is it just me or did SANS jack up its prices

2»

Comments

• Options
    bassmen999bassmen999 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh yes they did!
  • Options
    abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's a high demand for Cyber Security training, nonetheless they are ANSI certified.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know what the instructors make, but my instructor said he makes way more money doing security consulting, so they are not teaching for the money.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm reviving this thread because while planning my 2017 training I noticed prices for courses after 1/1/2017 went up again to $5,910. Ouch!
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm reviving this thread because while planning my 2017 training I noticed prices for courses after 1/1/2017 went up again to $5,910. Ouch!

Who can compete on quality with what they are doing? This is a lot like the housing bubble. SANS training is going to get more expensive until a competitor makes a quality competing product or the job market is saturated with competent people. Looks like I will need to put on the charm and make use of my boyish good looks to get in line for a work study opportunity next year.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Who can compete on quality with what they are doing? This is a lot like the housing bubble. SANS training is going to get more expensive until a competitor makes a quality competing product or the job market is saturated with competent people. Looks like I will need to put on the charm and make use of my boyish good looks to get in line for a work study opportunity next year.

As someone who has done SANS, I can say that elearnsecurity is a good alternative that is slightly cheaper.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    As someone who has done SANS, I can say that elearnsecurity is a good alternative that is slightly cheaper.

"Slightly" hah. When I have to go to my director and suggest training and I say, "well, one is the best, it's about 6K per person per class, the other is really good, but it's about 1K per person" it becomes a much harder sell.
  • Options
    cavijayancavijayan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the prices are going up yearly for the past 2 / 3 years.

It is a well established brand name training with very few competitors. People are still taking them. I guess, mostly, companies are paying for it.
  • Options
    cavijayancavijayan Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, not all SANS courses will have the same demand. So, they may need to drop the days or price of some courses.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    "Slightly" hah. When I have to go to my director and suggest training and I say, "well, one is the best, it's about 6K per person per class, the other is really good, but it's about 1K per person" it becomes a much harder sell.

Not true. I would tell them that if they want to pay that 6k then go for it. If you want someone to get the education but there's a pinch then do the other
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

I pointed this out two months ago, you even commented on the thread. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Dang, you guys post too much and I'm gettng old and can't remeber things like I used to icon_smile.gif. Now I'm afraid my next post will be "I just found a new cert, Cybersecurity Analyst +"
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dang, you guys post too much and I'm gettng old and can't remeber things like I used to icon_smile.gif. Now I'm afraid my next post will be "I just found a new cert, Cybersecurity Analyst +"

You could also post something original like: how much you love EC-Council certs and why they are the best...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sans is out pricing themselves. Many employers will not see paying that much.
    now maybe 2 or 3 people at that price. With that price plus travel!!! Definitely an ouch!!!
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It makes the OnDemand option look even more appealing. While I don't have any problems with annual SANS training (via live instruction) with my current employer, the time and energy involved in going to a conference is starting to weigh heavy on me. WorkStudy seems like a viable option, although you don't have as much flexibility as to what you can take when you want it and where you want it to be.

At this point I've done half of my SANS training via OnDemand and the other at an actual SANS conference. If you still prefer the interaction with other students for something like a Day 6 capstone/CTF, then vLive or Simulcast might be viable options. No travel/accommodation costs there. You're probably a little detached from being "in the moment" watching instruction via your home computer compared to sitting in an actual classroom, but it may be easier to justify for a limited training budget.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/