Options

IT jobs with lots of downtime?

SanDieSanDie Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I heard that System/Network Administrator and Computer Operator have a lot of downtime. Is that true? What about System/Network Engineer (as opposed to administrator)?

If so, what is allowable on downtime, looking at websites (things like reading news articles?), reading a book you brought along, reading a book on your phone?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really depends on the environment and business rather than the position. That being said, usually the more of a reactive role you have, the more chance for downtime depending on staffing.

Depends on the company here. Any company I've dealt with doesn't mind if you are studying for a cert or working on school for an IT related degree. News articles are fine too if they are tech related. I would limit Facebook and stuff like that.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Downtime is not a good term for a system admin/net admin/engineer hahaha.

If you work in a goal basis, you are OK with some spare time here and there as long as you achieve your goals.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last two companies had some downtime. I used it for studying and reading. I did surf the net here and there only because us engineers were isolated and away from anyone else, but I usually have cert goals each year and need my downtime to advance in those areas. I did not facebook or social media stuff. I would use youtube but only to learn about a technology or for work related informational purposes.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't say there is a lot of downtime in my experience. But you shouldn't super busy all the time either. You do have to be prepared for when something goes wrong and you have to spend a lot of time of it.

With downtime you should really be working on how you can improve processes or how to better the company. Like lately I've been working on scripts to speed up audits and user access setup. I like to watch videos on certs I'm studying for or ***** this forum when I'm not doing that though. Been busy as he## this last month though... icon_sad.gif

Edit: LOL I just saw one of my words I used was *bleeped* out above. Can't use the term for "a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance." I guess. (just looked up the definition of it) funny
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    My old position had a lot of downtime. I was able to study for my CCIE. Although, I don't have as much time as before as soon as I got promoted.
  • Options
    What was that old position called?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Hmm..it all depends.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BCP/DR has lots of downtime, until a major issue occurs that is.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with markulous.

@ SanDie -

As I've moved on to more complex roles I've had more downtime because I have less repetitive/random tasks. When I'm not working on a project or saving the company I find plenty of study time. When I worked in the NOC it was one phone call/ticket/email after another nonstop, but I still managed to study for the CCNA whenever a free moment arose. What's allowable during downtime varies from place to place. I currently use my downtime to read security material and check out techexams. :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »

LOL I bet!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are all lucky you have downtime. I haven't had any downtime at my job since I first started. I would do anything for some downtime here.
  • Options
    You are all lucky you have downtime. I haven't had any downtime at my job since I first started. I would do anything for some downtime here.
    What job do you have?
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »

What does BCP/DR stand for?
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SanDie wrote: »
    What does BCP/DR stand for?

Business Continuity Planning/Disaster Recovery

Quite a bit of down time here lately, and my last job as well. I studied for my CCNA-Sec and MCSE concurrently at my last job, and in doing so it opened the door to my current one. Took that time to also fly through my BSIT, and am on track to finish the MSITM by the end of the year (hoping SJT2 comes back with a thumbs up tonight or tomorrow). I don't see down time as a bad thing...if you have it, treat it like an asset and get the most out of it.

We have a little joke here...if you see us working hard, something is broken. I don't think we have to feel like we must be doing something all the time in order to be effective. Some things can't be done in earnest during business hours, so if you work in a place that has shifts, a lot of work happens out of view from the day crowd.
  • Options
    Is "Business Continuity Planning/Disaster Recovery" a job title or part of the job description. Which job would do this thing? Also how many years of experience would you need usually?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP, what are you getting at? Are you looking for a job exclusively for the purpose of having down time, no matter what it is? A little context would get better answers.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP wants a job where he can be lazy and watch YouTube all day, no matter the title.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    OP, what are you getting at? Are you looking for a job exclusively for the purpose of having down time, no matter what it is? A little context would get better answers.

Yes, I'm looking for the job with most downtime.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I heard there's a lot of downtime if you run a business that's running very slow.
  • Options
    Yeah but why? Do you want someone to pay you so you can a)play games, b)study for certs, c)study for a degree. d)<<insert reason here>>.

It doesn't make sense to me. It's really odd for people to come here saying "what the least i can do.." so that piques my curiosity.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Yeah but why? Do you want someone to pay you so you can a)play games, b)study for certs, c)study for a degree. d)<<insert reason here>>.

It doesn't make sense to me. It's really odd for people to come here saying "what the least i can do.." so that piques my curiosity.

d. I wanted to read lots of books.
  • Options
    Would a server engineer have more downtime than a network engineer?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get a Master of Science in Information Science and then try getting a job at the university library. You'd have legitimate excuse to reach a bunch of books.
  • Options
    Wouldn't they just organize the books and not have much time to read them though?
  • Options
    @ SanDie,

Have you considered unemployment? Plenty of downtime when you don't have a job. If you want to read lots of books then just go to the library.

Tip: During the "do you have any questions for us" portion of an interview, please do not ask how much downtime is available.
  • Options
    Not sure if this thread is serious or not but the big vein my head is about to explode.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think we are being a bit harsh here without knowing the full background of why the question is being asked. I remember one of my first interviews for a "computer operator" job where i would basically be sitting in a room from 10Pm-6am and ensure that all the batch jobs ran without any errors etc. and during the interview i was asked if i had any hobbies i did at nights. I asked the interviewer/hiring manager why he had asked that question and he said " well basically 95% of the time you will be sitting here alone doing nothing" to which i responded YES well i guess i can study for my computer science classes i was attending. he then said perfect you are the one for this job. I did get an offer at that time for 25K but refused it as i was also offered another role for 35k :) so maybe he is asking because he needs time to study who knows.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Graveyard shift as a computer operator in a data center left me copious amounts of downtime. I spent it all watching anime, playing videogames, or wandering across town with co-workers. Didn't make any sort of livable wage there but I had less expenses too. Probably should have studied but I'm lazy. Right now I'm a sysadmin with a few hours of my workday put aside specifically for me to study but that's not normal.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SanDie wrote: »
    Would a server engineer have more downtime than a network engineer?

Are you basing your future off of which IT job has the most downtime? To be honest the questions you are asking are a bit strange. Find something you enjoy doing first (such as networking, sysadmin, etc) and if having downtime is so important, you can find a place like that. But saying a sysadmin has tons of downtime and a network admin has absolutely none (or visa versa) isn't going to be accurate.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OP Read this for BCP/DR https://www.drii.org/certification/certification.php

Now back to the topic at hand. There is really no job out there that has constant downtime, the downtime gets created either because the headcount is enough to distribute the work around so that everyone does something or because the systems run all in perfect harmony. To this day i have not worked in such a utopia. Well maybe at my last job where we had a 4 man team doing the work of a 2 man team.

The thing is, even when there is downtime, you are suppose to be working so that things don't break down.

So there you have it, find a company that has plenty of employees, don't expect to get paid crazy money though.