack with a VMware ESXi server, a few switches, and a console server (DigiCM, Cisco, whatever). Then, have a computer in a room that the candidate would use to connect to the various virtual routers, physical switches, etc...and complete various configuration and troubleshooting tasks. The benefit of using ESXi vs. GNS3 is that you can test on newer technologies such as EIGRP Named Mode, etc...and also test the candidate on other technologies such as Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Voice (CallManager, Unity, Unified Presence), Microsoft Server, Linux Administration, etc...
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Hiring is a process and like all processes needs continuous improvement. You have to refresh your phone screen and the questions you ask during a technical interview. HR should be tracking sites like Glassdoor to see if the questions show up there so that they can alert the hiring managers to come up with new questions. If HR came up to me and said they have a CCIE candidate, I'll ask them to validate their numbers before bringing them in.

We do panel interviews where I work so bad interviews have a big impact. Billable hours of 3-4 people gone to waste. Because of this, we've implemented changes to filter out candidates so that we're not wasting so much of our time. We'd lose a ton of money if we interviewed people who look like a fit solely on their resume. Our current hiring practices have been put in place because of our experiences with bad interviews and bad hires.

Resumes are not always an accurate description of somebody's technical skills so bringing somebody in for an interview solely on their resume is stupid. I've met a CCIE who had no clue what the hell he's doing. He passed his CCIE from 10+ years ago (CCIE# is in the 8000s), and I'm assuming he's been dumping the Written ever since just to renew it. We've also had people who put CCIE on their resume but couldn't provide a number or provided someone else's number.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pevangel, great rundown on what you guys do, and it certainly sounds well thought out to me.

Honestly, not sure what we would do for a new hire on our team, as we haven't had a new position go open since I joined the team 6-7 years ago. I know for the manager position on our team, was similar hard culling, for the same reason (wasted time and finding best candidate). So they started interviews with only internal people (givse a huge step up on knowledge of the person and their skills), then went through all resumes and applications to get it down to final few, and then phone interviews of that group to get final two (we're spread out across the country) and then flew in final two for face to face panel interview with the three levels of management above that position.

Sadly, hiring processes often become almost a battle ground, because some people choose to be dishonest in their attempts to put their "best foot" (or somebody else's) forward, and on the company's side, people can get lazy. But like anything else, the more effort you put in on something, the better the results can be.
  • Options
    ManjingilaneManjingilane Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...You are a very patient and understanding Man....For anyone calling me stupid and in same breathe claiming "Professionalism" would be deserving of all the wrath I could muster from every molecule of my body.

But to the OP's question,YES place it on my resume. You paid $400 for it. Get your money's worth. Be conscious of how you represent yourself and refrain from slotting it into the certification field.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pevangel wrote: »

To continue with the 'thread necro' - I personally wouldn't list it. It's not a complete qualification. Even if you're able to fool some HR system, you are misrepresenting yourself. The possible exception would be someone who has worked at Cisco (or similar) for years, and really does know what they're doing despite not being certified as CCIE. Practically speaking though, the resume is just a way to get your foot in the door and all's fair in love & war, as the saying goes. If someone is able to get hired based on Written only, then more power to them, or something like that. Who am I to judge. Seems like a waste of time to me, though.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wouldn't list it. You will look daft.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Someone should just do a test. Send out a bunch of resumes with CCIE, with CCIE (written), and with CCNP. See how many call backs you get, how many phone screens you get passed and how tough they are. Then we'd know for sure.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM