Options

4 yrs Degrees

2»

Comments

• Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Well yes if it is specific classes such as that, I'm sure there are a larger number of schools that will allow that. However, some make you test in/out and see where you are, and even though you have taken it they make you take it again.

I was mostly referring to the section of the degree that says "Language", "Modern Society", etc. icon_cool.gif
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually people...if we think about it, most of the time, the HR department who does the hiring, knows "NOTHING" about the IT field anyway. Also, when they sift through the resumes I bet they are scanning for Certs, experience, and a 4 year degree. I really don't think they actually take the time to fully examine which degree you hold, be it Networking, Programming, or English LOL. If you really think about it, what does a degree show.....the ability to learn. You get the same degree if you have a 2.0 or a 4.0 average. Also, another disturbing fact to take in, what do they call the student who graduates at the bottom of his class in Medical School.........
    "DOCTOR" :o
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You get the same degree if you have a 2.0 or a 4.0 average.

Not true. Most universities will add "with distinction" or "with honors" to a degree for those who graduate above 3.5 GPA.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    int80h wrote:

Not true. Most universities will add "with distinction" or "with honors" to a degree for those who graduate above 3.5 GPA.

Also, the GPA value is not equivalent across all universities. For example, a 4.0 GPA at MIT or CalTech is worth far more than a 4.0 GPA at UCLA. And a 4.0 GPA at UCLA might be equivalent to only a 2.5 GPA at either MIT or CalTech.

So it's not just your GPA, but also where you get it.
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    MIT is on the 5.0 system (can get D's). If you got a 4.0 which is actually a high B... you could be slick and make it look like you went through with flying colors. icon_twisted.gif
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    int80h wrote:

Also, the GPA value is not equivalent across all universities. For example, a 4.0 GPA at MIT or CalTech is worth far more than a 4.0 GPA at UCLA. And a 4.0 GPA at UCLA might be equivalent to only a 2.5 GPA at either MIT or CalTech.

So it's not just your GPA, but also where you get it.

Are you talking about if you transfer to one of these institutions? I am sure employers have different ways to "weight" GPA's from different schools, but I have never heard of a standard scale of weighting based on different schools.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    raross wrote:
    I am sure employers have different ways to "weight" GPA's from different schools, but I have never heard of a standard scale of weighting based on different schools.
    Yes they do and I haven't either.

My point is that a GPA is not an absolute value; it is always weighed in the context of the institution it came from.