Is the content in MTA Networking Fundamentals 98-366 still relevant or isit outdated?

I want to learn some basic networking and K find following an exam guide and sitting the exam really helps me, I have concerns that technology has advanced so much since this exam came out that its content is no longer relevant but as I know little about networking I am unsure so would like advice.

Many Thanks

Comments

• FayzFayz ■■■□□□□□□□ Posts: 118Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    The content is still relevant to today's standards. It covers a lot of the basics from topology to specifics of Twisted Pair wiring standards. If you are looking for more in depth information you are better off taking the Network+ which covers more than the basics that the MTA 98-366 covers.
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Senior Member PA Posts: 463Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have read here as well as other places on the internet that MTA 98-366 along with Comptia Network plus and Cisco CCENT have a lot of overlap so it would make sense to get all 3. It's a-lot of foundational knowledge but when has that ever hurt anyone. Plus you get HR love depending who is looking.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 817Mod Mod
    Fayz wrote: »
    The content is still relevant to today's standards. It covers a lot of the basics from topology to specifics of Twisted Pair wiring standards. If you are looking for more in depth information you are better off taking the Network+ which covers more than the basics that the MTA 98-366 covers.

+1. I would recommend the Network+ over the MTA. I have both but did my MTA back in my apprenticeship, and having done both I would say the Network+ covers a wider range of networking concepts than the MTA does. No need to do both or the CCENT, just go for the Network+ and if you decide to further your career in Networking, do the CCNA afterwards.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson