Options

Dress code question

vanillagorilla3vanillagorilla3 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know I know, this has been asked before, but I have an upcoming interview for a System Admin position. It's a very laid back place and the lead who called me told me right away do not get dressed up for the interview. He said jeans and a polo. I'm thinking slacks and a polo, but what do you guys think?

Most people seem to think one level above the current culture is good.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get dressed up. Interviews are to wow people. Do that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I always dress to impress during an interview. Most of the time I show up to work in a dress code that's higher than required, unless someone insists that I stop. I like to maintain my professional image. I'm tired of those people that think all technicians in IT are lazy slobs. :D
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    He told you specifically jeans and a polo. You really want your first impression to be a guy that doesn't follow directions?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The most dressed down I'd go for an interview is shirt and sportcoat minus the tie.

I interview in NYC though. "Laid back" is fairly rare.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have to agree with networker. If the guy interviewing you told you specifically how to dress, follow that to a 'T'. I highly doubt ignoring what he said and dressing up will make you look good. Put yourself in his shoes. If you were interviewing someone and you gave them explicit instructions would you be impressed or annoyed?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yup follow directions just make sure the jeans and shirt are in good condition and clean.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He told you specifically jeans and a polo. You really want your first impression to be a guy that doesn't follow directions?

This x 100.

Just do what the man said and show up in jeans and polo. A big part of the interview process is if you are "one of them". If you over-dress you will not be one of them. I never understood the "one level above" logic. I used to be a System Administrator and I would never show up in a suit and tie or "one level above" nonsense, unless specifically stated to do so.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hope when he goes in for the interview he finds out it is not a laid back place, that the guy was just messing with him, and everyone is in suits.

But honestly, why are some people telling to not go by what he was told to do?! Lol If you don't, the interviewer is just going to be wondering "how can this guy not follow the first thing I ask..." the whole time.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□

Purely my opinion: I wouldn't want to work for a company that would look down on how I want to feel professionally. I get that nowadays more and more companies allow for a more laxed dress code, and I do respect their choice to do exactly that, but I actually feel more comfortable working in a more professional dress code. I would feel completely uncomfortable showing up for an interview in jeans. Although, at the school where I teach, I'm expected to wear a dress shirt and tie, and I would much rather chuck the tie into a fire...
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Purely my opinion: I wouldn't want to work for a company that would look down on how I want to feel professionally. I get that nowadays more and more companies allow for a more laxed dress code, and I do respect their choice to do exactly that, but I actually feel more comfortable working in a more professional dress code. I would feel completely uncomfortable showing up for an interview in jeans. Although, at the school where I teach, I'm expected to wear a dress shirt and tie, and I would much rather chuck the tie into a fire...

Part of finding a new job is making sure you fit within the company's culture, so you probably wouldn't want the job, and they probably wouldn't give it to you... I've worked in both environments and I'll say wearing jeans everyday is pretty damn nice! I hate ironing... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate jeans and would never wear them, unless someone specifically told me to do so. After I got the job though I wouldn't wear them. Just don't be the dolt who can't follow directions.
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Interviewed for my job, I had a dressed very professionally while the interviewer (now boss) wore a polo, some shorts and sandles. Felt awkward but it went great. I even brought it up and we laughed about it. First day I went business casual...then on and off from casual with polo to business casual. Now im just with Jean a shirt and a $20 jacket. Im even growing a nice beard here. Cant complain.

Enjoy the laid backness of the job if you get it because its one in a dozen.
  • Options
    Dress nice..at least. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Something I live by- "When in doubt ALWAYS wear pants"
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    Something I live by- "When in doubt ALWAYS wear pants"

Well...don't ever not wear pants. Except maybe sometimes?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would wear jeans and a polo.
  • Options
    and nice shoes..
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Life is full of tests, but IF this is a test it's more likely to be a test about minimum standards and not about following instructions.

He won't ding you for dressing UP because he has no idea if you're coming from your regular job where you always dress nicely, or if you just had an important appointment with your banker, or if you have a special lunch date at a nice restaurant after the interview. And if he does happen to ding you for dressing up, then that's a great sign that this is a bad place to work.

He can ding you for dressing DOWN. Similarly, if your boss says to get at least 6 jobs done during the day that doesn't mean stop at 1:30 pm because you've already hit your quota. In that case, 6 is the minimum standard, but they obviously want you to do more if you can.

It's the difference between establishing a MINIMUM standard and a specific criteria. If he was establishing a minimum standard of jeans and a polo, dress UP to be above that standard.

But if you do decide to wear jeans, make sure they're really nice jeans. Not ripped, not frayed, not even faded.

And wear a belt and nice shoes. And tuck in your shirt.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    ^^
    I think you're over thinking it a bit here. Wearing slacks vs jeans isn't about putting the minimum in as both take the same time and effort. If this guy is saying to wear jeans as some type of mind game to get him to wear a suit, then I really don't know what to say. That's just strange
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Playing mind games would be someone in a financial, legal, or healthcare environment telling you to wear jeans to the interview. A knowingly laid back company telling you to wear jeans is as simple as it gets. Just don't wear Kanye West type "I've been through a lawn mower" jeans and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, no, my point was that it's NOT a mind game.

Just because someone says feel free to wear jeans does not mean it's REQUIRED to wear jeans, and it may not be the best choice. At the same time, you may actually impress someone by dressing up. Maybe not, but you've lost nothing (as you said, no real extra effort required).

On the flip side, to think you may lose points for wearing slacks instead of jeans is overthinking it.

The point is that an interview is an opportunity to impress. That includes technical knowledge, personal skills, and, yes, even appearance.

But it's just my 2 cents. Your experience may be different.

But I didn't say anything about wearing a suit.
  • Options
    Mind games was just an exaggeration. My point is if the guy made a point to not get dressed up and wear jeans and a polo, just do that.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Follow directions or going the extra mile? I wouldn't show up in a suit but slacks wouldn't kill the vibe and you could always say it felt really weird to wear jeans to an interview...completely normal since jeans aren't standard.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Playing mind games would be someone in a financial, legal, or healthcare environment telling you to wear jeans to the interview. A knowingly laid back company telling you to wear jeans is as simple as it gets. Just don't wear Kanye West type "I've been through a lawn mower" jeans and you'll be fine.

I work for the second largest payments processor in the US, we are ( as of about 3 years now) jeans casual. Our CEO even comes in in jeans. If I am not going to be in front of a client, select vendors, or regulators, I am in jeans and a button down. I dont wear polos due to full sleeve tattoos...no one has ever told me I cant, however, I feel long sleeves are more professional :)
    I work for th
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wear jeans and a polo. I have overdressed before and it wasn't a good impression.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone told me jeans and a polo, I would interpret that as casual pants and a polo. I don't wear jeans and I'm definitely not going to go out and buy jeans for an interview.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    If you don't own jeans that's one thing, but Id venture a guess that 90%+ of the adult working population owns a pair of jeans.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    On the mainland ( outside of Hawaii ) I always wore extremely expensive suits and custom shoes to interviews.( leads to a point , I am not trying to brag...) That combined with a nice lapel pin and a master mason ring was my SOP for all interviews. I always worked hard to dress " two levels up" if that makes sense... Once I moved to Hawaii I realized that Aloha shirt and dress slacks were the way to go. See how everyone else is dressing and try to follow the trend but I would stay away from jeans unless you have one hell of a resume to back you up. It is common in the engineering sector to see people in jeans and even have pony tails but those guys usually are pretty stacked in terms of education and experience.
  • Options
    This whole thread feels like an example of completely over thinking it. The guy isn't tying to play games. The place is casual. He told you what to wear. Seems like a no brainer to me....
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jeans and a nice button down sounds like a good compromise if you're not all the way comfy with the polo idea.