Options

Anyone ever have a one way interview?

Had a phone call about a NOC position this afternoon and apparently I'll be doing a one way interview Thursday or Friday. It's not the same as a Skype interview. From what I was told you read questions on screen and then answer them through a headset. That was pretty much all she said. Anyone ever have something like this? If so what was your experience and how did you like it? I had no idea this was a thing.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's kind of strange. So basically they just record it and then they review how you respond to each question? Guess it saves them time but not sure how I feel about it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Never heard of it and I'd probably pass on something like that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Sounds like the kind of place that tracks how much time you spend in the bathroom. Pass from me as well.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hi quickman007,

I have had an interview like that a few weeks ago. They had like 6 basic behavioural questions on the screen and I had 30 seconds to think about my response and 3 minutes for the actual response. From what I know they use it to make it convenient for both parties (no set time, you can take it when you feel most comfortable). The managers will take all the responses and watch all the responses for every person who applied for the job. They then decide who had the best responses and contact you regarding the next steps. That's how it was in my experience. Hope this helped.

Justin
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yeah, I had to do some googling to see that this was a thing. I have to say that I do not like it and would say "nope, thanks". I just learned that there's a company called Spark Hire who provides this service. Their selling point is "you can do 10 video interviews in the time it takes you to interview one candidate face to face. It definitely saves time on their end but provides zero benefit for the candidate.

So in a nutshell, employers being selfish and shortcutting the process in their favor.
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Yeah, I'm feeling awkward about it. However, she did say I could come down to the office if I preferred. The job is about 90 minutes away (Which she knew) and by her wording it seemed like she figured this would be more convenient for us both. Probably should have mentioned that in my post.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    So in a nutshell, employers being selfish and shortcutting the process in their favor.

That's how I see it as well. If the employer is doing this from the interview process, how is it going to be when you're working there? No thanks.
  • Options
    What is the in person like? A two way mirror? If they were going to use the time anyway why not just have a skype or something? I'm very weary of places with bad candidate vetting practices. I've had crappy coworkers too many times.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a lazy way to pre screen a bunch of candidates and use the results to choose who they will actually interview in person.

sounds impersonal and might be a sign of the work culture overall....
  • Options
    I feel like they get a lot of weird reactions from it, when I asked her how the one way interview worked she started laughing. I'm going to go through with it just for experience and to see what this is all about. Now that everyone brings it up, it is pretty lazy they couldn't just give me a call to ask a few questions...

Blah, hate to pass up any opportunity for networking experience but I'd rather wait than be trapped in a crappy job.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did one of these before. Didn't mind it. And I got the job after a subsequent Skype interview.

It's basically a way to screen a large field of candidates while allowing many people to evaluate the candidate and their responses. It's not a time saver but more of a schedule saver. Imagine trying to schedule 5-person panel interviews for 10 candidates. All 5 people need to provide their feedback. The one way interview allows them to do that when it works in their schedules.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE FROM PREVIOUS POST

IMO, that is overkill for a NOC position.
  • Options
    Well thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. I'll most likely do the interview on Friday and give some feedback on how it went.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did one of those interviews once, freaking hated it. It feels like you're on stage doing improv and can't see the audience and nobody is laughing. I will never do it again unless google calls.
  • Options
    renacido wrote: »
    I did one of these before. Didn't mind it. And I got the job after a subsequent Skype interview.

It's basically a way to screen a large field of candidates while allowing many people to evaluate the candidate and their responses. It's not a time saver but more of a schedule saver. Imagine trying to schedule 5-person panel interviews for 10 candidates. All 5 people need to provide their feedback. The one way interview allows them to do that when it works in their schedules.

