Options

How many hours a week do you work?

2»

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    In Australia, "standard" work week is 38 hours, some places are 35 hours, some are more. But unpaid overtime is pretty common, or time in lieu (ie do 2 hours extra today, and take 2 hours off later). The IT infrastructure roles I've had usually end up with me working later, getting some time off, and doing some unpaid overtime, so maybe some weeks are 38 hours, some are 35, some are 44.

I wish I had the research to hand, but the relationship between hours worked and productivity isn't as straightforward as we popularly imagine. If you work too many hours for too long, you are less productive than you would be on normal or even shorter hours. Tired people make more mistakes, and are less creative in solving problems. They can also just work slower. For jobs where you have to use your brain, this fatigue can kick in sooner than the repetitive industrial work that gave us 40 hours as an optimum.

Anecdotally from people who have worked in situations where 12hour+ days are common, a lot of that time isn't actually productive at all, and is more about the appearance of working hard than actually getting stuff done.

So when I hear about IT people working 40, 45, 50, 80 hours, I wonder how productive they actually are and if everyone would be better off doing 35 hours.

EDIT
    OK, so this is not the most academic work, but is interesting and easy to read. There's a few links in the sidebar, and they do talk a bit about software development in particular.

Slightly more in depth, and harder to read. It does have more sources at the end of the article.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm employed for ~40 hours of work per week, there is however about 20-25 hours of work there for me to do.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I'm employed for ~40 hours of work per week, there is however about 20-25 hours of work there for me to do.

This is kinda what i'm dreading. I currently do 37.5 hours per week and there's around 10 hours (maybe 15) of actual solid work to do. After that, you've got to go looking for work, or if there's still nothing, you're going to be very bored. I'd prefer a 35 hour week where 30+ hours were busy rather than my current 37.5 hours a week with 10 hours being busy.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    why not use the time to get studying to learn more about the systems you support.
    It makes a lot of difference to have the systems available that you are learning about so you can put the new skills to good use and start to produce recommendation for improvements (think of ITIL Continual Service Improvement), and do your best to quantify the benefits as accurately as possible to justify the changes.

This will give multiple benefits:
    1 - you show the business where it can save money (and may even get a piece of this or pay rise)
    2 - you develop your skill set substantially
    3 - your environment should improve with more features to support or develop
    4 - you raise your profile for promotion through the initiatives shown and new skills learned

Once you come close to exhausting the avenues you can train on, ask your manager if there is scope to grow elsewhere and if the answer is no, start looking for another job where the skills will get you a better challenge.

Just a thought...
    Iain
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My hours are amazing. I have a 36 hour week and then a 48 hour week. Its 4 days on 4 days off, 12 hour shifts.

The first two days are day shifts, followed by a 24 hour period and then two nights. The days go quick and the 24 hour gap is really nice. The night shifts go fast and before you know it...you have 3 and a half days off (I sleep the first day following a night shift, from around 9am to 4pm).

I've never not worked overtime though so its normally an extra 12 hour shift somewhere in the week. In October last year I worked a 75 hour week but it helped me get my NOC role.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Straight 40 hours here. My schedule is 7a-4p, however I loathe traffic so I come in at 6a and leave at 3p. I get an hour lunch break so I work 8 hours a day, M-F. No overtime as I'm salaried.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    40hrs

Can be more depending on special projects and if IT is working with a customer facing group. I've done 60 hours. Thank god I get overtime otherwise I wouldn't have the energy to go past 40hrs.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    45-60, depending on the project needs and how busy we are. There is not much of a comp time policy here, typically the manager will give you about one hour for every three or four you work extra and you have to almost beg for that. Lots of different customers means lots of different needs based on time of day.
  • Options
    actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    This is kinda what i'm dreading. I currently do 37.5 hours per week and there's around 10 hours (maybe 15) of actual solid work to do. After that, you've got to go looking for work, or if there's still nothing, you're going to be very bored. I'd prefer a 35 hour week where 30+ hours were busy rather than my current 37.5 hours a week with 10 hours being busy.

