Options

IT jobs with lots of downtime?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Not sure why people are trying to give OP advice on how they should get a busy job with progressive IT career (good intentions I know) but that's not the OP question.

OP, yes plenty of IT jobs have downtime, sysadmin comes to mind BUT it depends on the company, direct manager, duties....as a general rule you will be busy in the first few months when you learn the ropes of how everything works then you can relax and do whatever that you intend to do.

The example of a computer operator is a solid one...some HAS to do that job and it does come with tons of downtime. There are so many jobs like that...

A lot of work tend to be repetitive brainless work, and some people LOVE sending emails/going to meetings/ and running around all day...each to their own and I understand where they come from.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SanDieSanDie Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Graveyard shift as a computer operator in a data center left me copious amounts of downtime. I spent it all watching anime, playing videogames, or wandering across town with co-workers. Didn't make any sort of livable wage there but I had less expenses too. Probably should have studied but I'm lazy. Right now I'm a sysadmin with a few hours of my workday put aside specifically for me to study but that's not normal.

What was the wage?
    Would server operator or engineer be a good preparation to become a Computer Operator?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Smells like a t-r-o-l-l to me...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    These administrators are usually on call at all times, ready to respond to any system problem that may arise. Network administrators spend a lot of time in front of computers monitoring the network to ensure it is working at its designated capacity. Network Engineer Vs. Network Administrator | Chron.com
    Remains on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, to respond to emergencies concerning systems software and hardware. https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oakgov/jobs/1288006/systems-administrator-ii

If for a job like this you are on-call 24 hours a day, since you can be woken up in the middle of the night do you lose sleeps? In compensation for that do you have more downtime during the work hours?
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    OP Read this for BCP/DR https://www.drii.org/certification/certification.php

So there you have it, find a company that has plenty of employees, don't expect to get paid crazy money though.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »

OP, yes plenty of IT jobs have downtime, sysadmin comes to mind BUT it depends on the company, direct manager, duties....as a general rule you will be busy in the first few months when you learn the ropes of how everything works then you can relax and do whatever that you intend to do.

The example of a computer operator is a solid one...some HAS to do that job and it does come with tons of downtime. There are so many jobs like that...

So computer operator is the best bet as a job that has the most downtime? If you started out as network/server engineer would the skills be translatable to becoming a computer operator? I searched for the jobs in the US and it seems the jobs are not so numerous as Network/system engineers/administrators.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @SanDie: Without knowing your background and skills it's hard to tell. becoming a network engineer can take years, so depends on your level. As a general rule, look for jobs (now) that promote 'work/life' balance, or monitoring type jobs...again this is a generalisation. Go for interviews and ask clearly...computer operator job needs less skill than net/sys admin/engineer...in general!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    If you get a job as a Network/Server Engineer for the first time, how many years should you work before you quit, if you want to be hired again in the same field (just to take a break from work, maybe travel somewhere)? Do they care about gaps between your work history?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have a resume? I've been looking for a sys admin who doesn't want to work much and might quit at anytime... Sounds like we might have a good fit here.
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SanDie wrote: »
    If you get a job as a Network/Server Engineer for the first time, how many years should you work before you quit, if you want to be hired again in the same field (just to take a break from work, maybe travel somewhere)? Do they care about gaps between your work history?

Are you looking for employment to fill some time? This makes it sound like you don't "have" to work but would like something to do to fill in gaps while you enjoy life. Just curious.
  • Options
    No. I want to know if I get into this line of work if I would be stuck for years without opportunity of rest if I want to keep on working.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Generally I'm busy Monday to Wednesday, and usually crazy bored Thursday and Friday. I try to work on studying for my certs, but there's only so much of that I can do a day. I fill in the rest of my time with posting on forums like this one, youtube and the occasional foam ball fight with co-workers.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No. I want to know if I get into this line of work if I would be stuck for years without opportunity of rest if I want to keep on working.

opportunity of rest? that's called the weekend.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are more interested in the amount of downtime than the actual work then this isn't the field for you...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    If you are more interested in the amount of downtime than the actual work then this isn't the field for you...

Thread closed.

Actually, from what he is saying it looks like he wont be able to do any job. Theres no such thing as downtime so that you can satisfy your own desires. That's called vacation, weekend, or lunch. For any other time you spend at work you are expected to do something work related.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    If you want downtime, get a job with the federal govt (if you are in USA). I know plenty of guys over there that just watch youtube all day.

Alternatively, you could join the military and get some downtime. And when I say downtime, I mean in the push-up position. :D
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What was the wage?
    Would server operator or engineer be a good preparation to become a Computer Operator?

As a computer operator? It was the same as what lazy burger flippers want minimum wage to be raised to.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a job as a security guard in a very safe place= lots of downtime. Get a seasonal job that provides months off for travel.

One big thing we are missing here. Work contracts. Get a contract finish successfully= good reference. Use your personal time as you see fit until the next contract.

Also work an undesirable shift.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've bounced around from jobs with lots of downtime (government) to other jobs (startups) that you work frantically at. Right now I prefer downtime but that could change.
  • Options
    bpenn wrote: »
    If you want downtime, get a job with the federal govt (if you are in USA). I know plenty of guys over there that just watch youtube all day.

Alternatively, you could join the military and get some downtime. And when I say downtime, I mean in the push-up position. icon_biggrin.gif

What is the job title with the fed govt that allows downtime?
  • Options
    I wanted to know if I quit after only 1 year of my first job as a network/server engineer, there might be someone willing to hire me instead of saying "you only worked a year on your first job, that doesn't count"
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

The job title you are looking for is "retired".
  • Options
    Does IT Helpdesk allow lots of downtime?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does IT Helpdesk allow lots of downtime?

Yes! IT helpdesk has the most downtime of all the IT jobs! It also has pretty good salary based on the latest surveys you could make at least 90K with just the A+ comptia certificate. I would suggest you take the job if you find one.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    From what I experienced with help desk, the only down time was lunch..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang, I don't even get a lunch.

Sometimes, it can get frustrating seeing these surveys that give false hope and make people believe they can just walk right into these high paying jobs. For example, I have a friend who recently decided they were going to change their career to "IT Security". This was solely based on surveys saying that it was the big thing and you can make well over six figures. I tried to help but they enrolled in a college program - didn't even make it a full semester before realizing what they were getting into and rolled back to their previous job and gave up.

SanDie - it's called work because you go there to work. You have a "job" to do.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Forum trolling doesn't seem to have much downtime, might want to avoid that one.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□

You must be thinking of Senator.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417

Prisoner.
    I hear you even get free accommodation and food... ;)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No..a congressman
    Never let your fear decide your fate....