Options

Will ITIL Foundation increase likelihood of being hired in 2016?

2»

Comments

• Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    i took it last year.
    it was $205; at a proctored site.
    But for only $170; i could install their crapware on my laptop, and take the exam from home.

Where are you paying $250??

I just used that as a ballpark since that's what a quick Google search indicated. The actual cost of my exam voucher was $225, through ITSM Zone. I took the ITSM Zone course via Udemy and will be taking their web certification test next week. I found a site that offers the voucher for $160, but wasn't sure if they are legit.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITIL was mentioned at my department.
    we are to be getting training and I believe certification.

not knowing much about, it seems to me this will be about best practices, and procedures.
    so, with that said it makes sense that ITIL would not be worth spending time studying unless mgmt supports and the concept is coordinated and implemented by entire department.

like someone said, if something implemented bad mgrs take the heat. So, I like the term Cowboys. Maybe even maverick's. Best practices and procedures might rope these folks in, guide them on what expected and hold them accountable.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Just to help put some of the myths about ITIL into the light:

ITIL is a framework of "best practice" in IT and you only need to implement the component you want to. Most mid-large sized companies will adopt Incident, Change and possibly Problem Management aspects because they already do these to a degree anyway, and by adopting the best practices on how they are used, you get added value since you can now see trends in incidents and though problem management can get to the root cause of these and stop them happening again.

Change management is a way to prevent instability being brought into your infrastructure and stops inexperienced or sloppy staff from pushing changes to servers etc that will impact the availability or quality of your systems. It requires a group of experienced staff (the Change Board) to review detailed plans for the change so the more obvious mistakes / omissions in planning are caught and sensible planning is made to roll back the change if the unexpected happens. It also keeps the business informed of upcoming work so they can respond and tell IT of any times when they cannot risk any changes being made (payroll time for example).

It is really just common sense in a structured way - not bureaucracy gone mad, and if well implemented is going to demonstrate payback within weeks with minimal changes in how you work.

Oh and it is free, so where is the downside?

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UncleB wrote: »
    Just to help put some of the myths about ITIL into the light:

ITIL is a framework of "best practice" in IT and you only need to implement the component you want to. Most mid-large sized companies will adopt Incident, Change and possibly Problem Management aspects because they already do these to a degree anyway, and by adopting the best practices on how they are used, you get added value since you can now see trends in incidents and though problem management can get to the root cause of these and stop them happening again.

Change management is a way to prevent instability being brought into your infrastructure and stops inexperienced or sloppy staff from pushing changes to servers etc that will impact the availability or quality of your systems. It requires a group of experienced staff (the Change Board) to review detailed plans for the change so the more obvious mistakes / omissions in planning are caught and sensible planning is made to roll back the change if the unexpected happens. It also keeps the business informed of upcoming work so they can respond and tell IT of any times when they cannot risk any changes being made (payroll time for example).

It is really just common sense in a structured way - not bureaucracy gone mad, and if well implemented is going to demonstrate payback within weeks with minimal changes in how you work.

Oh and it is free, so where is the downside?

thanks
    Iain
    Finally, someone who gets it. TY.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    metalone4 wrote: »
    I just used that as a ballpark since that's what a quick Google search indicated. The actual cost of my exam voucher was $225, through ITSM Zone. I took the ITSM Zone course via Udemy and will be taking their web certification test next week. I found a site that offers the voucher for $160, but wasn't sure if they are legit.

I purchased the same Udemy course but did not get the time to finish it ... please let us when you pass the exam.
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    I purchased the same Udemy course but did not get the time to finish it ... please let us when you pass the exam.

I passed! I would say the Udemy course was definitely worth-while, but be sure to download and attempt the two practice exams from Axelos at the end (they are provided in the final step in the course, or can be downloaded from Axelos' website).

I tell you though, I took the test from home via People Cert and there were numerous technical issues. They had me disable Windows Firewall, which a) shouldn't be an acceptable approach to "resolving" any issue and b) didn't work anyway. They had to re-do my exam with a totally different tool which delayed my start time by nearly an hour. So, just beware of People Cert.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for letting us know.

I will probably study for a week then take the exam in a test center .. testing from home would be nice but as you said not guaranteed to work smoothly.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Taking the test from home is actually more comfortable amd convenient too
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Taking the test from home is actually more comfortable amd convenient too

It has the potential to be, that's for sure.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen ITIL certification popping up more frequently on job posts when I search for IT Security Auditor positions. Seems to be mainly for senior/management positions.

I know nothing about the certification but noticed it's posted usually as "CISSP, CISA required ITIL a plus", other times it's required. Might be something I read up on and maybe add it to my "someday" list.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITIL Foundations is really just a test on being able to work within an organization that utilizes ITIL practices. It isn't geared towards you being a practitioner or implementer of ITIL principles... just that you know the jargon and will be able to understand it when they call it "service desk" vs. "help desk"... so in reality, nothing really.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    Yes, it is possible. And increase your chances of getting interviews also.
  • Options
    I think ITIL will be increase likelihood. ITIL is best professional course.[h=2][/h]
  • Options
    For improve IT process ITIL is useful. ITIL is big thing in MNC company.