I don't think many companies are doing 5 person interviews for the first interview though. It's usually one or two people maybe asking som preliminary questions before setting up the whole shebang. So I think that is kind of irrelevant for an initial screening of candidates.
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    I did this with a very well known company. I logged into a portal and it turned on my webcam. They had a person with pre-recorded questions. I then had to answer the question just as if it was a real interview. I had 30 seconds to think about a response and then was given 5 minutes to answer. They also had a practice section before you went in to the actual recorded interview. Also, the link was good for a week so take these responses and think about it.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heard of it and someone wanted me to do one and I said nope. Figured if you do not have time to sit down with me and discuss the opportunity with me then I do not have time for you. Imagine if they were that busy how busy you would be. Also it may allude to the fact that they are turning over people so quick that they are turning to this to get enough people to replace the folks going out the backdoor. I interview everyone personally over the phone, face 2 face whatever I make time when I am interested in an applicant. If tech wants to go with this impersonal approach then I do not want to be a part of it.I am old school that way and feel there is somethings you cannot replace. I get they may want every applicant asked the same thing in the same manner so there is no bias, but that is not an interview. Every candidate should have a tailored interview according to what their skills are. Also you could not judge how the person would play on a team or build that initial rapport with the applicant or the applicant with you.
  • Options
    jimjamesjimjames Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Things are getting automated now. Eventually everything will be automated in the work place. It's the time, whether you like or not. I'd say do the interview, nothing to lose.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    renacido wrote: »

I could also see this as a bias saver in some respects too. If as in your example 3-4 different "judges" let's call them, can review each candidate independently scoring them on different traits. Personally, I think it sounds weird too. However, eventually the tech will be there to completely automate the process where a real person doesn't even vet the initial 1000 applicants. It will all be done in an automated algorithmically set way. You remove bias based on gender and race doing it that way.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i had a somewhat similar experience although not 100% one way. Mine was over the phone for a DoD job, paying over six figures.

I knew it was going to be this way going in, but it was still way weird. Initially they did their greetings, explained the company and position, then told me I was to basically sell myself and they would go on mute.

And that' what they did, they just muted the phone, and I just talked with no response for like 20 to 30 minutes. Then they said the time was up.

I found it super unpleasant, I did not get the job, and I got almost no feedback.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    How in the world is that fair for the candidate? Heck, the employer needs to know about me, sure. But I need to know about them too. When did interviews become monologues?
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i had a somewhat similar experience although not 100% one way. Mine was over the phone for a DoD job, paying over six figures.

I knew it was going to be this way going in, but it was still way weird. Initially they did their greetings, explained the company and position, then told me I was to basically sell myself and they would go on mute.

And that' what they did, they just muted the phone, and I just talked with no response for like 20 to 30 minutes. Then they said the time was up.

I found it super unpleasant, I did not get the job, and I got almost no feedback.

That made me cringe. That is a horrible way to interview someone.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    She did give me some info about the company. From what I was told they're an MSP that seems to do a large amount of network monitoring. She said they have several big contracts. Not sure if I should give out the names of the organizations but they're ones we've all heard of and been to. It seems like they're a decent sized company which would explain the weird automated screening.

She also said they would schedule an in person interview at a later date if it got that far.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah,

The first of heard of this type of "interview" was last year. I was sent an email saying they liked my resume. I needed go to some url and obviously I needed a web cam on my computer and I would be instructed on how to do the interview. However I declined it.

If I can't see who is "interviewing" me then I'm not going to let them see me either.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Yeah, I had to do some googling to see that this was a thing. I have to say that I do not like it and would say "nope, thanks". I just learned that there's a company called Spark Hire who provides this service. Their selling point is "you can do 10 video interviews in the time it takes you to interview one candidate face to face. It definitely saves time on their end but provides zero benefit for the candidate.

Companies will lose out on a lot of quality candidates who will refuse to do such a thing. So it's going to hurt companies as well.
  • Options
    I've decided I'm just going to wing it. Tomorrow is casual day so they'll have to deal with casual attire. icon_cool.gif Luckily I've got another opportunity that looks very promising with a company I know is good.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    We've recently had a thread here about attire, I would be leary of this type of interview, but if I was going to go through it, I would dress professional and skip 'causal day'. You'll get another causal day, and this may be your one shot...but I could not take a company very serious if this was their desired method to select candidates...
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should totally take the interview, but make up your own questions (for a completely different profession) and answer them.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    or start swatting at flies buzzing around your head
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Forget that job and one sided interview BS. If they can't take the time to give me their undivided attention for the interview, than they don't get to have me come work there.