Honestly, I would prefer to be at work getting paid to not be busy, than to be sitting at home not making money. Maybe that's just me. I work at least 40 hours a week, and depending on what work needs to be done after hours, I may have a bit of OT. I've had to dial the OT back recently, as they have been having their money slow down a bit. But, now if I need to come in at night to work, I will generally just take a half day and balance it out. So, I still get my 40 hours, and sometimes maybe a little extra.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, I would prefer to be at work getting paid to not be busy, than to be sitting at home not making money. Maybe that's just me. I work at least 40 hours a week, and depending on what work needs to be done after hours, I may have a bit of OT. I've had to dial the OT back recently, as they have been having their money slow down a bit. But, now if I need to come in at night to work, I will generally just take a half day and balance it out. So, I still get my 40 hours, and sometimes maybe a little extra.

I do understand what you're saying but how I approach work is that I'd like to be learning something new every day/week/month. If i'm doing the same crap day in and day out then I'm going to get bored pretty darn quickly which is where I can tell si20 is at too. I don't just want employment or a job, I want to be challenged regularly to be better at what I do. I take this approach with most things in life tbh, I want to be a better worker/husband/father etc. (no particular order btw :) ) - it's what motivates me.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Straight 40 hours here. My schedule is 7a-4p, however I loathe traffic so I come in at 6a and leave at 3p. I get an hour lunch break so I work 8 hours a day, M-F. No overtime as I'm salaried.

Same here, the company has core hours between 9-3, you can flex around those. I skip as much traffic as I can with 6:30-3. If I wait until even 4pm it can take significantly more time to get home.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being a contractor is pretty nice because I get exactly 40 hours a week. No more no less. So compared to my prior job, the stability is nice especially with grad school and a baby on the way. Even better we're moving to a flex schedule so I'll hopefully be getting every other Friday off.

As far what Kinet1c said, I get it. I'm in the middle. There's times where I love being able to take a breath but I don't want to be stuck in purgatory either. Luckily my boss is great. If we're not busy, he doesn't mind me studying for certs or doing homework for grad school but that's also because he knows as soon as I get work, that's my first priority until it's done and it's done right.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    DunklerEngelVNVDunklerEngelVNV Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly 40 hours per week. M-F. Overtime opportunities (time and a half) come around a couple times a year and are not mandatory. They will round up volunteers as needed for those big projects that need OT.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    40. Five 8 hr shifts. Actual work on average about 20. Have had weeks where I had like 5 hours of work, some all 40.

I remember the last time I saw this type of thread (3ish years ago) a lot of people reported 50-60 hours of work even while salaried. Good to see this time most people are at around 40.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    Wow. I'm blind sided that the OP thinks that 40 hours is a long work week. No offense but are you a person in your twentys? What type of work week were you hoping for? 40 is normal but 50 is more the standard and possibly 55-60 if there is lots to be done.
  • Options
    goobacksgoobacks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm desktop support and I'm scheduled 40 hours a week 7-4, Mon-Fri. I normally don't take lunch though and end up with anywhere from 45-55 hours a week depending on if we have any projects/expansions going on.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just started a new position about a month ago and I'm 8-5 Mon-Fri only. Gig before this had an on call rotation.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    I slack a lot, it's hard to measure....for sure less than 40...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Typically 35 hours a week. Sometimes a lot more, but that is pretty rare.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It's been about a year since I was at the standard 40 hrs/wk...since then it's been an average of 50-55, sometimes up to 70+. But, pay is good so I don't complain when it comes to crunch time. Job is also really flexible in that I can come/go whenever as long as I get things done (although most of my days are filled with meetings). If I had a family I don't think I could keep up this pace but I don't so it's nbd. Work hard now for things to be easier later!
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    45 a week plus around 25 to 30 OT.

I make a lot of money but i also work all the time.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    pcgizzmo wrote: »
    Wow. I'm blind sided that the OP thinks that 40 hours is a long work week. No offense but are you a person in your twentys? What type of work week were you hoping for? 40 is normal but 50 is more the standard and possibly 55-60 if there is lots to be done.

OP is from the UK. Hours tend to be shorter generally compare to what I'm reading about the US.

Also, if you glance at the research in this area, it's likely that the average IT worker would get more done in a 38 hour week than in a 60 hour week. That's more done in total, not just per hour. At a certain point you get negative productivity.

When you think about it, linking pay to hours worked is pretty clumsy way to do things.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    When I was a UNIX/Linux SysAdmin, I often worked 60 hour weeks, and that wasn't counting when it was my turn to be on-call for overnight. I kept it up for 11 years but eventually I burned out, and moved over to a NOC where at least I had steady hours even if it was shift work. Now I'm doing Cybersecurity Audit and it's 40 hours all the way. It feels like vacation.
    "It's so stimulating being your hat!"
    "... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."